crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Apr 2, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #1,756 of 3,338
I don't believe you could tell apart two cables if both have equal impedance and are volume matched, but let's leave it at that. This thread isn't the correct forum for that debate.
that's what i was thinking after measuring FR and distortion (no difference).
but i tried a round up AB of 10 cables from my list, with similar or identical impedance (so volume matched), using decent resolving iem (FLC8s) and low (<0.5 ohms) output impedance source. not big differences but clearly noticeable in some cases, including better sound with higher impedance cables compared to lower quality but better conductivity (due to thickness) ones. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...uck-cable-thread.891911/page-63#post-14846443 (for example, i'm sure i'd pass a blind test between cables 053 and 130-132, similar impedance, due to highs details differences).

my rule is: "completely sceptical, but open minded". our brain seems to be very tricky, like loudness perception at different volumes (measurements don't show that loudness difference, but our brain alters the perception).

i didn't pretend to start a discussion about this here. only commented the article that the thread op has posted here today (cables!). so i think my comment was appropriated and on topic.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,758 of 3,338
I don't believe you could tell apart two cables if both have equal impedance and are volume matched, but let's leave it at that. This thread isn't the correct forum for that debate.

You better believe we can tell the difference (depends on the cable/source/IEM ofc).And that's coming from a used-to-be skeptic. Even the mic's on my phone could pick the difference. I'm gonna post something real juicy about the topic in the cable thread soon, and everybody is invited to participate (I'm gonna have to wait for my new expensive cable to arrive, but... yeah). Also, nice article, Crin. :) Can't wait for the "full" one.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,759 of 3,338
You better believe we can tell the difference (depends on the cable/source/IEM ofc).And that's coming from a used-to-be skeptic. Even the mic's on my phone could pick the difference. I'm gonna post something real juicy about the topic in the cable thread soon, and everybody is invited to participate (I'm gonna have to wait for my new expensive cable to arrive, but... yeah). Also, nice article, Crin. :) Can't wait for the "full" one.

Today I have returned from CJ Singapore with a new buy from one of our competitors (yep, I listen to everything) and tested a multitude of different ear tips on this IEM with my coupler. To my amazement, the differences in FR were many times very little. But even with two tips that measured almost like 99% the same, they still sound VERY different.

It seems that these ear simulators are not organic after all. And things happen that either cannot yet be measured or simulated, and we don't understand everything about sound yet. FR doesn't give me info about a varying level of occlusion effect, possible real insertion depth and isolation, for example.

Also, I tend to be a person who hears like pretty significant differences between cables. Like with one cable I just cant stand the pairing, and with the other, I feel a synergy is achieved. I'm completely crazy about this, playing with cables for hours until I find the right pairing, and later have like two favourite cables for chosen IEM.

Probably these are the reasons why my more scientific partner, Emil, who is a trained sound engineer, actually hates FR measurements saying that they don't give us true and complete information. He says "two earphones with the same FR measurement may sound very different". Hard to disagree, won't you say?

And that translates to cables also.

P.S. However saying that I'm not debating Crinacle, on the contrary, I kinda accept that we all have different focus and dispositions to different things.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,760 of 3,338
Today I have returned from CJ Singapore with a new buy from one of our competitors (yep, I listen to everything) and tested a multitude of different ear tips on this IEM with my coupler. To my amazement, the differences in FR were many times very little. But even with two tips that measured almost like 99% the same, they still sound VERY different.

It seems that these ear simulators are not organic after all. And things happen that either cannot yet be measured or simulated, and we don't understand everything about sound yet. FR doesn't give me info about a varying level of occlusion effect, possible real insertion depth and isolation, for example.

Also, I tend to be a person who hears like pretty significant differences between cables. Like with one cable I just cant stand the pairing, and with the other, I feel a synergy is achieved. I'm completely crazy about this, playing with cables for hours until I find the right pairing, and later have like two favourite cables for chosen IEM.

Probably these are the reasons why my more scientific partner, Emil, who is a trained sound engineer, actually hates FR measurements saying that they don't give us true and complete information. He says "two earphones with the same FR measurement may sound very different". Hard to disagree, won't you say?

P.S. However saying that I'm not debating Crinacle, on the contrary, I kinda accept that we all have different focus and dispositions to different things.

I don't think there's anything wrong with ear-simulators per-se, but I believe that the "problem comes" from the way we measure things - aka using pink noise for example. I've talked about this previously, but basically, all that matters is music, and that specific moment in time, when certain frequencies are engaged, relative to each-other, and the cable frequency "throughput" at that specific moment in time (where the difference comes, based on the conductive properties of the surface of the wire, core diameter and so on), not the "average" of all things adding up.

