Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #61 of 563
  just to get an idea of your tastes. What headphone that you have heard or own has the ideal amount of bass for you. I see that you have the d5k and the ue6000's both of which have large amounts of bass. Does this hp have more than the d5k?

You also just mentioned bass quantity, what about quality?

I've owned quite few headphones but my favorites would be planars such as the LCD 2.2 and HE-500.  I'm really enjoying the old Denon line though.  The CAL!2 actually has more bass than the D5k, which is surprising to me.  Quality wise, the D5K's bass is more controlled and refined.  The CAL!2's sound way too thick and boomy in comparison.  I found that they both had similar extension in regards to the bass.  I didn't think it was fair to compare the two though, given the price of each. 

I've been actively comparing them with the UE6000's, they can be had for about $80-$120'ish nowadays.  IMO the UE6000's sounded more balanced but also a little dark in passive mode.  The bass is slightly emphasized but has nowhere near the amount of bass the CAL!2 has.  There's just so much that the UE6000's are better at, especially the price.  $99.99 new!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8588330&CatId=6240&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=je6NUbpObpQ&AffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-FbqOSw.EY5GLPCwfKWSf8g

It's not a bad headphone though, it's just not my cup of tea.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #62 of 563
^ I gotcha, i edited my post and swapped out the ue6000 with the x1 because I hastily posted that on accident. 

But I catch your drift. Just not as refined as you hoped for with bass overpowering the rest of the spectrum. With the large soundstage and big bass they might make a fun listen though for some songs. 

If you like the x1 and d5k and these have too much bass then I can take your word for it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #65 of 563
is there an inner foam lining that can be taken out? would that improve the bass?

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #67 of 563
Nov 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #68 of 563
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #69 of 563

I've owned quite few headphones but my favorites would be planars such as the LCD 2.2 and HE-500.  I'm really enjoying the old Denon line though.  The CAL!2 actually has more bass than the D5k, which is surprising to me.  Quality wise, the D5K's bass is more controlled and refined.  The CAL!2's sound way too thick and boomy in comparison.  I found that they both had similar extension in regards to the bass.  I didn't think it was fair to compare the two though, given the price of each. 

I've been actively comparing them with the UE6000's, they can be had for about $80-$120'ish nowadays.  IMO the UE6000's sounded more balanced but also a little dark in passive mode.  The bass is slightly emphasized but has nowhere near the amount of bass the CAL!2 has.  There's just so much that the UE6000's are better at, especially the price.  $99.99 new!

It's not a bad headphone though, it's just not my cup of tea.

Weird, the charts and DannyBai suggest the CAL!2 is less bassy.

Quote:
  I don't know if it's better but my memory of the UE6000's had boomy bass and the CAL2's are not as boomy.  I remember the UE's having pretty good mids and not so prominent treble.  I think the CAL2's are along the same lines but possibly better treble extension.  Both are spacious and the UE's were great with games and movies.  I would expect the same for the CAL2's.  If you already have the UE's coming, it's probably pointless to get the CAL2's.  

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #70 of 563

Weird, the charts and DannyBai suggest the CAL!2 is less bassy.

Quote:

The only times I thought the UE6000's bass was boomy was when the noise canceling was on.  Other than that, I do agree with Danny.  The treble extension is definitely better on the CAL!2.  Didn't you order one?  You should find out pretty soon
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #71 of 563
Yeah I did order one and it's at my local post office since this morning, but they won't deliver it until monday. 
mad.gif
 Stupid fedex smartpost!

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #72 of 563
I just got my CAL!2 today and right out the box it reminded me a lot of the original CAL!. 
Here's a quick impression from a 15 minutes listen. I reserve the right to change my opinion after a good burn in.

1. Bass quantity (imo) is not as big as KetchupNinja suggested, to me it's just a little better than the CAL! both in quantity and quality. Bass impact is kinda weak, I don't think I would recommend this headphone to bassheads.
  2. Vocal seem a little distant.
  3. The highs and mids are just a little better and a bit more detail than the CAL!
  4. Soundstage is pretty good so far. This headphone should be good for gaming.
  5. Build quality is similar to CAL!. 

That's all I got right now, to me the CAL!2 is just an improved version of the first one with a similar sound signature. I have to let my ears adjust to the sound (you audiophile type call this burn in) before I can give a more accurate impression.

EDIT:
It was hooked up to my ipod/C5, I will plug it up to my Lyr in a little bit. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #73 of 563
I just got my CAL!2 today and right out the box it reminded me a lot of the original CAL!. 
Here's a quick impression from a 15 minutes listen. I reserve the right to change my opinion after a good burn in.

• Bass quantity (imo) is not as big as KetchupNinja suggested, to me it's just a little better than the CAL! both in quantity and quality. 
  • Vocal seem a little distant
  • The highs and mids are just a little better and a bit more detail than the CAL!
  • Soundstage is pretty good so far
  • Build quality is similar to CAL!

That's all I got right now, to me the CAL!2 is just an improved version of the first one with a similar sound signature. I have to let my ears adjust to the sound (you audiophile type call this burn in) before I can give an accurate impression.

EDIT:
It was hooked up to my ipod/C5, I will plug it up to my Lyr in a little bit. 

Good write up. I agree with you on your observations besides the bass lol. I thought the vocals sounded a little distant as well. It seemed to me that the bass overpowered them. It might just be a personal thing, after all we all hear differently and it shows with the CAL! 2.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #74 of 563
Good write up. I agree with you on your observations besides the bass lol. I thought the vocals sounded a little distant as well. It seemed to me that the bass overpowered them. It might just be a personal thing, after all we all hear differently and it shows with the CAL! 2.

Agreed. 
smile.gif
 I need to stay away from my Q40 for a while, that might be why I'm not hearing it correctly. This whole week will be dedicated to the CAL!2. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #75 of 563
Just a  quick update. I've been experimenting with a few mods and one of the first one I tried is the easiest one. I swap in the velour pads from my DT-250 and it sounds pretty good. Isolation suffers a bit but the sound is a little brighter, vocal seems better and the overall sound is a bit more balanced. I'll have to do an A&B with the stock pads to know for sure but I think most people will prefer velour pads. 

It's not a perfect fit since the DT-250 pads are oblong, but it does fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back