Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 19, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #871 of 2,031
No such thing in this game.
Everyone has an objective and goal with reviews. I used to purchase expensive camera gear from sony canon etc. and there was a constant stream of new gear and hundreds of reviewers who would sing the praises of each new item and why you needed to buy it. At the end of the day, you can take a great photo with any camera. Audio is a bit different, though, because there is no creative aspect to the result of the gear selection, as sound is so personal and people are willing to spend 10s and sometimes 100s of thousands on gear in search of the golden unicorn of sound.

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #872 of 2,031
I think people needs to spend some time with them before providing their opinion - there are aspects of E3 that will become apparent after few days of listening. I just don't think these short impressions followed by "it's awesome" is helpful in any way.
so many new products are touted as fantastic as soon as they come out and then a reassessment takes place...it pays to give it a bit of time...the lcd-5 is one such product that comes to mind...first reactions were wildly positive followed by a reassessment for many

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #874 of 2,031
I think people needs to spend some time with them before providing their opinion - there are aspects of E3 that will become apparent after few days of listening. I just don't think these short impressions followed by "it's awesome" is helpful in any way.
Bro the E3 is fairly new. Give it time to marinate. In the meantime, if you have some opinion to counter the hype you've got the platform. Use it.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #875 of 2,031
I always know within a few days whether I’m going to like something or not. I cannot evaluate anything unless I actually have it. But my opinion may change over time. Some like the 800s however have stood the test of time and have earned their place in the audiophile hall of fame.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #876 of 2,031
Quick update - I officially own the E3 now and I've got a Mojo2 in for a bit. It does make an excellent pairing with the E3. Fun little (size, certainly not weight) unit. I don't typically bother with EQ, but it takes to tinkering pretty well.

I remember with the Noire I had an iFi Zen amp that I tried xbass on and actually caused slight rattle to the driver. Could have been a faulty unit for all I know, but not the case here.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #877 of 2,031
I always know within a few days whether I’m going to like something or not. I cannot evaluate anything unless I actually have it. But my opinion may change over time. Some like the 800s however have stood the test of time and have earned their place in the audiophile hall of fame.
Sometimes seconds due to tone, hard dryness somewhere or treble over-reach with no alt. after-market pads, even 5-10 minutes/1-hour with the list of previous gear for myself.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #878 of 2,031
Quick update - I officially own the E3 now and I've got a Mojo2 in for a bit. It does make an excellent pairing with the E3. Fun little (size, certainly not weight) unit. I don't typically bother with EQ, but it takes to tinkering pretty well.

I remember with the Noire I had an iFi Zen amp that I tried xbass on and actually caused slight rattle to the driver. Could have been a faulty unit for all I know, but not the case here.
Fantastic little thing the Mojo2. A small slice of high end.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #879 of 2,031
Fantastic little thing the Mojo2. A small slice of high end.
Curious about it, wonder what I'd lose going from Hugo2 to it with these mid-fi planar cans. I think there is a synergy issue with Hugo2 and E3...its seems to accent a hardness in upper mids and tad glare in lower treble..Hugo2 though is known to be on the brighter side..curious if R2R owners have that impression of those 2 regions ?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #880 of 2,031
Sometimes seconds due to tone, hard dryness somewhere or treble over-reach with no alt. after-market pads, even 5-10 minutes/1-hour with the list of previous gear for myself.
Also for me if the fit isn’t right I can’t consider. It can have most amazing sound but I can’t deal without a good comfortable fit. This has eliminated quite a few fun my list.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #881 of 2,031
So, surprisingly...the E3 sounds pretty great even off the Cayin RU7 1-bit dongle and extends right into tight subs.

Volume point 80 of 100 (high gain) and no dry hardness/glare in the upper mids/lower treble (Hugo 2 looking at you)...really surprised on that very good baseline simple 'out to the cafe' audio chain set-up vs a secondary proper desktop set-up.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #882 of 2,031
So, surprisingly...the E3 sounds pretty great even off the Cayin RU7 1-bit dongle and extends right into tight subs.

Volume point 80 of 100 (high gain) and no dry hardness/glare in the upper mids/lower treble (Hugo 2 looking at you)...really surprised on that very good baseline simple 'out to the cafe' audio chain set-up vs a secondary proper desktop set-up.
I can run it off of iFi Gryphon too and it's fine. Usually about 80 and not in overdrive.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #883 of 2,031
I can run it off of iFi Gryphon too and it's fine. Usually about 80 and not in overdrive.
Shocker and reappraising selling it now that I know the dry hardness/brightness seemed to be Hugo2 to my ears anyway.

1-bit DSD and E3 = strawberries and cream :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #885 of 2,031
I think the same thing will happen with Empyrean II, Abyss MR and the new Modhouse Tungsten all of which have had glowing reviews. It takes about 6 months or so for the little things to start showing up. I must say though, I've had the E3 since the release week and I still love it.
I'm pretty sure you've heard most of the HFM line? If you're up to it, could you compare E3 to Arya Organic &/or HE1000 stealth &/or HEKSE? Mostly interested in bass quality/quantity and macro-dynamics, but would take any and all comparative impressions.

Might be a weird request given those are open backs, but I'm just attempting to triangulate sound characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back