Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #886 of 2,033
Is that using an unfamiliar system and about 30min or less of listening with few tracks?

Home demo with my own rig. So sorry I can not please you enough as I haven't use E3 for at least 6 months to create a proper impression.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #888 of 2,033
I'm pretty sure you've heard most of the HFM line? If you're up to it, could you compare E3 to Arya Organic &/or HE1000 stealth &/or HEKSE? Mostly interested in bass quality/quantity and macro-dynamics, but would take any and all comparative impressions.

Might be a weird request given those are open backs, but I'm just attempting to triangulate sound characteristics.

If I may jump in:

Arya Organic and HE1000 Stealth definitely a brighter, airier, and thinner sounding headphone than E3. All of them have decent attack notes (some called it macro dynamic?), but none of them is hard hitter like zmf caldera or abyss.

I can hear bass detail (like texture in Double Bass or Bass Guitar) a little better with E3 than the Hifimans.

Personally HE1000/Arya has really different sound signature compared to E3. Hifiman is more "audiophile" tuning, big wow factor with very apparent spacious soundstage, plenty of sparkle detail, sweet a bit mellow in vocal, in opposed of neutral, tight, and accurate sound presentation of E3.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #889 of 2,033
If I may jump in:

Arya Organic and HE1000 Stealth definitely a brighter, airier, and thinner sounding headphone than E3. All of them have decent attack notes (some called it macro dynamic?), but none of them is hard hitter like zmf caldera or abyss.

I can hear bass detail (like texture in Double Bass or Bass Guitar) a little better with E3 than the Hifimans.

Personally HE1000/Arya has really different sound signature compared to E3. Hifiman is more "audiophile" tuning, big wow factor with very apparent spacious soundstage, plenty of sparkle detail, sweet a bit mellow in vocal, in opposed of neutral, tight, and accurate sound presentation of E3.
E3 responds quite well to EQ too. I have the RME ADI-2 and it has excellent results with EQ.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #890 of 2,033
Home demo with my own rig. So sorry I can not please you enough as I haven't use E3 for at least 6 months to create a proper impression.
Not sure where you got the 6 months from. If you had a home demo and if your impression was only “it’s awesome” then why post at all? Seems super low effort and also invites unnecessary hype 🤔

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #891 of 2,033
Not sure where you got the 6 months from. If you had a home demo and if your impression was only “it’s awesome” then why post at all? Seems super low effort and also invites unnecessary hype 🤔
Low effort? What’s wrong with just posting initial impressions. Why such negativity for a forum post. Let the people enjoy it. Whether it is 1 week or 6 months people could change their mind. The whole point of this thread is to talk about the headphones. Why does it have to be a certain amount of “effort”.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #892 of 2,033
He didn't say it was "awesome". He said it was a "pleasant surprise" based on previous auditions of other DCA cans, and he then elaborated on various aspects of the E3's sonic presentation. I don't think there was any hype in his post.

Here's an idea: if you're not impressed with the E3, why don't you post an actual review instead of simply dropping vague negativity into the thread?

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #893 of 2,033
absolutely nothing wrong with first impressions but you have to live with something before passing judgment IMHO..I myself have owned several products that I initially thought were excellent but I soured on in short order...I used the example of the LCD-5 ,when I first heard it I liked it and in very short order I realized I didnt and sold it....I think lots of other people had the same impressions...the really great stuff passes the test of time...thats why the susvara and a few other products are great IMHO...

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #894 of 2,033

There are headphones highly rated & received that I don't think is worthy of its praise. I'll maybe make a post about it, but once I do, my job is done. I'll admit at first you've made some sense, but the more you're repeating yourself the more you're losing the crowd. I'm sure it's happened to everyone when we get a lil carried way, but at the end of the day you save face and say, "Apologies, I'll let you two continue the convo...I'll be on my way". Also not cool to police others by telling them what to think.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #895 of 2,033
I don’t understand what’s wrong with the hype for a headphone. It’s just people’s exhilarated reaction. It’s simply uplifting if nothing. That person is no authority, no one in charge of promoting the product. It is our responsibility to not be an idiot by not basing our purchase decisions only on this hype because it is all about them.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #898 of 2,033
I’ve had the Liric the Radiance the Atrium closed and the Atticus, tried Empyrean II and prefer the E3. It just fits my needs and sound preferences perfectly.
Speaking of hype I remember the time when Liric was touted as the endgame for closed back after its release 2 years ago. I liked them but sounded a tinge bit artificial.

As much as I love my Empyrean II, I actually prefer the E3's more natural, analytical sound signature even after swapping the Empys' duo & angled earpads. I just wished they were slightly more efficient since I'm always using my Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #899 of 2,033
Speaking of hype I remember the time when Liric was touted as the endgame for closed back after its release 2 years ago. I liked them but sounded a tinge bit artificial.

As much as I love my Empyrean II, I actually prefer the E3's more natural, analytical sound signature even after swapping the Empys' duo & angled earpads. I just wished they were slightly more efficient since I'm always using my Mojo 2.
It’s funny you use both natural and analytical in describing E3. Usually those are different, but I agree. E3 leans analytical, but is less analytical than Noires to me, and the dynamics of them do provide a more natural signature, while still proving all the great detail in the recording.

Oh, also, I mostly use them with Mojo2 and don’t lack for much at all, even compared to mTT2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back