Custom IEM's Under $500
Jul 14, 2010 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm required to fly a lot for work and it seems that the custom molded IEM options have quadrupled in the past few years.  I'm having a hard time getting my bearings straight and would be interested in hearing some recommendations for options under $500.

I've owned just about every non-custom IEM from Shure, Etymotic, and Westone and while they all sound excellent, I've never found a single pair that were comfortable enough for long flights and offer a good seal.  So, I'm giving up and moving on to some custom molded IEM's but can't afford to spend $OPRAH.

A little bit about my listening habits and equipment...I'll be using my iPod Classic and do not plan on using an amp.  I listen to mainly live and recorded rock music and my preferred sound signature is accurate with a touch of warmth.  Think: a high quality tube amp
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 35
Other people have had good experiences with the Chinese custom IEMs, haven't tried for myself yet though. Though for the Americans for course sending impressions internationally sounds like a real hassle. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
Other people have had good experiences with the Chinese custom IEMs, haven't tried for myself yet though. Though for the Americans for course sending impressions internationally sounds like a real hassle. 

Yeah, that would be a major hassle.  The UE 4 Pro and JH 5 Pro seem to be the two front runners in the under $500 category, and are both located in the US.  I think now I'm just going to have to decide between one of the two.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 35
I was being serious when I said livewires were good.  You should at least consider them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452022/livewires-trips-review-with-impressions-of-many-other-customs

If you go towards the end, he compares them to other customs including the ue4.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 35
Highely recommended UM Mage...........

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
I was being serious when I said livewires were good.  You should at least consider them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452022/livewires-trips-review-with-impressions-of-many-other-customs

If you go towards the end, he compares them to other customs including the ue4.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that before.  They seem to have a very similar sound signature as the UE 4 Pro's, which I'll admit is my preference and is the front runner at the moment. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 35
[size=10pt]I can't vouch for the JH5 sq, but the customer service at JH Audio is as good in my opinion as the products. I have never had a problem communicating with them and I think as far as customs goes, it’s important to have a company you can talk to about issues easily and openly. Re-fit’s seem to be common, if not the norm in the custom world, and dealing with a company that really values and takes care of all it’s customers is huge. Good luck. [/size]

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
[size=10pt]I can't vouch for the JH5 sq, but the customer service at JH Audio is as good in my opinion as the products. I have never had a problem communicating with them and I think as far as customs goes, it’s important to have a company you can talk to about issues easily and openly. Re-fit’s seem to be common, if not the norm in the custom world, and dealing with a company that really values and takes care of all it’s customers is huge. Good luck. [/size]

Customer service is definitely important to me, but in the JH 5 Pro thread it seems that every single customer had to send their IEM's back for a re-fit at least once.  Do all custom IEM's have this issue or are my expectations of UE/JH Audio/LiveWires getting it right the first time just a bit too optimistic?

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Maybe you could open up a poll for those who have customs. Something simple, like "If you have customs, did you need a re-fit ? yes or no?" to get a general consensus on the actual re-fit send backs. Maybe there is already one out there? It is very open, but it may give you a general idea how common they are as you research your options. I know I thought I had  a perfect fit intially, and ended up sending them back 3 times to get an absolutly no questions asked, spot on perfect fit.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 35
I would also like to add JH5 wasn't intended to be sold at $400.  I think Jerry was gonna sell them at around $500 or $600 (I forgot, but it was definately more than $400) but then UE released their UE4 at $400.  I've heard this from head-fiers in the past, but I cant give a specific link on it.  So the thing is, with the JH5, you could possibly get more than what you pay for.

Also, on UE4's, they seem to me to be the...meh...You have better customer service at JH then at UE and the livewire trips are rated fairly positive.

I'll admit the UE4 are probably overlooked here, and I feel that UE, as a whole, is overlooked in these forums.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 35
UE are overlooked because they allowed themselves to be overlooked. Before the Logitech takeover their CS was praised for being one of the best. Now you will hear no such thing about their CS being the best.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 35
UE is definitely the unloved stepchild around here since Jerry Harvey left and Logitech took over.  JH Audio, Westone, Unique Melody, Earsonics, Livewires, FitEar, Fischer InEarz, ACS, so many choices.  Shame really since they make the customs and store the impressions about 2 miles away from my house.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 35
Thaddy,

I think the JH-5's sound amazing. Warm and friendly and accurate. 

As far as fit goes, I just sent my impressions into JH Audio yesterday and will know in a week how they fit.

I really think that there's two factors involved: The impressions have to be done right. Take JH Audio's spec sheet with you to the audiologist and if they balk at anything on there, walk out. If the impressions don't look smooth and perfect when you take them out, or if they're not long enough to see two bends in the canal, do them again. Also, someone like Jerry has been doing this for YEARS and knows what fit is all about. He won't tell you to sand them down if they don't fit right. But you first have to start with perfect impressions. I really think that's the problem with some of the negative posts.

My 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back