Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,561 of 1,874
Opstck I'm not listening to them sorry for the confusion, but I think they might be one of the most used headphones nowadays. I'm using very clean PSI 21M, but what I try to say is that if I do things right, people will have a great time listening to the tracks on earbuds, and also on better systems such as my PSI, or ultra clean ATC. I currently work on PSI audio 21M, APS Klasiks 2015, cheap JBLs, cheap X-mini, cheap old Apple earphones (with cables), Beyerdynamic DT770, Beyerdynamic DT880. I added Marshal headphones recently (horrible). If bass & energy somewhat translates on all that, then I'm satisfied. The E3 is the latest addition. I'd like to ditch the PSI with awesome DCA headphones. If only the Stealth had a better fit on my head...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,562 of 1,874
With extended listening I'm finding E3 to be fatiguing and significantly brighter in the upper midrange than my other DCA headphones especially with metal. I think I'm pretty sensitive to this region and have always used the two notch white filters on Aeons/Ethers. I absolutely love the treble and detail from the E3, but the region where electric guitar and saxophone come in (4 kHz region?) can be pretty fatiguing on some tracks and can dominate the sound signature. This is extremely track dependent and the upper midrange is totally fine (like perfect) for many tracks. I've tried repositioning the cups but haven't noted much of a difference.

I've only compared to Stealth for about 10 minutes or so but audio memory is fleeting. I'm thinking Stealth may be more what I'm looking for but I've read that it might be too laid back for metal. Any comparisons to Stealth for primarily metal (death, black, doom, progressive, thrash) would be appreciated.
I encountered exactly the same problems with my E3 and happily I finally found a suitable solution by changing the cable, the Vivo is not the right cable and do not balance the sound well, I tried the Blue Dragon as advised by Moon Audio, but it add dynamics not welcomed at all, then I tried the Noir HPC MK2 from FORZA Audiworks, after over 130 hours of burning, the E3 finally sounds well balanced, no more fatigue on the trebles, dynamics with enough quantities, not too much, better death and bass and details still on top.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #1,563 of 1,874
I encountered exactly the same problems with my E3 and happily I finally found a suitable solution by changing the cable, the Vivo is not the right cable and do not balance the sound well, I tried the Blue Dragon as advised by Moon Audio, but it add dynamics not welcomed at all, then I tried the Noir HPC MK2 from FORZA Audiworks, after over 130 hours of burning, the E3 finally sounds well balanced, no more fatigue on the trebles, dynamics with enough quantities, not too much, better death and bass and details still on top.
… better death… 💀😇

But, yeah, I used that Noir on my LCD-XC while I had it, and it was one hell of a great cable. Do regret selling it…

Still trying to get accustomed to the fit of the E3… one of the very few who mind the clamping force 😒

If I really end up keeping it, might look into that Forza Noir again!

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,564 of 1,874
The E3 is the latest addition. I'd like to ditch the PSI with awesome DCA headphones. If only the Stealth had a better fit on my head...
Ok, fair enough, to You, it's more about making it possible to perfom when on the sound mixing.

To me, for music, it feels as most times somebody describles the sound compared to another headphone, both I have not heard, I don't know what to expect. If say a kitchen radio is my reference.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,565 of 1,874
Does anyone have experience with both the E3 and Aeon 2 Noire EQ'd to their preference target?

I can pick up the latter at a bargain price so I'm curious to know how they compare after EQ.
I've had both and compared the EQ'd Noire to the E3 and to me the E3 is noticeably better in soundstage depth, width and also the instrument seperation. Notes just seem to pop out of nowhere with the E3 and it has what I consider a more refined sound. Noire is a great sounding HP but the E3 is just better and for me doesn't need much EQ like my Noire did for my preference.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,566 of 1,874
Does anyone have experience with both the E3 and Aeon 2 Noire EQ'd to their preference target?

I can pick up the latter at a bargain price so I'm curious to know how they compare after EQ.
I listen to them both without EQ. For Aeon I use 2 notch white filters.

Aeon 2 Noire and E3 sound very different to me. E3 sounds actually closest to Aeon 1 (non RT) in my mind in terms of tuning. Aeon 1 was relatively flat in the mid bass and the RT version and to a greater extend Aeon Noire increased the mid-bass region. Aeon RT is relatively neutral to me in the midrange/upper midrange while Aeon 2 and to a greater extent Aeon Niore has the midrange further out / de-emphasized (with a greater sense of sound stage).

