Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #46 of 563
I have the CAL1 but the wire broke and the cushion wear out.

In your opinion or opinion of anyone who has tried this headphone, is this a good upgrade from the orignal CAL1?

I am still hesitant in buying this headphone as it cost much more than the orignal CAL1.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #47 of 563
I think I may have a defective model.  I also tested them with a Matrix M-Stage, FiiO E9K/E17, and a friend's Schiit Asgard 2.  Same issue.  I usually have the knobs at about 8-9 o'clock for other headphones whereas I have to have it at 12-2 o'clock for the CAL!2. 

I really can't compare it fairly to other headphones because of the issue.
Have you disovered the manual volume regulator which is part of the cable already ?

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #49 of 563

I think I may have a defective model.  I also tested them with a Matrix M-Stage, FiiO E9K/E17, and a friend's Schiit Asgard 2.  Same issue.  I usually have the knobs at about 8-9 o'clock for other headphones whereas I have to have it at 12-2 o'clock for the CAL!2. 

I really can't compare it fairly to other headphones because of the issue.

I think know what you mean here. I assume you played with the manual vol-adjust on the remote already. If so, press and hold the "answer" button on the remote - the volume will go up, right? This means you didn't attach the cable to the phones correctly - pay attention at the shape of the connector and the socket - it's triangle-shaped which require a careful placement - the Jack has to 'click' inside. Try that one and let me know about the result. 

In your opinion or opinion of anyone who has tried this headphone, is this a good upgrade from the orignal CAL1?

I am still hesitant in buying this headphone as it cost much more than the orignal CAL1.

Thanks

I think they made a huge improvement here, the comfort, soundstage, details ... new CAL!2 are more fun to me. Wait couple of weeks, I expect the price to go down as soon as these phones are available in more stores...

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #50 of 563

I think know what you mean here. I assume you played with the manual vol-adjust on the remote already. If so, press and hold the "answer" button on the remote - the volume will go up, right? This means you didn't attach the cable to the phones correctly - pay attention at the shape of the connector and the socket - it's triangle-shaped which require a careful placement - the Jack has to 'click' inside. Try that one and let me know about the result. 

I think they made a huge improvement here, the comfort, soundstage, details ... new CAL!2 are more fun to me. Wait couple of weeks, I expect the price to go down as soon as these phones are available in more stores...

Thanks for replying. The CAL2 is available in my country ar 15% discount for CAL1 owners, so I was wondering if it is worth the plunge,

Thanks for your review, seeing that this is an improvement, I will most likely purchase it later this month.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #51 of 563
Nov 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #52 of 563

Have you disovered the manual volume regulator which is part of the cable already ?

Yes, I have seen the volume control.  Actually, after playing with it, I get a bit of distortion when I slide it up and down.  I went out and bought a cheapy 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it works just fine!  I'm assuming my volume regulator is bad. 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #53 of 563
  are u alright...? your jaws still hurting?? hehe ..
thanks for the sweet review, will u be reviewing the other models in the line?

Well yes, I'm awaiting for Brainwavz HM9. I'm also helping to get Momentum on-ear pretty soon now. 
Recently I wrote a few words about Monster N-Pulse http://twojepc.pl/artykuly.php?id=Recenzja-Monster-N-Pulse and NuForce HP-800 http://twojepc.pl/artykuly.php?id=Test-sluchawek-NuForce-HP-800&jedna_strona=1 but I imagine it's no use for you as this is in Polish :) 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 563

Yes, I have seen the volume control.  Actually, after playing with it, I get a bit of distortion when I slide it up and down.  I went out and bought a cheapy 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it works just fine!  I'm assuming my volume regulator is bad. 
confused_face_2.gif

Good decision and great it has solved the problem. The volume regulator looked a bit flimsy to me - those regulator's contacts tend to corrode, disconnect internally and cause channel imbalances after some time. I would suggest to get another cable if problems occur just like KetchupNinja did.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #55 of 563

confused_face_2.gif

when i had the philips uptown, i just taped up the volume control at MAX.. didnt let it move. :p

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #56 of 563

Well yes, I'm awaiting for Brainwavz HM9. I'm also helping to get Momentum on-ear pretty soon now. 
Recently I wrote a few words about Monster N-Pulse http://twojepc.pl/artykuly.php?id=Recenzja-Monster-N-Pulse and NuForce HP-800 http://twojepc.pl/artykuly.php?id=Test-sluchawek-NuForce-HP-800&jedna_strona=1 but I imagine it's no use for you as this is in Polish :) 

i tried the momentum on-ear vs the older bro just yesterday...A/B ing a few times.. no go for me,
the On-ear just sounded more tin-ny to my taste. 

U can always TRANSLATE for the HEADFI-folks here... u have a good concise style ..v easy to get the gist. 
Looking forward to your next review..ok...dun forget to TRANSLATE!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #57 of 563

when i had the philips uptown, i just taped up the volume control at MAX.. didnt let it move. :p

Excactly, no point of touching this slider. 
Out of the box the volume control caused some scratching noise in both channels, but after few times sliding it min/max the problem disappeared - proves it likes to corrode. 

Happy to hear you like my translations, to be continued then :)

KetchupNinja
Did the 2,5mm plug from non-oryginal fit in correctly? 
I assume it's 3 pole connector? 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #58 of 563

Excactly, no point of touching this slider. 
Out of the box the volume control caused some scratching noise in both channels, but after few times sliding it min/max the problem disappeared - proves it likes to corrode. 

Happy to hear you like my translations, to be continued then :)

KetchupNinja
Did the 2,5mm plug from non-oryginal fit in correctly? 
I assume it's 3 pole connector? 

The cable snaps in just like the original.  It is a 3 pole connector but the cable is pretty terrible lol.  I Just found whatever I could find at a Wal-Mart.  I definitely want to grab a higher quality one.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #59 of 563
Some quick impressions of the CAL!2.

-The highs are clear and sparkly but not fatiguing.

-Large sound stage for a closed can.

-Isolation is terrible, maybe that's why it sounds so open?

-Way too much bass, it kind of bleeds into the mids making them sound recessed.

-Poor build quality.  While the headband is quite sturdy, the ear cups and gimbals are made of extremely cheap plastic.

The bass is just too much for me.  If they had toned it down a bit and made the headphone more durable, these would've been a keeper.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #60 of 563
  Some quick impressions of the CAL!2.

-The highs are clear and sparkly but not fatiguing.

-Large sound stage for a closed can.

-Isolation is terrible, maybe that's why it sounds so open?

-Way too much bass, it kind of bleeds into the mids making them sound recessed.

-Poor build quality.  While the headband is quite sturdy, the ear cups and gimbals are made of extremely cheap plastic.

The bass is just too much for me.  If they had toned it down a bit and made the headphone more durable, these would've been a keeper.

just to get an idea of your tastes. What headphone that you have heard or own has the ideal amount of bass for you. I see that you have the d5k and the x1 both of which have large amounts of bass. Does this hp have more than the those????
blink.gif

You also just mentioned bass quantity, what about quality, and extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back