Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12
Feb 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #31 of 51

Quote:
I used the akg k702, grado rs1i and ah-d7000.  The yulong has low gain and high gain.  Even the low gain puts out more volume than the hdp.  That says alot. 

Sounds like an excellent match for low-impedance cans.  I'm surprised the gain is that high on the low gain jack though.  Many D7000 owners complain that the HDP's gain is almost too high to be usable.  With my most efficient cans, I can rarely get the volume pot past 10 o'clock or so before reaching uncomfortable levels.  I know the early HDPs shipped with a lower wattage power supply; perhaps that is why there seems to be some discrepancy in the gain department? 

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 51

Quote:
I used the akg k702, grado rs1i and ah-d7000.  The yulong has low gain and high gain.  Even the low gain puts out more volume than the hdp.  That says alot. 

The Nuforce is meant for low impedance, warm cans.  That's why it's perfect for the D7000s.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #34 of 51

Quote:
I have heard Dagothur's D7000 and NuForce pairing and it is very nice. The amp pairs very well with the Denons. I plugged my Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm into it and found that they demanded much more power, but when adjusted to meet that demand, the amp was great.

I was thinking of getting the NFB-12, but then found out it was for neutral/colder cans.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
Pacific Valve is actually a bit cheaper when one factor's in shipping.
However, Audio-Gd does make constant changes on their products, buying directly from them will insure getting the very latest.

Quote:
Just ordered some Denon AH-D2000s, and now I've been bouncing around with the same decision,

Seems like at around 300-500, the 3 best options are the Audio-GD Fun, The Yulong D100, and the NuForce Icon HDP.

From what I can tell, the Fun and the D100 have much better amp sections, but the DAC in the HDP is better, but where I'm really torn is just ease of purchasing, I can get the HDP from amazon or crutchfield, the D100 and the Fun both have to be purchased from sketchy Chinese websites and take much longer to get.

I wish there was somewhere I could just sit down with all three and get a chance to really play with em to see how they sound with the D2000s.

I would feel better purchasing from someone in the states. What if a problem would come up under warranty? Ship your product all the way back to China and have a long wait to get it back? At least with NuForce you can purchase and return with X amount of days says through Crutchfield, etc. if you don't like it. Correct?

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 51
 nuforce is a CA company.  the owner might be asian, but i dont think its based in asia. 

as for audio gd, if i remember correctly, even if you buy it from PV, for warranty issues it has to go back to China, no? can anyone confirm or deny?

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #38 of 51
If you have warranty issues with something you buy from PV, you'd send it back to PV, not China.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #39 of 51
Hey guys - 

I'm considering either the Audio-GD NFB-12 or Nuforce HDP for use with the Sennheiser HD 600 / 650 / 25, as I want a USB DAC/Amp combo that is small enough to travel with. Does anyone have experience with each of these DAC/Amps / headphones and how they sound? (particularly with the HD 600, which I really enjoy but would like slightly more bass impact from)

Many thanks.

May 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #40 of 51
Have to bump this thread. I'm torn between the NFB-12, NFB-11, and the FUN right now, possibly even the YuLong D100 if it's that much better compared to the Audio-gd stuff. Which one is the way to go considering they will all be stock, no modding or adding different things, etc. Also they will be powering my Orthrodynamic Thunderpants and other headphones (see signature), so I am looking for the one with the best amp + DAC, not just comparing DACs or just amp powers, thanks!

May 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #41 of 51

Quote:
Have to bump this thread. I'm torn between the NFB-12, NFB-11, and the FUN right now, possibly even the YuLong D100 if it's that much better compared to the Audio-gd stuff. Which one is the way to go considering they will all be stock, no modding or adding different things, etc. Also they will be powering my Orthrodynamic Thunderpants and other headphones (see signature), so I am looking for the one with the best amp + DAC, not just comparing DACs or just amp powers, thanks!

I don't think the Nuforce would be best as the amp, that's for sure.  I know the Compass has a really powerful amp for the price, so maybe the NFB-12 (or whichever is more neutral, I forget) would be the way to go.

May 28, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #42 of 51

Quote:
I don't think the Nuforce would be best as the amp, that's for sure.  I know the Compass has a really powerful amp for the price, so maybe the NFB-12 (or whichever is more neutral, I forget) would be the way to go.

Thanks. I guess the NFB-12 is the way to go for me. I'll probably end up getting that.

May 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #43 of 51
How's the amp on the NFB-12? Would it have more power than the E9 or less?

May 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #44 of 51

Quote:
How's the amp on the NFB-12? Would it have more power than the E9 or less?

I would hope it has more power, as it's a good deal more expensive.

May 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #45 of 51

Quote:
I would hope it has more power, as it's a good deal more expensive.

Haha, yeah I hope more expensive = more power. Wonder if someone could do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back