crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,726 of 3,338
Apparently, what happens in the sound science subforum doesn’t stay in the sound science subforum. Lol. More than anything, it was posted in sound science as an invitation for others to reproduce my findings. I think the result sounds lovely, but that could just be the peculiar way I hear things, crowd-pleasing Harman IE target notwithstanding. Anyway, why bring this up in Crinacle’s excellent thread? It seems off topic. If anything, it belongs in a thread dedicated to budget IEMs, or IEM mods. Or maybe it should stay in sound science until the result can be verified.
Ah, ok. But, please keep postin your stuff as I find them interesting. It's not the typical blar blar..

After listening to MH755 a bit, I'm not all that impressed with it. It lacks good imaging and don't find it to sound all that highly technical, but good value at the price, that is all. Don't expect a miracle. Just sayin..

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,727 of 3,338
Ah, ok. But, please keep postin your stuff as I find them interesting. It's not the typical blar blar..

After listening to MH755 a bit, I'm not all that impressed with it. It lacks good imaging and don't find it to sound all that highly technical, but good value at the price, that is all. Don't expect a miracle. Just sayin..
The MH755 was quite impressive for an $8 IEM, but I didn't like it all that much. I found it surprisingly detailed with clean bass for just how much bass there is, but the thinness in the mids was a bit too much and I went back to my Final E1000. I can see why a lot of other people might like it, though, if they aren't as bothered by the mids thinness (and also love the bass, which I do not).

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,728 of 3,338
The MH755 was quite impressive for an $8 IEM, but I didn't like it all that much. I found it surprisingly detailed with clean bass for just how much bass there is, but the thinness in the mids was a bit too much and I went back to my Final E1000. I can see why a lot of other people might like it, though, if they aren't as bothered by the mids thinness (and also love the bass, which I do not).
I have a bit of a realization that Harman IE target has a bit more of a rise than I prefer. I wish there was a more precise way to get people's preferences of the target curve.

Here's two I liked and based on Crin's graphs, this is the kind of target that jives with me.

QeaZLcD.jpg 04mK6DR.jpg

755 does have greater quantity of bass than neutral for sure, pretty significant, but not the kind that warms up the sig, it's well separated from the upper frequencies. It also does have a bit more upper-mids to treble emphasis, which creates perception of V-shaped. I would say emphasis rather than true resolve for the upper frequency characteristics.

MH755 on the other hand has a bit of a V-shape with more imphasis in the upper-mids. Also, I prefer BA bass. I just don't find dynamic driver bass outputs bass resolution. They sound a bit soft, smoothed out, dispersed. BA bass sound tight and responsive.

mh87yzyk2o021.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,729 of 3,338
What about Sony XBA N1AP and Sony XBA N3AP? How would you rank them?
If you are looking for strong, punchy bass, go for NA1P. If you are more too listening to acapella, instrumental, etc, go for N3AP. The latter is slighty more expensive, maybe meant for more established & refined taste...

Just to share.. I finally bought XBA-N1AP yesterday (~USD200) after exactly 1 month comptemplating over it. I'd been searching for the best IER that matches my NW-ZX300 Walkman's capabilities. I already have MDR-1AM2 headphones - excellent sound but that's too bulky to bring around everywhere. I tried all other models in price range e.g. XBA-300AP, XBA-N3AP, etc & even more expensive XBA-Z5 and IER-M7 but none produced the punchy low-bass coupled with clear mids & highs that I really wanted. Yesterday after 2 full hours of testing & retesting @ Sony Store using the same track (Air Supply's "Every Woman in the World") on DSD 2.8 MHz for consistency (comparing against 1AM2 as reference) in search for that elusive sweet spot in all 3 tones & soundstage, I finally decided to make that purchase.

I am so happy & satisfied with XBA-N1AP, currently listening to it while audio burning in those balanced aramture drivers to perfection...

Attachments

• XBA-N1AP.jpg
    XBA-N1AP.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,730 of 3,338
@rutter Let's bring it here where's it's more on-topic.

If you think I'm inconsistent because what I'm saying on my website is different from what I said in a video, you're wrong. The points are still exactly the same except there is a different focus on the content of the review. I'm not a text-to-speech robot, I'm not going to say word-for-word what I've already written on my website in front of a camera.

Again, tell me where I've been inconsistent and I'll address it directly. If you're still hung up about how I called the Z1R "not worth it" in my video, I also never talked about "worth" in my written impressions.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,734 of 3,338
Really Oxygen is not a dark IEM. It has beatiful well controlled bass, but also delicious mid and gentle high. A very pleasant signature. Vocal are good, better female than masculine. Soundstage is sufficient with good distinction of each instrument. For sure is not comparable to Andromeda, but I like intimate IEM as my preferred music is non-orchestral jazz, electronic and alternative pop or rock.
I am looking for an iem with good soundstage and male vocals in particular. What is wrong with the oxygens male vocals? Or do you have any recommendations for me in the sub 200 price range?

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #1,735 of 3,338
Your Youtube video was great. Very entertaining and real.

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,736 of 3,338
I am looking for an iem with good soundstage and male vocals in particular. What is wrong with the oxygens male vocals? Or do you have any recommendations for me in the sub 200 price range?
@Nabillion_786 the problem with male vocals of Oxygen are just relative. I mean if I compare male vocal of Oxygen with that of U12t or U8 it seems a little bit dry and thiner. Nevertheless, you have to consider that U12t costs 8 times oxygen and U8 4 time. So I think Oxygen is quite better than the numerous 100-200 bucks IEMs like TFZ, Fijo, TE, Mee, Dunu etc

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,737 of 3,338
@Nabillion_786 the problem with male vocals of Oxygen are just relative. I mean if I compare male vocal of Oxygen with that of U12t or U8 it seems a little bit dry and thiner. Nevertheless, you have to consider that U12t costs 8 times oxygen and U8 4 time. So I think Oxygen is quite better than the numerous 100-200 bucks IEMs like TFZ, Fijo, TE, Mee, Dunu etc
Thanks for that! And the only reason I asked is because another user of the oxygen said that the male vocals are a bit back in the mix unless you turn up the volume. I am just trying to gather as much impressions as possible as this will be the most expensive iem for me if I pull the trigger. I have struggled for an iem that does male vocals well which in my books would mean a rich sound that is clear and not thin or recessed. Would you advise this over the tsmr 3 pro as I heard that has great vocals aswell? Or are you aware of any other iems in this price range that could be better?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,738 of 3,338
Thanks for that! And the only reason I asked is because another user of the oxygen said that the male vocals are a bit back in the mix unless you turn up the volume. I am just trying to gather as much impressions as possible as this will be the most expensive iem for me if I pull the trigger. I have struggled for an iem that does male vocals well which in my books would mean a rich sound that is clear and not thin or recessed. Would you advise this over the tsmr 3 pro as I heard that has great vocals aswell? Or are you aware of any other iems in this price range that could be better?
Sorry but I don't know TSMR 3 pro. The only basic IEM I have are Westone 3 or 4 driver IEM, that are not the best for male vocal.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,740 of 3,338
I would like to know how far does the Z1R exceed the IER-M9? Sadly, I could not afford the Z1R.

I am curious why the Z1R is defined as Mild V-shape but the M9 is defined as neutral. From what I read, the Z1R mids are a little bit more forward than the M9.

By the way, why the Solaris is listed in Tier A on your website? I thought at first it was in A+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back