BUT, to my surprise, there was a guy that measured different cables recently with the DM6, and although he concluded that cables sounded "the same" (influenced from what he "thought" he sees on the graphs I would assume, even if he told me he doesn't hear a difference with music as well), if you take a closer look at his own graphs, there is a difference (not attributed to depth insertion/seal), not just from cable impedance (loudness). All of this will be in my post I'm working on, so I will not go further here, because I'm not sure if Crin is OK with that.

P.S We really need a "how to read RAW graphs" guide. I might just make one when I have the time at this point.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,761 of 3,338
I’m not against discussing controversial topics here. I know such things belong in the Sound Science section, but over there it feels more like preaching to the choir than an actual back-and-forth.

Just as a clarification, my views on cables are a little less straightforward than my views on burn-in in that, whether due to actual differences or mental placebo, I personally do hear differences in cables. However, in my case it is very 50/50 on whether the differences are considered upgrades and in almost every instance I feel like the prices boutique cable makers are charging are nowhere close to being justified by the subjective performance increase (if any).

It’s a bit more of a nuanced topic and I’ve consulted a few people to make the upcoming article a bit more in-depth than usual, taking in opinions from diehard objectivists, sound engineers as well as cable DIYers I know. Again, I’m not setting out to change minds but rather to be more transparent on my beliefs and views as well as explaining why I hold such thoughts.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,762 of 3,338

FR is one variable and even then we have a few different ways to measure one. why would anybody assume that one out of several variables could describe something other than FR completely? indeed a FR graph doesn't show occlusion or many other things, because that's not what it's measuring. no surprise there. and it's the very same thing for cables. we tend to rely on gauge, length, and material, or sometimes on impedance because they tend to be enough to get a practical estimate of their electrical behavior. but even rather simplified ways to model that behavior will consistently involve resistance, inductance and capacitance. I don't find surprising that by looking at only one variable, we sometimes miss a change.

IMO the "we don't understand everything about sound yet" is irrational. pressure goes up, then pressure goes down, then it goes up again. seems pretty straightforward to me. I would rather go with "we don't understand everything about the brain", or "we have one hell of a hard time figuring out how to translate objective variables into subjective impressions". makes more sense to me.

I’m not against discussing controversial topics here. I know such things belong in the Sound Science section, but over there it feels more like preaching to the choir than an actual back-and-forth.

Just as a clarification, my views on cables are a little less straightforward than my views on burn-in in that, whether due to actual differences or mental placebo, I personally do hear differences in cables. However, in my case it is very 50/50 on whether the differences are considered upgrades and in almost every instance I feel like the prices boutique cable makers are charging are nowhere close to being justified by the subjective performance increase (if any).

It’s a bit more of a nuanced topic and I’ve consulted a few people to make the upcoming article a bit more in-depth than usual, taking in opinions from diehard objectivists, sound engineers as well as cable DIYers I know. Again, I’m not setting out to change minds but rather to be more transparent on my beliefs and views as well as explaining why I hold such thoughts.
personally I have experienced changes in IEM from cables, felt and measured. they're probably the most likely cables to impact the sound audibly. if only because we usually prioritize flexibility, weight, how they conduct vibrations, and just comfort in general instead of electrical specs. nobody wants to use even headphone cables with their tiny IEMs. also there is almost no standard at all for those cables, unlike interconnect cables. and then the electrical specs of an IEM(huge sensitivity, crossovers, etc) make them much more likely to be impacted by small changes in the rest of the circuit than a 200ohm almost fully resistive, low sensi headphone.
so between that and how I keep purchasing the cheapest cables in batches so I often get some lemons, I could be the ambassador of a campaign on how IEM cables could change the sound audibly sometimes( but spending hundreds of $ on less than 1.5 meters of wire blows my mind).
and yet I almost always end up having to argue against people claiming that cables make a difference because of how sadly consistent most of them are when it comes to having no valid argumentation beyond "I know what I heard" under totally uncontrolled conditions. even when used to defend a fact, logical fallacies and disdain for rigorous experimentation still spoil the conversation and burn their credibility to the ground(at least in my eyes, and that will indeed get them roasted in Sound Science). reaching the right conclusion(or close enough) through completely inapt methods and dubious logic, that's still being wrong.
I wish that from time to time, someone would try to defend a position with more than his unwarranted self confidence. everybody would gain from fact based statements and accepting that an anecdote is not is not a new law of physics for all cables in the universe.

what pisses me off the most is when someone assumes that a metal has a sound, so if we use a silver cable or whatever on any IEM or headphone, it's supposed to carry those same sonic characteristics over. this can be disproved by a teen who just started learning about Ohm's law at school, and yet, I'll read about such idea maybe once a week, and usually nobody even pretends to contest it. sure enough the "accountability free" cable section of the forum doesn't help putting the record straight.

