Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #16 of 51

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm I get the ease of use from pacific Valve, but they add cost to what comes standard on the Fun rev A. It also uses an older DAC Which has been said is inferior in some ways to the newer Wolfson [size=x-small]WM8741[/size][size=x-small]. [/size][size=x-small]I suggest you buy direct from Audio-GD. They are a great bunch of guys pumping out GREAT gear at an incredible cost. For the price that PV charges you can get the Fun rev. A shipped with 2 HDAM's. Never heard the Nuforce or D100. That said, I believe that the Fun is the best buy due in part to it's ability to change it's sound signature via HDAMS's. I have the Moon and Earth and they both have there pro's and cons. Either way they make the Dac/Amp sound slightly different.[/size]

Pacific Valve is actually a bit cheaper when one factor's in shipping.
However, Audio-Gd does make constant changes on their products, buying directly from them will insure getting the very latest.

Really? They want $438 for the supposed "upgraded" version of the Fun before shipping. I got the Fun rev. A with the Earth and Moon HDAM's for $448 shipped to my home in New Jersey. So I am not sure how PV is cheaper?

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 51
When I got some shipping quotes from Audio-gd, to NJ as well, they were more expensive then getting them directly from Pacific. Granted this was with the NFB-2 or 3 plus the C 2.1.

I'm in the market to update my Compass but have not yet decided what to do.
According to email directly from audio-gd, for the NFB-2 total price is USD521.5 include Paypal handling charge.
Pacific charges $499.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #18 of 51
Blah, no I'm even more torn, I thought that the Audio-GD Fun was using dual WM8741s, but apparently it only uses a single one unlike the NFB-12 which uses Dual WM8741s, and apparently it is suspected that the HDP uses one of the Sabre 32 variants, though I don't think anyone has been able to determine which one.

BLAH!!!

Why can't I get the DAC and USB circuitry from the HDP in a box with the amp circuitry of the FUN >_<

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 51
Go with yulong.  I think it has a better dac and amp than hdp.

Quote:
Blah, no I'm even more torn, I thought that the Audio-GD Fun was using dual WM8741s, but apparently it only uses a single one unlike the NFB-12 which uses Dual WM8741s, and apparently it is suspected that the HDP uses one of the Sabre 32 variants, though I don't think anyone has been able to determine which one.

BLAH!!!

Why can't I get the DAC and USB circuitry from the HDP in a box with the amp circuitry of the FUN >_<

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 51
If I had it to do again, I'd get the Yulong.  Frankly, I'm pretty sure all the good press of the HDP is simply because it's available on amazon so everyone has one.  Frankly, I'm unconvinced that that small a box could even have a decent power supply, let alone the 4 dacs it supposedly has.  

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 51

Quote:
If I had it to do again, I'd get the Yulong.  Frankly, I'm pretty sure all the good press of the HDP is simply because it's available on amazon so everyone has one.  Frankly, I'm unconvinced that that small a box could even have a decent power supply, let alone the 4 dacs it supposedly has.  

I think the 4 DACs is just a marketting thing, from what I've read it's suspected that it uses one of the ESS901x DAC, which are 8 channels, IE split into 4 stereo channels... but what do I know.

Right now I'm leaning towards just starting with something cheaper like the NFB-12 or a uDAC (honestly at this point anything will sound pretty awesome to my ears, I'm used to a cheap logitech usb headset and my iphone earbuds) and then maybe getting some better cans, and then when I can upgrading to something substantially more awesome like a HA-160D (so purrrrty)

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

The HDP has an external power supply.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 51

Quote:

My Nuforce can power a 250-ohm DT990 rather well, and size doesn't matter.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 51
I can only answer for HDP vs Yulong and the conclusion is:

Yulong D100 is clearly better. 

The HDP was narrow in soundstage, lean in bass and bright in it's presentation.

The Yulong as an amp has clearly wider soundstage with more bass and bass impact and yes, it's neutral.

As for the Dac, it's neutral and resolving. It's smoother but more resolving than the HDP. And yes, the Yulong has more power!

Yulong is an improvement over the HDP in every way.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 51
I think yulong is more on the nuetral side, while the audio gd can be more colored,  that is, that have options to change the sound by changing opa. 
so it depends on your preference. 

Quote:
Arggh, this is making it harder for me.

You said that YuLong is better than NuForce HDP. I wonder how YuLong compares to Audio GD.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #29 of 51
The HDP actually puts out more power at 300 ohms--152mW vs 130mW, but the Yulong puts out a massive 900mW at 32 ohm vs the HDP's 288mW at 30 ohm.  I'm surprised there's such a discrepancy between the two amps depending on the load.  Maybe I'll breakdown and get a Yulong to do some side-by-side comparisons. 

sling5s, if you don't mind me asking, what cans were you using when you compared the two?

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 51
I used the akg k702, grado rs1i and ah-d7000.  The yulong has low gain and high gain.  Even the low gain puts out more volume than the hdp.  That says alot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back