D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @ Capital Audio Fest (CAF) 2015
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #62 of 234
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #64 of 234
PLEASE TAKE IT, MY WALLET IS IN THE CORNER WEEPING

Your wallet still lives, that's more than I can say about mine. I've got a BHSE coming in later this year/early next year...

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #65 of 234
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #66 of 234
Aug 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #68 of 234
I'm planning to be there. My gear is relatively modest but I can bring it anyway... iFi iDSD Nano which will hopefully be feeding a Bottlehead Crack that I should finish building this week. I'll bring my HD650s and probably also the AKG K553 Pros since those are new-ish enough that not everyone has heard them yet.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #69 of 234
  I'm planning to be there. My gear is relatively modest but I can bring it anyway... iFi iDSD Nano which will hopefully be feeding a Bottlehead Crack that I should finish building this week. I'll bring my HD650s and probably also the AKG K553 Pros since those are new-ish enough that not everyone has heard them yet.

Didn't you bring those custom T50RPs to the meet last time?  I would like to check those out again if you still have them.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #71 of 234

Oh, awesome! I've been eyeing the nano quite a bit as an e07k replacement. How are you liking it?

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #72 of 234
Aug 10, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #73 of 234
Aug 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #74 of 234
  Oh, awesome! I've been eyeing the nano quite a bit as an e07k replacement. How are you liking it?

I like it pretty well. Its main shortcoming is that the amp section lacks the power to drive hungry phones to their full potential. It can produce approximately enough volume for HD650s but the bass authority is lacking, hence my desire for a Crack. That bass-shy character is due to the headphone amp section and the cans being driven, not the DAC function, as I have hooked the Nano's analog outs to my loudspeaker rig and it had plenty of slam. I considered the more powerful Micro, but $180 was a much more appealing price point than $500 when my main goal was to see if I could get DSD playback working properly. I'm 1 for 2 in getting the iFi drivers to play nice with foobar. No issues on my desktop machine, and it worked fine for a while on my laptop for about 2 weeks before getting borked in a way that I haven't been able to figure out. I will try to get the DSD drivers running on a different laptop in time for the meet, or maybe running JRiver instead of foobar. I have successfully fed it DSD files played with the HibyMusic android app on my Galaxy S4 using an OTG cable, so that's pretty cool. Sound is very good, neutral across the frequency range, clear and very detailed but still quite musical. It should sound great once I'm running it into a proper amp (Crack).

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #75 of 234
  Thanks Barry.  Once I confirm the timing of the meet with Gary, I'll post that info so that we can get more organized around this.

Edit:  Barry, did you get your Yggdrasil, I know you have the Rag already.

Sounds good. I'm still on the fence about the Yggy.I love the transparency and dynamics of the Rag, but would still love to downsize my rig. If the Liquid Carbon comes close to the Rag, the Rag will probably go. If the Rag goes, then I'd like a small form factor DAC. This being head-fi, the more likely scenario is me getting the Yggy and a transportable DAC, and keeping both the Rag and the LC.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back