PS: did you expect that even as an April Fools, the subject would end up toxic? ^_^ welcome to Sound Science, the special place where toxic topics usually end up, helping to create that legendary atmosphere of fun.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,763 of 3,338
IMO the "we don't understand everything about sound yet" is irrational. pressure goes up, then pressure goes down, then it goes up again. seems pretty straightforward to me. I would rather go with "we don't understand everything about the brain", or "we have one hell of a hard time figuring out how to translate objective variables into subjective impressions". makes more sense to me.

Yeah, but to say that you have to be like IQ above 160 so please forgive us poor peasants :D

Now seriously of course I do agree with you.

At least the parts I understand, LOL :wink:

P.S. I've just received demos of some crazy crap Brimar cables which are probably among the most exotic ones and yes, they do sound fantastic. But don't take my word for it, I'm planning to do a proper kosher blind test as you suggest! Will share.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,764 of 3,338

Just for the record, I don't find the topic "controversial". To me, it's fascinating, and I love discussing it, but that's just me.

BTW, may I ask why you measure with 8000Hz resonance? I don't think this is accurate. Shouldn't you be aiming at ~9000hz? I think it should be somewhere around 9-10kHz, but nobody on the planet knows where is the "ultimate sweet spot" for sure, but to me if you have the resonance at 8kHz its basically simulating "bad insertion". Just asking. :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,765 of 3,338
Just for the record, I don't find the topic "controversial". To me, it's fascinating, and I love discussing it, but that's just me.

BTW, may I ask why you measure with 8000Hz resonance? I don't think this is accurate. Shouldn't you be aiming at ~9000hz? I think it should be somewhere around 9-10kHz, but nobody on the planet knows where is the "ultimate sweet spot" for sure, but to me if you have the resonance at 8kHz its basically simulating "bad insertion". Just asking. :)

Why is 9-10k more accurate than 8k?

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,767 of 3,338
Why is 9-10k more accurate than 8k?

Because the in-ear resonance is at ~9kHz, and pretty much all IEMs are tuned with that in mind, not at 8. Having the measurements with the peak at 8 exaggerates the measurements at that region greatly, leaving the "intended/tuning" dip at 9-10kHz well... with a huge dip (something that confused me before in regards to your DM6 graph, leading me to believe that your coupler wasn't compensating for it, which also didn't make sense), that does not correspond to the intended tuning. I will give the Etymotic ER4SR as an example of where things get kinda... not "universal" in a sense, where your measurements differ from the official one (which were made with the GRAS ear simulator). The shortest ear-canal for example would create the "resonance" at ~7kHz, while the longest will be at up to 16kHz in some cases, making the ~10kHz the ideal sweet spot IMO (which is what's used as the standard for tuning). Most ear canals will fall between 9kHz and 11kHz. Anyway, those are just a few thoughts I had recently anyway, fueled mainly by the disparity between your measurements of the DM6, and HBB's. Those differences are not because of unit variance (as I thought), but mainly because of that resonance shift (silicone vs foam also plays a role in comparing you guys's graphs, but it's more of a "smoothing" thing, not the obvious "peak shift", as someone might point out). Anyway... :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,768 of 3,338
Because the in-ear resonance is at ~9kHz, and pretty much all IEMs are tuned with that in mind, not at 8.

Most ear canals will fall between 9kHz and 11kHz.

Do you have a source for this? I don’t recall seeing any papers that made reference to this when I was deliberating on what resonance point I should use back in the beginning.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,769 of 3,338
You can see what looks like a frequency response chart under section 4 on the product page http://intime-acoustic.jp/?pid=133356470

It definitely has more sub bass than the graph shows though. It was described as being a lighter version of the regular sora while having improved highs with a retuning of the driver/tweeter. They improved it by making it less harsh than the original. I went to Japan interested in buying the regular sora based on crin's impression and walked out with the sora light. It would be nice if crin was able to demo and measure the light. I think its a top choice for under $50

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #1,770 of 3,338
You can see what looks like a frequency response chart under section 4 on the product page http://intime-acoustic.jp/?pid=133356470

It definitely has more sub bass than the graph shows though. It was described as being a lighter version of the regular sora while having improved highs with a retuning of the driver/tweeter. They improved it by making it less harsh than the original. I went to Japan interested in buying the regular sora based on crin's impression and walked out with the sora light. It would be nice if crin was able to demo and measure the light. I think its a top choice for under $50
I ordered it because it was rated #1 at e earphone Japan , #2 was the sora light balanced edition then it's the e3000 and #4 is the Kinera seed japan edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back