Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #61 of 258
Quote:
I'll just share my latest, completely aesthetic CAL mod here :) Will try and get my hands on some silver wire for added bling sometime.

I still want to see what it'd look like with some cups from Martincustomaudio.

Oh man, I'd take a wood set from Martin, I'd slap those suckers on one of my Denon AHD1000's and call it a day.  I really like the wood on the A100, Too bad the cans are built and sound horrible. A woody D1100, I don't think so
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #62 of 258
Quote:
Okay so I really do enjoy the cans, but like other people have mentioned, the pads just don't quite fit.

So I've been researching, and I came up with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XEYT6G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LXBKOLL3J3K6

I tried to see if anyone with d1001s tried these pads but with no results. Anyone think these will fit?

Dont' know if they fit or not. But I know the Shure 940 pads fit on the HM5, and if the HM5 pads fit on the CALs. So the 940 pads might fit..... Maybe.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #64 of 258
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #66 of 258
Nice options. Liking the CAL's so far, probably rate them over my Beyer 770's.

I'd hold off recabling with something so heavy as the Mogami listed. I've used similar cables which add microphonics, weight and inflexibility to the cabling whilst doing little to improve the sound.

There are good cabling options, I'm not a fan of the fat cable designed for microphones.

I have some butyl compound I'm interested in trying out, hoping the added weight / density will help the isolation a little.

Interesting trying the HM5 pads, they seem a little large (have them on my Beyer's), I like the stock CAL pads.

B

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #68 of 258
I just finished my mod on my CAL, made it to have a detachable cable using a 2.5mm chassis jack and used my old Sol republic cable with control talk. I'll be buying a black cable later dont like the red. :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #69 of 258
I am going to recable my Cal's with Toxic Cable 24AWG OCC Copper, just waiting for the wire to come in..

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #72 of 258
I just got my wire in today made this cable.  Toxic Cables 24AWG, 6 feet.

May 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #73 of 258
My pair arrived yesterday.
1) Unamped they sound good.
2) Decent enough extension on the Beastie Boys 'Hey Ladies'
3) Clarity good but they are burning in
4) Separation good but not as good as the SuperLux 668b's.
5) Vocals ok with Adele but need more time to compare
6) Yes they have smallish over the ear cups that would fit over smaller ears well. For me they are slightly on the ear.

I really like these out of the box. The look and feel is very nice, the finish so good I felt bad touching them and smudging it!
Ear cushions are small but very comfortable!

May 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #74 of 258
Some additional thoughts when compared to the 668b's.

The CAL have a closer sound stage, as though all of the players are playing in an arc in front of me and took one step in my direction. The extended highs, reverb, echo and room ambiance are not as well developed as in the 668b's which have a much larger sound-stage, but the 90hz bass hump of the 668's is not in the CAL and is replaced by a clean lower extended bass that reaches much farther down. Still cannot decide if the CAL has a deeper one-note-bass or not, still listening.

Tonal signature of the 668's is a bit thin compared to the CAL, still listening for if this is due to the CAL deeper bass or a midrange/treble issue.

CAL are very comfortable, the pads are super cushy and the look of the cups is so nice that I did not want to touch them - these are good looking! No sweating around the ear cups, but the cups are just a little smaller than over the ear.

The wires are not as thick, and are not detachable. They are similar to IEM wires, in fact - appear to be frail and may be a weak point. Too thin.

Have just about completely burned in by now after 6+ days. Some recordings I prefer the extended detailed treble of the 668 on cymbal splashes, other tracks I prefer the deeper and more articulate bass of the CAL.

668 would seem to be the Classical phone of this pair, and the CAL the Rock phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back