crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,699 of 3,338
I have one incoming so I'll just confirm that it isn't borked before I drop the rank and review.

Ouch that doesnt sound good at all, I think sony need to pay you more $$$ /s

Funny how it tuned out to be a less bad version of a CE5

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,700 of 3,338
Was supposed to be done with this ages ago. Oh well, at least I finally got around to it.

great in-depth analysis of an iem. like i have said before, had they made it universal, they would have avoided the problematic tuning, it’s like designing a speaker with different enclosure volumes and retuning each one in hopes that behave consistently... bizzare...

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,701 of 3,338
Just wanted to leave a message and say thanks for all this work. It's super valuable for someone who puts a lot of value in FR response curves (HP acoustic engineer).

Keep it up, you're doing the community a huge favour!

PS: I'm the guy that commented in subreddit about the N8 distortion issue

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #1,704 of 3,338
Hi head-fiers,

it's an incredible amount of information that has been collected here, I am really impressed. Maybe that information overflow is the main reason for me seeking a recommendation.
Having a 40 year background in enjoying HiFi by not only consuming, but constructing my equipment by having built a lot of speakers and amplifiers. I would say I have heard some things, but I am helplessly overload with the variety of in ears one can buy.

Currently I have two main rigs:
1) Fiio X5 II with some UE super.fi 5 pro
2) Focusrite DAC7Amp on my office PC connected to a Beyerdynamic DT770-250

In fact listening to a crossover of popular music with a slight focus on quality produced Jazz. For me this works best with rig 2). I can listen with this for the whole day without getting bored or tired. Well knowing that the DT770-250 has a fairly wide and deep stage, but not an exactly linear frequency response. Bass is dry, heavy and extremely deep. Sure it has too much pronunciation, but I really like it. If it can be dry and fat at the same time, this is it. From the frequency response diagram, the highs may have a dB more, but who cares, they are not offensive at all.

Okay, so much about my personal preference, I started thinking about my UEs. It is only Fischer Amps that can supply cables with this very special plug and earpieces become hard to find. I don't recall it exactly, but I have them for about 10 years now and get curious what could be the next experience. Rig 1) can't compare to rig 2), of course they are different in stage and details, but tonality is kind of the same direction.

Looking at the ranking, UE SF5P are Meh. Okay, may be, but what would be an upgrade that goes in the direction of my reference rig 2)? Limit is at 400€.

Anyone able to comment? Maybe in the end I throw away the beloved DT770s? :wink:

/Uwe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back