Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #8,986 of 12,335
Cheating a bit by using some used prices but I'd say La Figarro 339 and Mjolnir 2 are both better purchases at that range.

What do you guys do with tubes that have ringing? I have a couple lying around that i don't listen to because of that problem.

Edit: added in Mjolnir 2 which I accidentally deleted before posting.

Clean the pins with the DeoxIt. If that doesn't help, get rid of it and move on.

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #8,987 of 12,335
Cheating a bit by using some used prices but I'd say La Figarro 339 and Mjolnir 2 are both better purchases at that range.

What do you guys do with tubes that have ringing? I have a couple lying around that i don't listen to because of that problem.

La Figarro sure, but not the Mjolnir 2. But that could just be me. I really dont like a neutral analytical signature.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #8,988 of 12,335
Btw have you guys seen what cshop87's selling on eBay? Beautiful, just beautiful.

It's usually considered good form to clarify whether or not you have any association with the seller when posting this kind of thing.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #8,990 of 12,335
Your comment may be adding some confusion. Those are our kits. We did not assemble them. I don't know why anyone would assume that we did.
None of that is my point. Generally accepted good netiquette is that someone clarifies when they post enthusiasm about something for sale whether they have any association with the seller or not. I was just suggesting that such a clarification might be appropriate here.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #8,991 of 12,335
Nice builds but I assumed there was an association myself. Most folks are proud of their own builds, it is part of the experience.

I should clarify, an association between the seller and commentor seemed logical. Bottlehead just sells a very well documented kit.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #8,992 of 12,335

MJ2 isn't that much better. I have the MJ2 and the Crack + Speedball. Crack I'd put somewhere between the Lyr2 and the MJ2 on most things, but the MJ2 is really is harsh and tubes don't help that much, Crack vs MJ2 at least for me is really a question of what you prefer. Ya loose some detail with Crack, but gain musicality. Neither amp will put you in the room with the performer, but I'd say the Crack gets closer. Some of this will of course come down to what you are driving with the amp, can't run my Ethers off the Crack. My point is it's not as clear cut as suggested.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #8,993 of 12,335
Who knows the model numbers for "big Russian" and "little Russian" tubes? What are the best crack tubes for use with HD650?

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8,994 of 12,335
Who knows the model numbers for "big Russian" and "little Russian" tubes? What are the best crack tubes for use with HD650?

There really is no "best", all the higher end tubes are a balance of trade-offs really. That being said, I prefer the Siemens Chrome Plate for the driver most of the time. And for power tubes I rotate between the 5998, Mullard 6080, and Tung Sol 6as7G

If you've heard the Valhalla 2 with your 650's, the SIemens + 5998 will give you a very close sound signature, with maybe a touch of added warmth.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #8,995 of 12,335
I like some Russian 6as7g's I bought NOS, they are the larger tube of course. I do not have an amp in front of me but I am fairly certain that is the tube number. I used four of them in this configuration.

IMG_2243.JPG

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #8,996 of 12,335

My pair of choice is the Tung Sol 5998 + Mullard 12AU7 (Or Amperex Bugle Boy, Tungsgram E80CC , Amperex 7119 PQ -> Crack needs modifications to run the latter 2)

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #8,997 of 12,335
The question was about Russian tubes but I have run Tung Sol etc. and own a Valhalla 2, IMHO the Crack is warmer sounding with most any combination I have tried. The Valhalla is a little tough to discern from solid state or maybe I have not varied my tube rolling in it enough to approximate a Crack.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,998 of 12,335
The question was about Russian tubes but I have run Tung Sol etc. and own a Valhalla 2, IMHO the Crack is warmer sounding with most any combination I have tried. The Valhalla is a little tough to discern from solid state or maybe I have not varied my tube rolling in it enough to approximate a Crack.

You need to try the Tungsgram E80CC. It really livens up the signature. But the plate load resistors will need to be swapped for it work effectively.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #9,000 of 12,335
MJ2 isn't that much better. I have the MJ2 and the Crack + Speedball. Crack I'd put somewhere between the Lyr2 and the MJ2 on most things, but the MJ2 is really is harsh and tubes don't help that much, Crack vs MJ2 at least for me is really a question of what you prefer. Ya loose some detail with Crack, but gain musicality. Neither amp will put you in the room with the performer, but I'd say the Crack gets closer. Some of this will of course come down to what you are driving with the amp, can't run my Ethers off the Crack. My point is it's not as clear cut as suggested.

Just to clarify, my comment was in the context of spending $650 for a prebuilt Crack with speedball, no other mods involved. Given that price bracket I think the MJ2 offers a lot more for a majority of people. I agree it's mostly a matter of preference and I typically tend towards the more utilitarian choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back