Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,547 of 1,886
@mrspeakers mentioned that you can tune the upper frequencies by lowering the headphones on your head. This works very well for me during brighter tracks and albums, so I decided to measure my E3 with that in mind. This is a nice trick, so you don't need two different earpads or EQ, for example.

1710966154553.png

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,548 of 1,886
Informative, thanks ! So my brain must be wired upside down, because I felt that with the E3 lower on the head, the sound was less bassy, and more controlled. But it's the contrary that happens, it's the trebles that get attenuated. Ok... ^^' I'll see myself out.
----------
I still hope an E3 impulse response graph will be shared online at some point.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,549 of 1,886
Informative, thanks ! So my brain must be wired upside down, because I felt that with the E3 lower on the head, the sound was less bassy, and more controlled. But it's the contrary that happens, it's the trebles that get attenuated. Ok... ^^' I'll see myself out.
----------
I still hope an E3 impulse response graph will be shared online at some point.
It depends a lot on your ear geometry, measurements use an average ear shape so you might get different results.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #1,550 of 1,886
With extended listening I'm finding E3 to be fatiguing and significantly brighter in the upper midrange than my other DCA headphones especially with metal. I think I'm pretty sensitive to this region and have always used the two notch white filters on Aeons/Ethers. I absolutely love the treble and detail from the E3, but the region where electric guitar and saxophone come in (4 kHz region?) can be pretty fatiguing on some tracks and can dominate the sound signature. This is extremely track dependent and the upper midrange is totally fine (like perfect) for many tracks. I've tried repositioning the cups but haven't noted much of a difference.

I've only compared to Stealth for about 10 minutes or so but audio memory is fleeting. I'm thinking Stealth may be more what I'm looking for but I've read that it might be too laid back for metal. Any comparisons to Stealth for primarily metal (death, black, doom, progressive, thrash) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #1,552 of 1,886
Does anyone have experience with both the E3 and Aeon 2 Noire EQ'd to their preference target?

I can pick up the latter at a bargain price so I'm curious to know how they compare after EQ.
Noire does not have the dynamics of E3 at least - as part of the overall ability...any of the Aeons.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #1,553 of 1,886
I wonder how a Stealth with the DCA "clamp screws" and "3-to-5 plates per cup" set would compare with the E3.

A Stealth without an augmented clamp would definitely not work for me and my thin head, but the sound I got from it when I was slightly pressing the cups was incredible... The global equilibrium and clarity, the very pristine clean bass and sub bass, and the astonishing details on snare trailing ends are audio memories that stick with me. A minutia I've never heard elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #1,556 of 1,886
A Stealth without an augmented clamp would definitely not work for me and my thin head, but the sound I got from it when I was slightly pressing the cups was incredible... The global equilibrium and clarity, the very pristine clean bass and sub bass, and the astonishing details on snare trailing ends are audio memories that stick with me. A minutia I've never heard elsewhere.
So is this compared to E3, and the feeling is bass can be a bit better? What happes when E3 is slightly pressed from the cups?

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #1,557 of 1,886
Yes, it's compared to the E3.

E3 fit is much better than Stealth fit. I don't need to press the E3 to get bass. It's perfect from the get go, but I take care of placing the E3 as suggested by DCA (the ears must touch the top and rear of the pads).

The sound varies inside the E3 cup, but to a lesser degree compared to the Stealth. Once positioned correctly on the head, The E3 clamp stabilizes the headphones and the sound signature. My experience is different with the slightly lighter Stealth. It tends to move. Its low clamping force participates to this phenomenon. Note that the Stealth pads are shallow compared to the E3 pad. I'm sure the shape of the pads is a major factor in the fit/clamp/passive isolation discrepancies I experience between the E3 and the Stealth. The AMTS development/deployment, on the other hand, impacts the sound signature stability, according to DCA. E3 AMTS deployment takes cues from the Corina AMTS that got released after the Stealth & Expanse.

Would a DCA clamp screw set change my Stealth listening experience ? The clamp would be improved very probably. I would still need to position the Stealth on my head very precisely, or I would experience shifts in sound signature from listening sessions to listening sessions. Sound signature shifts are lessened on the E3.

Stealth bass, to me is subjectively better than E3 bass yes. Because I heard it more defined, quicker/dynamic, and pure (no distortion). The E3 on the other hand has a different kind of bass. It's quantity over quality, to my ears. It depends on what you want I guess... I'd say Stealth sound overall is a bit more neutral and revealing than E3 sound, the discriminating factor being the bass qualities, and the tuning choices ! Note that my goal is pure neutral audio reproduction for production and mixing. I won't do much casual music listening on my DCA in the future. Right now I listen to a lot of things on the E3 to tune my ears to its sound signature. I don't want distortion on the low frequencies, because my job is to tune distortion in and maximize uniform translation across all monitoring systems (from Apple earbuds to ATC monitors)... But for listeners, the absence of distortion in the bass might make it less palatable, I guess ?

If budget permits, I might consider finding a Stealth with a DCA screw and plates clamp set to compare its sound to the E3 in the studio.

If anybody knows a parisian hi-fi shop where I can listen to the Corina, please share the info :).

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,558 of 1,886
Stealth bass, to me is subjectively better than E3 bass yes. Because I heard it more defined, quicker/dynamic, and pure (no distortion). The E3 on the other hand has a different kind of bass. It's quantity over quality, to my ears. It depends on what you want I guess... I'd say Stealth sound overall is a bit more neutral and revealing than E3 sound, the discriminating factor being the bass qualities, and the tuning choices ! Note that my goal is pure neutral audio reproduction for production and mixing. I won't do much casual music listening on my DCA in the future. Right now I listen to a lot of things on the E3 to tune my ears to its sound signature. I don't want distortion on the low frequencies, because my job is to tune distortion in and maximize uniform translation across all monitoring systems (from Apple earbuds to ATC monitors)... But for listeners, the absence of distortion in the bass might make it less palatable, I guess ?
Thanks for the reply.
I have heard somebody meniton, lowering the bass slightly, there is more resolution to E3, either EQ-ing or plugging the hole.

Can I ask another a bit crazy question, You mention Apple earbuds, so how different are E3 to lets say airpods pro models or even the regular apple pods versions for music listening? :)
If its even describable to some extent overall, though the question could be narrowed down to a specific area in mind. Specifics never seem to answer the question "how much different".
Still, can't hurt to ask, I suppose.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,559 of 1,886
I like the color coding! @lowlou 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back