1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Crack;Bottlehead OTL

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ironbut, Mar 9, 2010.
First

Back
588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597
599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608
Next

Last
  1. SeNNsational
    I don't know for sure but I don't think so. I should have said at 50%+ it's starting to get loud, at 75% it is pumping and close to too much so it sounds like this is similar to yours. Thanks, that confirms that aspect is fine then it would seem.

I've been listening to it between 9 (1/4 turn) and 2 o'clock depending on source+style. I brought this up as I had read in some posts that there are others with similar setup who were uncomfortable listening with it set past 9 o'clock so I was wondering if mine was particularly off.

In Quebec.

2. i luvmusic 2
    With mine at 10 o'clock really loud can't stand it,The reason i asked if you're from GTA i would like to let you try my DAC before you start spending your hard earned $$$$ or maybe i can assist you with something else on your setup.

SeNNsational likes this.
  3. attmci
    Could be: 1) A very weak power tube. 2) master setting of your play back device.

4. bloodhawk
  5. i luvmusic 2
    I'am in the Process of making my first AUDIOPHOLE Power Bar using this Filter because My Crack,SEX and DIY amp is plug into the wall socket i can only plug-in 2 at a time.Has anyone here used this type of filter and what is the best type of connection for the filter SOLDERED or QUICK TYPE Connectors?Thanks!
    IMG_0911.JPG IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0913.JPG

6. Paladin79
    You can use spade connectors if you make sure they are nice and tight on the connections. You can use long nose pliers to tighten them a bit if you have any issues. Soldering is more permanent and more trust worthy but if you are planning on unplugging things on occasion the spade connectors can be handy for that. I used some on the grounds on the inside of a couple Cracks I made. I then used molex connectors for audio pots and other wiring.

7. i luvmusic 2
    Thanks!BTW i paid CAD$2.00 each filter that is why i end up with two:)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Paladin79
    Very nice. It is great to see someone taking the time to do things for himself. I start another Crack build soon but most likely that will happen after Christmas. I just drifted into the realm of solid state amplifiers and balanced audio but I will return to tubes soon.

9. i luvmusic 2
    SS and Balanced?You are lucky that one of the Head-fi member is not subscribe into this thread or else he will be all over you that guy is a Balanced audio fanatic.

10. Paladin79
    I like to try lots of venues, I have done balanced with tubes as well. I am doing another steampunk Crack before long but my Christmas parties have me booked till January.

11. bloodhawk
    Belly of the beast is now full of.. errm.. Crack ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Faber65 and JamieMcC like this.
  12. SeNNsational
    To follow up on this, I tested my current set of tubes and my power (and a few of the input) tubes were microphonic. The RCA 6080 I had in, that isn't supposed to be very good in the first place rang like a bell when tapped with a little force from a pencil. So I changed that out for a NOS 6AS7G SED Winged C and a new-ish EH 12AU7 and it's night and day. Listening to the Skyrim OST in lossless for instance now sounds like I'm completely surrounded by instruments.

I have a pair of NOS Tung Sol 6080WA power tubes on the way and some other 12AU7 + 6SN7 input tubes to try out.

I have to say the EH 12AU7 are great though given these are not rare at all so can be bought cheap.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  13. Demoninja
    Just have to chime in and express my joy! I finally have a dead quiet Crack!!!! For the longest time I had buzzing and humming and crackles and all sorts of crappy noises I don't want to hear. I've rebuilt the amp 3 times, one of those times with a majority of new components. Turns out my build was probably perfectly fine the first time because purchasing a UPS and some new tubes solved all of those noises. Whew finally time to sit back and enjoy listening to this kit I've had for over 2 years now.

bloodhawk, LikeABell and DavidA like this.
  14. Jimmy24
    HD 650 + Crack/Speedball one of the best combo's ever made!

15. attmci
    If you really like it, you may consider to upgrade the caps.

First

Back
588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597
599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608
Next

Last