E3 is very flat/neutral sounding to me in the mid bass compared to the Aeon headphones but still has more of a bump vs. ETHER 2 or ETHER Cx. E3 is very midrange and upper midrange forward. So overall Aeon 2 Noire and E3 are at like opposite ends of the spectrum of midrange for me. I like all of these tunings honestly. I'd say Aeon 2 has more bass quantity and is more "fun" for bass heavy tracks, while the bass quality on E3 is much much cleaner. The clarity and resolution of E3 across the spectrum is night and day improved vs. Aeon 2.

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #1,567 of 1,874
2000+ replies on the thread now...wish there were more DAC and amp 'amazing synergy' discoveries...not saying there aren't, it just feels a bit thin on that stuff up till now....maybe a fantastic mid-range priced tube hybrid spotlight would make me keep E3...I just have low access to testing upstream gear where I am....spent a fortune rolling the dice on gear combos...done with that now.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,569 of 1,874
With extended listening I'm finding E3 to be fatiguing and significantly brighter in the upper midrange than my other DCA headphones especially with metal. I think I'm pretty sensitive to this region and have always used the two notch white filters on Aeons/Ethers. I absolutely love the treble and detail from the E3, but the region where electric guitar and saxophone come in (4 kHz region?) can be pretty fatiguing on some tracks and can dominate the sound signature. This is extremely track dependent and the upper midrange is totally fine (like perfect) for many tracks. I've tried repositioning the cups but haven't noted much of a difference.

I've only compared to Stealth for about 10 minutes or so but audio memory is fleeting. I'm thinking Stealth may be more what I'm looking for but I've read that it might be too laid back for metal. Any comparisons to Stealth for primarily metal (death, black, doom, progressive, thrash) would be appreciated.
Few people including myself have already said there is an issue with E3’s upper mid. You won’t be able to solve this by changing cables, adding inserts or EQ without messing up the sound profile and soundstage. I believe the upper mid issue goes beyond frequency response and could potentially be related to impulse response and diaphragm settling time or about diaphragm specific property.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,570 of 1,874
Few people including myself have already said there is an issue with E3’s upper mid. You won’t be able to solve this by changing cables, adding inserts or EQ without messing up the sound profile and soundstage. I believe the upper mid issue goes beyond frequency response and could potentially be related to impulse response and diaphragm settling time or about diaphragm specific property.
No disrespect but it's an "issue" for you, not for me. I also think using the term "issue" induces a feeling of - there is something wrong in the manufacturing- as in a defect. It does not have that it's just a matter of preference.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,571 of 1,874
2000+ replies on the thread now...wish there were more DAC and amp 'amazing synergy' discoveries...not saying there aren't, it just feels a bit thin on that stuff up till now....maybe a fantastic mid-range priced tube hybrid spotlight would make me keep E3...I just have low access to testing upstream gear where I am....spent a fortune rolling the dice on gear combos...done with that now.
I posted a pic of my amp of choice a little bit ago but I really love using it with my Topping DX9. Sounds sooooo good to me.

Also love it with my Topping E70V and L70 stack.

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #1,573 of 1,874

Some not-so-expensive SS amps that I like with E3 are Singxer SA-1, Aune S17 Pro, and (didn't expected it at first) ZMF Homage.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #1,574 of 1,874
Related to portable solutions I think E3 sounds amazing with iDSD signature (sadly discontinued). The amp/DAC section are a bit warm but detailed and makes a nice combination. I haven't tried with the Diablo yet. The Gryphon also sounds great, but seems a bit power constrained. That said it still sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,575 of 1,874
I’m traveling this week and this is the very first time I’m taking one of the “expensive” HPs on the trip. Never even occurred to me before, and, funny enough, was no criterion when buying the E3. However, the snug case and the comments in this thread (incl. the pics of the E3 and the iceberg) made me think twice and, boy, was that a great decision! :o2smile:

Listening to it right now via RU7 & the Portento Audio 4.4 out of an iPad, and don’t have any complaints with sound. On the contrary! Don’t have any direct comparisons with my stack, but actually quite happy to take a break from switching back and forth and picking up a number of headphones per listening session. Will be using this week, then, to enjoy the music, and to hopefully get used to the fit/clamp…

Actually been thinking about getting a headband cover/padding to try and force the E3 headband up, releasing the clamping force. When I lift the band up with my fingers, the pad seal still hold while releasing the pressure to a very comfortable level (for me). There’s hope…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back