crossfeed
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
In my attempt to choose a portable amp, I am trying to find differences in features. The 2move has crossfeed, which is touted as highly improving the soundstage (you can tell where the instruments are as if you were using speakers instead of headphones.) Does the Predator use this, or does hot audio? Also, do you believe the technology is useful, or is it a gimmick?

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Meier Audio and Headroom have cross feed and everybody else doesn't. Ray likes music the old fashion way"I do not like tone control, bass boost, cross-feed on any of my amps, call me what ever you want, it won’t change my mind. I lived in the era when stereo was just getting recognized by many. To the sound engineers of the past, it was just a thrill to be able to pan a singer in one channel & the drums in the other. It was fun listening to it when I was young. We used to wow, listening to those two speakers, one will do this & the other will do that." You will find this quote on Ray's website. You are SOL with the Predator having cross feed. There is nothing wrong with cross feed. some use it some don't.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 16
what is the general consensus? Is it a good feature?

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Some will not have an amp without it, some won't have an amp with it. Find an amp that sounds great first with your gear, then look at the features. You can't go wrong either way.

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Practical Devices, one of our sponsors, makes all their amp with crossfeed. Although not the most recognizable portable amp maker in the business, I found their amp with the AD8620 upgrade a very good bargain. Even when I audition my XM3 (= XM4 without the bass boost) against Pico, I don't find it to be too much behind, which is a surprise to my part for an amp only costing less than 1/3 of Pico (DAC version). BTW, I don't use the crossfeed at all, just not my thing.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 16
I know that I always have crossfeed turned on on my Headfive. I can live without it, but I prefer it just a little bit. Moves things more in front of you than to either side.

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Some Xin amps have crossfeed, too. The iBasso T2 has a crossfeed-like switch as well, now that I think about it. I enjoy it, though I can live without it for sure.

Just to be shameless, I'm selling a Xin Supermini (very hard to find these days) which has crossfeed. Link in my signature.

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the general consensus? Is it a good feature?

That's hard to say, crossfeed is a matter of taste. You can't tell whether you'll like it before you use it and you need to spend some time listening to it before you know.

A couple years back, Dr. Meier gave away boards for the Cross-I. A bunch of us got them and then did a group buy for cases, etc. I built one and gave it good listen. Well, I still do. I wasn't crazy about crossfeed at first, but gave it a chance and it grew on me. I love the Cross I and use it all the time.

Then again, some people never do like it. You'll have to give it a listen some time.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's hard to say, crossfeed is a matter of taste. You can't tell whether you'll like it before you use it and you need to spend some time listening to it before you know.

A couple years back, Dr. Meier gave away boards for the Cross-I. A bunch of us got them and then did a group buy for cases, etc. I built one and gave it good listen. Well, I still do. I wasn't crazy about crossfeed at first, but gave it a chance and it grew on me. I love the Cross I and use it all the time.

Then again, some people never do like it. You'll have to give it a listen some time.

Uncle Erik - is the Cross-I an outboard crossfeed?

OP - I have a Headroom Airhead I don't use much anymore. Sometimes I miss the crossfeed. I only really want it when I come across a vintage mix with very hard panning of the instruments, though.

Tim

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 16
Yes, the cross-I is an outboard crossfeed,
It has 3 rotary switches for variable resistances in the circuit that affect the input/output impedances, and the amount of crossfeed applied. (if I understand the description correctly)
You can find the schematics on meier's site.
I'm really interested in this too, and I'm going to order parts for a fixed-value meier crossfeed on my next mouser order.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 16
All right. Considering I can't try out any of the amps, I'm back to the drawing board. I was hoping this feature would help me choose between the Predator, the 2move, and hot audio, but I guess not. While the thread is still alive, does anybody want to just pipe in just tell me what to buy?

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 16
You can add outboard xfeed later. I cooked up a non-adjustable Meier 'bass enhanced' xfeed circuit for my Starving Student amp. Personally, I can't listen to headphones without some kind of headphone processing, whether DSP or hardware xfeed.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 16
I am not familiar with the hot audio, but between the 2Move and the predator, it is my understanding that there are not much difference in SQ (although Skylab's report says that the 2Move is superior to the predator). The crossfeed on the 2Move is excellent because it does not seem to degrade the original SQ in any great length (unlike previous attempts at crossfeeds) and really works in relieving you from listening fatigue. I use it all the time. For the best bang for the buck in portable amps, I personally do not think any portable amp can beat the 2Move in any possible way. It is simply such a bargain consider its SQ.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the replies. Tell me about the secondary external xfeed- is it a product you can buy from meier audio? I saw a diy guide on his site, but I don't think I want to get into that.
so far, it is 2move 1, predator 0 thanks to worldman. any other thoughts?

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 16
A bit of a thread resurrection, wondering what peoples thoughts were on cross feed?

After watching Head-Fi episode 9 I decided to have another play with cross feed on my XM6 but have come to the decision to (probably) not use it as it seems to add more bass to everything, even on the most stereo setting - although I'm not sure why? - and whilst enjoying some bass, as well as the idea of cross feed for some artists like RATM, the extra bass just seems to drown out the more subtle instrumentals on tracks.

So, do people use it, and if so, why do they prefer it? (Also is this bass issue standard or just the XM6?)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back