Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #916 of 2,032
E3 responds quite well to EQ too. I have the RME ADI-2 and it has excellent results with EQ.

Have you tried that?
It is much more realistic and long-lasting if you take something away from the E3 from 90khz onwards
Bass/Low end becomes more compact, tighter,punchier and cleaner😉

IMG_9429.jpeg

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #917 of 2,032
Not loving the UI on the Mojo 2 however. I have some color blindness and am finding the several colors on the menu hard to discern. Considering an alternative at around the same price point.
This is what has been keeping me from getting the Mojo 2 as well.
Gryphon is fine for traveling around works great but your home desktop I might look for something with a bit more overhead. They can profit a lot for more power. All in one I love RME ADI-2 FS
I don't have the E3 but I do have the Aeon 2 Noire and use it with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS on my desktop. Really happy with it and plenty of headroom for me as well (never really get above -50 db with PEQ). RME also feeds audio from my computer to my speakers (my desktop speaker amp doesn't have USB input). Great all in one unit.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if the paint on the E3 is like the Noire where it seems like it is just painted on? Paint on my Noire has been disappearing/rubbing off over the years and it is starting to bother me since I have only used them for desktop use at home, I always kept them on a stand, and they have never left my home. Besides pads deforming, this has been my only other issue with the Noire. Sure, it doesn't affect sound (love how they sound with some EQ and tuning pads), but things like this do tend to bother me, especially since the cheaper bluetooth ANC headphones that I use for commuting on a daily basis manage to retain their paint and remain relatively scratch free. All the positive impressions on the E3 has definitely gotten me interested and are starting to give me upgradeitis. Only time can tell how the E3 will hold up I guess, unless there is a difference in the manufacturing process (sorry if this has been discussed).

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #919 of 2,032
This is what has been keeping me from getting the Mojo 2 as well.

I don't have the E3 but I do have the Aeon 2 Noire and use it with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS on my desktop. Really happy with it and plenty of headroom for me as well (never really get above -50 db with PEQ). RME also feeds audio from my computer to my speakers (my desktop speaker amp doesn't have USB input). Great all in one unit.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if the paint on the E3 is like the Noire where it seems like it is just painted on? Paint on my Noire has been disappearing/rubbing off over the years and it is starting to bother me since I have only used them for desktop use at home, I always kept them on a stand, and they have never left my home. Besides pads deforming, this has been my only other issue with the Noire. Sure, it doesn't affect sound (love how they sound with some EQ and tuning pads), but things like this do tend to bother me, especially since the cheaper bluetooth ANC headphones that I use for commuting on a daily basis manage to retain their paint and remain relatively scratch free. All the positive impressions on the E3 has definitely gotten me interested and are starting to give me upgradeitis. Only time can tell how the E3 will hold up I guess, unless there is a difference in the manufacturing process (sorry if this has been discussed).
Having the same "paint is coming off" situation with the Aeon 2 Open. I as well have never taken them out of the house and treat them very protectively. Oh well...

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #920 of 2,032
Anyone could share his experience with a DAP other than the M17 ?
It will be very useful for DAP’s user…
Only transportable DAP will do. Most cannot fit into the pocket.

Here is the list of DAP from Headfonics: Cayin N8ii, Ibasso DX320max, FiiO M17, HiBy RS8.

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/2/

the Ibasso 320max probably works better. But I am curious to see if regular DX320 with amp12 module will drive E3 well, and how it compares to chord mojo 2. AK kann series does not work well with E3 even the ultra.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #926 of 2,032
The Mojo do not even a balanced output.
Chord Mojo 2 do not have much power, many DAPs which can fit into the pocket have as much or even more power than the Mojo...
The balanced output and voltage is not super important if the amp can provide consistent high current that most planar headphone demands. Yes, the chord Mojo 2 or hugo 2 does not have balanced outputs and mojo 2 don't have huge wattage compare to other dacs. But they are more than enough drive the E3 due to consistent high current output. Therefore, you won't hear bass distort when cranking up the volume. However, some DAPs even have higher waltage than mojo 2 will sound bad on E3. For example AK kann ultra has 16V max output voltage and the bass will distort over 80db. Most DAPs can't provide consistent huge current due to battery powered, limited current output.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #928 of 2,032
The balanced output and voltage is not super important if the amp can provide consistent high current that most planar headphone demands. Yes, the chord Mojo 2 or hugo 2 does not have balanced outputs and mojo 2 don't have huge wattage compare to other dacs. But they are more than enough drive the E3 due to consistent high current output. Therefore, you won't hear bass distort when cranking up the volume. However, some DAPs even have higher waltage than mojo 2 will sound bad on E3. For example AK kann ultra has 16V max output voltage and the bass will distort over 80db. Most DAPs can't provide consistent huge current due to battery powered, limited current output.
There are balanced-out add-on modules for Mojo2 and Hugo2 that I assume will at least double voltage output..on the mWatts profile I'm not sure if/how its altered. Soundstage seems to widen vs SE-out on balanced-out.

H2 with E3 - too hard/bright for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back