Custom IEM's Under $500
Jul 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 35
Livewires Trips and Sleek Audio CT6 should also be considered.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 35
I doubt it esp considering how long it takes for you to actually get the livewire trips.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #19 of 35
Thanks for all of the good information.  I've compiled JH Audio's and UE's recommendations for taking impressions and will hopefully be making an appointment to a local audiologist next week.  My decision is pretty much made, however I wait until I place my order to spill the beans.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #20 of 35
thaddy, I also fly quite a bit, and feel that if you put nice plugs on the ER4P you get a better seal than with a custom IEM. for pure isolation, I doubt that customs will beat soft universal plugs. the SQ is of course another matter, and yes, I am convinced that customs have the potential to sound a whole lot better still than most or all universal IEMs. (my experience with a custom IEM is limited but I have logged about 45 hours on planes with a custom IEM). in the end, it may come down to comfort: a custom may feel better for longer stretches, a universal may seal better but won't perhaps feel as good after more than a couple hours.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 35
Glad we could help, I have a feeling its the JH5 though.  But remember, more drivers does not mean better sound.  They're all good choices.  BTW, I hope the fit is good :p

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 35
perhaps we should re-phrase this... UE doesnt suck, Logitech sucks.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
thaddy, I also fly quite a bit, and feel that if you put nice plugs on the ER4P you get a better seal than with a custom IEM. for pure isolation, I doubt that customs will beat soft universal plugs. the SQ is of course another matter, and yes, I am convinced that customs have the potential to sound a whole lot better still than most or all universal IEMs. (my experience with a custom IEM is limited but I have logged about 45 hours on planes with a custom IEM). in the end, it may come down to comfort: a custom may feel better for longer stretches, a universal may seal better but won't perhaps feel as good after more than a couple hours.

I've owned the Ety's and I just couldn't get used to the wire that doesn't loop around the back of your ear.  I tried orienting them upsidedown however they just weren't comfortable.  Excellent isolation, but I'd happily give up 3-9db of isolation for a custom fit. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 35

Quote:

Which custom?  Hollow acrylic shell, solid acrylic or silicone? 

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:
I've owned the Ety's and I just couldn't get used to the wire that doesn't loop around the back of your ear.  I tried orienting them upsidedown however they just weren't comfortable.  Excellent isolation, but I'd happily give up 3-9db of isolation for a custom fit. 

okay then - agreed. (I just meant that noise leaking in can negate the superior sound quality in some situations; as long as they remain the exception, the custom will fit better and sound better). 

Quote:
Which custom?  Hollow acrylic shell, solid acrylic or silicone? 

a UE model. I don't get the use of silicone for IEMs - isn't wear and tear going to limit their useful life?

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:
...I don't get the use of silicone for IEMs - isn't wear and tear going to limit their useful life?

Silicone will wear out faster than an acrylic mold, but it will still last longer than the time between refits (2-4 years I think). The disadvantages to silicone are that it's harder to fit. You need some sort of lubricant or water to slide them in, though even saliva will do in a pinch.

The advantage is that they are considerably more durable and robust than their acrylic counterparts, plus offer much better isolation - likely rivaling or even exceeding the etys. They also tend to have a slightly warmer sound I believe, though whether or not it's an advantage depends upon personal preference.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 35
My friend is actually able to use his ACS molds w/o lubricant at all.  The other silicone advantage is preservation of the drivers.  They absorb shock far better and will transmit less energy to the driver.  

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 35
As much as I love the LiveWires, I don't think I can recommend them in good faith any longer. The service has declined even from the low level that it once was. I should amend my review.

I would consider the JH5 and the UE4, as well as looking in to getting a remold done. I don't know if you still own any of the IEMs that you mentioned, but if so, spending around $100 to have Fisher remold it might be a better option.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 35
How could their service get any worse? They already take very long to get the customs so what else could they do that's any worse other than just taking your money and doing nothing.

I would have liked to get it thru Livewires but remolding them sounded like the safer option for me due to the very long wait.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
How could their service get any worse? They already take very long to get the customs so what else could they do that's any worse other than just taking your money and doing nothing.

Any worse? How about this...

I bought a pair of Livewire Duals last year and needed to replace the cable in April. I ordered the heavy duty replacement cable online and waited. The cable never came.

In June, I noticed (yeah, I know) that the cable never arrived and sent an email to support. Got nothing back.

A few days later I called and spoke to someone who found my order. She had no explanation, but shipped the cable right out.

Five days later, I received the cable in a simple letter envelope. One of the connectors was completely smashed and unusable. The envelope showed no signs of damage so I have to assume that the cable shipped that way. Even worse, the so called "heavy duty" cable was incredibly cheap looking and certainly inferior to the original cable. 

I sent an email to Livewires telling them that the replacement cable they sent showed up broken and that I'd prefer a 'normal' cable instead ...and nothing. Seriously.

After two days, I sent another email along of lines of, "Bueller? Bueller? Anyone out there?" I called and left messages. Nothing.

A few days later, another replacement cable showed up. The same 'heavy duty' cable after I'd left messages and several emails that I wanted the original cable.

I'm so over Livewires...

My JH5's should be here this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back