Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,293 of 12,335
Quote:
If they get 25+ committed Ill probably jump on this as I really dont feel the Crack is worth more than $200.

What are you basing that on, exactly? The Crack is a phenomenal amp for the price.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,295 of 12,335
Quote:
The fact that I have a degree in electrical engineering, have poured over the schematic for it, and the cost of the parts involved. Either way its my opinion, nothing more.

This is true of 99% of all consumer electronics equipment though. It would be difficult to find an OTL tube amplifier as good as it, built by any manufacturer for anything close to this price. And for 8 hours worth of work - with a well documented, all inclusive kit, this still represents a lot of value to those of us who are not up to the task of (or have enough time to) drafting our own schematics, sourcing our own parts, and truly scratch building. 

*shrug*

Everyone's definition of value is different. For many of us, this represents a good balance between high end sound, cost, and time/effort. Your own equation will be different based on your own variables of time, expertise, and budget. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,296 of 12,335
Quote:
The fact that I have a degree in electrical engineering, have poured over the schematic for it, and the cost of the parts involved. Either way its my opinion, nothing more.

Never mind the fact that extremely similar commercial offerings go for substantially more money, and use similarly inexpensive parts......

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,297 of 12,335
Quote:

That is a very limited and simple view.

There is the enclosure and the cost of cutting it... the cost of the training material that ships with it.. the cost of packaging and sourcing of tubes (and matching the tubes)

There's a LOT more to the final price then just the price of the electronics

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,298 of 12,335
The Crack is indeed a phenomenal amp for the price.   It was the 3rd headphone amp I built and I have not built another since.   The first two amps are in the closet collecting dust....
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,299 of 12,335
Quote:

This is true of 99% of all consumer electronics equipment though. It would be difficult to find an OTL tube amplifier as good as it, built by any manufacturer for anything close to this price. And for 8 hours worth of work - with a well documented, all inclusive kit, this still represents a lot of value to those of us who are not up to the task of (or have enough time to) drafting our own schematics, sourcing our own parts, and truly scratch building. 

*shrug*

Everyone's definition of value is different. For many of us, this represents a good balance between high end sound, cost, and time/effort. Your own equation will be different based on your own variables of time, expertise, and budget. 

Very true and well put. That is why I suffixed the statement with "just my opinion".

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,301 of 12,335
I'd like to upgrade the volume pot on my Crack.  Any recommendations??  Where to buy also would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back