Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #858 of 2,030
Not hearing Stealth or Expanse as yet, is E3 tonally warmer than both of them ?

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #861 of 2,030
I wanted to share with ya'll that I purchased a Dan Clark Stealth E3 last night as I needed a nice headphone for mixing stuff at my desk. Oh boy, it is majestic and very open. Almost as open as my Hifiman Edition XS. Nice isolation as well, just lovely. I might do a full review, but not sure. Either way, it's worthy of any hype that it is getting. Kudos to the team at Dan Clark Audio.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #862 of 2,030
E3 = A pleasant surprise!

A little background about me, I can appreciate good things from Stealth and Expanse, but a bit hard for me to enjoy music through them. I also have hard time to enjoy closed back headphones (all brands) due to some resonances make me fatigue.

My initial impression about E3: Definitely still a family of Stealth in term of sound tuning, but in such more pleasant way. Still like inside well treated studio room, but more musical feel, energy, and emotion in each notes. It still sound neutral, but with a hint of sweetness that make me much easier to listen music as enjoyment. Vocal still take a little forward, but more harmony to treble and bass compared to Stealth. Smooth + fluid on top, natural on midrange, and tight + precise on low section.

Clean black background and pin point imaging are definitely TOTL level, combine with "open" soundstage feel, with tight solid bass notes and sweeter vocal, definitely one of the best closed back headphone I ever tried so far. I don't own DCA headphones (not yet), but if I have to pick up one, regardless the price, E3 will be in my top priority.

p.s: I use glasses when listen to headphone, Dan really does great job to make E3 has no problem at all with seal (unlike Stealth/Expanse that sound become thin and lack of depth if I use glasses with thick temples).

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #863 of 2,030
Is that using an unfamiliar system and about 30min or less of listening with few tracks?

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #865 of 2,030
yes, I have the cans.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #867 of 2,030
Are you apprehensive you won't think of them like you do now in a year? Apprehensive in an experienced way..
I think people needs to spend some time with them before providing their opinion - there are aspects of E3 that will become apparent after few days of listening. I just don't think these short impressions followed by "it's awesome" is helpful in any way.

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #868 of 2,030
I think people needs to spend some time with them before providing their opinion - there are aspects of E3 that will become apparent after few days of listening. I just don't think these short impressions followed by "it's awesome" is helpful in any way.
Yeah so really ideally properly objective reports would be in 6 months to a year. Pretty much

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #870 of 2,030
Yeah so really ideally properly objective reports would be in 6 months to a year. Pretty much
No such thing in this game....general subjective consensus over time more accurate...though with some cans, they can still polarise opinion much later still...usually character tunings like Nightowl/Nighthawk etc...or even Rognir planar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back