Current King of Gaming Headphones
Mar 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out what the current king of console gaming headphones is. I have a pair of HE-6's, and LCD-2's that I use with a Victor SU-HD1 ran out to a Schiit Lyr. It is not perfect, because I am double amping the signal and do get some distortion. I am looking to find someone who can mod my SU-DH1's headphone out to a line about, but anyway. I eventually plan on buying a Smyth Realiser A8, which without question should be the king of all gaming rigs.

That is not what this thread is about. My friend wants to upgrade his gaming setup. He currently has an EarForce X41 system. He trusts my opinions, and plans to also buy a pair of LCD-2's and a headphone amp. He does all of his listening with IEM's, so this setup would be 90% games, 10% movies. While he is willing to spend $1500+ I feel like it may be a waste, and not even the best solution for the limited scope of his needs.

I have been looking around and most of the gaming threads seem to be old, so I wanted to make sire there are no never cans that take the top spot for gaming. I have read a lot of very positive things about the AT AD900's, and HD600's, DT770/80. Since double amping my signal doesn't seem to be a perfect solution I figure an easy to drive can running of a mixamp would be best. I am thinking the AD900's. However since sound stage is supposed to be so important for gaming, and price isn't a super issue, has anyone tried gaming with the HD800's. I know it would take a dedicated amp. I am just trying to find the absolute best. Well close to the best. I mentioned the Realiser, and he said that was crazy.

Any help is appreciated.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 21
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/multimedia/headzone-game.html

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 21
ATH-AD2000
regular_smile%20.gif

At least that's the best I've heard so far for gaming. It doesn't have the huge soundstage of the AD700, but a ton more detail and more forward mids.

This is even over the HD-598, HD-650, AD700, DT-880, K601 and K702. All amped of course.

I know this isn't the best game for headphones, buy playing through Uncharted 2 on crushing with the ATH-AD2000 was quite the experience. Oh and I only died about 2 dozen times!

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Interesting! i've never used Earbuds for gaming, but i'm curious. 

Used them every day for COD modern warfare 2 online for months, they outperformed the AD700 and every other "good gaming" full size set I've ever used.  Their soundstage, while it is the largest in the earbud world, is not as spacious as most full size.  However, its ability to accurately place sounds is unrivaled. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks a lot for the info. I would love more from whoever. More opinions can only help. The only thing is when you say what your favorite is can you give it in comparison to what else you have listed too. tdockweiler, and swbf2cheater's opinions are extra useful for that reason. It give me a basis for comparison, and also can give me a judge on what type of sound you like. opinions are good and details are better. I hope that doesn't come across mean. I obviously can not audition every one of these cans, so I description is what I have to go on.

If I end up not being able to save enough for the Realiser in the next few months I may also end up buying a pair of HP dedicated for gaming. I am playing Uncharted through myself for I think the fourth time, I am not sure, and using my HE-6's with the Dolby Headphones. It does an ok job of SS, but it could be better. I can tell if someone is shooting from behind, or the side, but I can not tell exactly were. I know which direction to turn, but not how far. On the other hand detail and separation are great. On a side note I have platinumed Uncharted 1 and 2 and can not wait for the new one. I found the second game to be a breeze on crushing compared to the first. The only part that game me trouble was the final fight. The first game on crushing I honestly found to be crushing. I quit for months because I could not get past chapter 5.

Enough of that, I am derailing my own thread, back to gaming headphones, not how awesome the games we play are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back