Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #6,181 of 12,335

That's only because you haven't bought a Mainline!
evil_smiley.gif
(Joking - your Crack sounds awesome with the mods you chose)

Haha. Yeap, the mods you helped me choose!  :)

I think that the Mainline is an obvious step up. However when you are at 95/100... paying double to make it 97 or 98... is exactly what this hobby is all about! Haha.

I've already hit the diminishing returns point with DAC (I think my happy point was around the $800 mark). I am trying to hold out with the amp side of things until money is no longer an object to me. Then I'll be back for the Mainline!  :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #6,182 of 12,335
  Hmm, I guess I should buy the Crack. Just for the sake of comparison, what would be the next best tube amp aside from the Bottlehead Crack?

Easy question, if you love the sound of the specific brand, in this case it's Bottlehead, you just upgrade to the next amp of their product line.

A Bottlehead S.E.X or particularly a Mainline is what you're looking for.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #6,183 of 12,335
  Easy question, if you love the sound of the specific brand, in this case it's Bottlehead, you just upgrade to the next amp of their product line.

A Bottlehead S.E.X or particularly a Mainline is what you're looking for.

Ah, I guess I used a word incorrectly there. I was asking what would be the SECOND best tube amp aside from the Crack.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6,184 of 12,335
  Ah, I guess I used a word incorrectly there. I was asking what would be the SECOND best tube amp aside from the Crack.

I read some claiming that the WooAudio WA7\WA6 and La Figaro 339 are good candidates to out perform the crack, that price though. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,185 of 12,335
As an observation if I had a pound or dollar for every time I've seen a post such as I sold my Woo WA7\WA6, La Figaro 339, little dot, 02, Dark voice, Graham Slee, etc after hearing the Crack, I would now be able to afford a Bottlehead Mainline.
atsmile.gif

Conversely if I had a pound or dollar for every time I've seen a post such as I sold my Crack to buy a Woo WA7\WA6, La Figaro, little dot, 02, Dark voice, Graham Slee, etc I would still be saving up for a Big Mac and fries
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #6,186 of 12,335
Hey guys,

So I just purchased the HD650 for the third time (I don't seem to like anything else), and I am looking to dip my toes into the OTL tube world. I have read through half this thread so far and I wish I had taken notes, but I was at work on my phone.

Anyways I saw some posts stating the certain tube types are less microphonic and quieter compared to others. I plan on getting the speedball so I will not be buying expensive tubes. Really I just want an extra set of tubes in the event of failure and for testing purposed, if they look cool that is a bonus.

1. So what is the least microphonic and most quiet intput tube?

2. From the 5998, 6080 and 6as7g, which has the least microphonics and the quietest?

Also, I don't want high gain if possible.

Thanks

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #6,187 of 12,335
I've had very good luck with 6080 with the metal mica tabs like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-1959-Chatham-JAN-CAHG-6080-tube-Black-Plates-Top-Getters-/361109730255?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5413d133cf

Hey guys,

So I just purchased the HD650 for the third time (I don't seem to like anything else), and I am looking to dip my toes into the OTL tube world. I have read through half this thread so far and I wish I had taken notes, but I was at work on my phone.

Anyways I saw some posts stating the certain tube types are less microphonic and quieter compared to others. I plan on getting the speedball so I will not be buying expensive tubes. Really I just want an extra set of tubes in the event of failure and for testing purposed, if they look cool that is a bonus.

1. So what is the least microphonic and most quiet intput tube?

2. From the 5998, 6080 and 6as7g, which has the least microphonics and the quietest?

Also, I don't want high gain if possible.

Thanks

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #6,189 of 12,335
All my JAN mil spec 6080s run dead quiet in my crack. Admittedly not quite as sexy looking as the ST shaped tubes but nice and rugged. You should be able to find Chatham, Sylvania etc for less than $10 a pop.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #6,190 of 12,335
I'm planning to order a Crack+Speedball in a day or 2 and I'm not that familiar with how the delivery works. Basically, how long does it takes for the item to arrive? Or is it just a simple ready stock order that can be shipped as soon as I make the payment?

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6,191 of 12,335
 You will be charged the time you ordered,I waited 4 weeks(US to Canada)No need to worry their customer service is top notch highly recommended.
 I bought the CRACK and S.E.X. from them with no issue you just need to be patience waiting for your item.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #6,192 of 12,335
   You will be charged the time you ordered,I waited 4 weeks(US to Canada)No need to worry their customer service is top notch highly recommended.
 I bought the CRACK and S.E.X. from them with no issue you just need to be patience waiting for your item.

Yeah, I just don't quite understand what the shipping status mean. What is the longest delivery time I have to wait before getting the item?

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6,193 of 12,335

Yeah, I just don't quite understand what the shipping status mean. What is the longest delivery time I have to wait before getting the item?

I can't answer that only BH will know how long(typically i think at least 4 weeks but i could be wrong)

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6,194 of 12,335

I'm on the wait list for a Crack and I believe the "Shipping Status" page can be interpreted in a fairly straightforward manner. Look for the product you're interested in (let's say the Crack) - as of today, it says "Orders through 10/19 shipped". That means if you had ordered on (or before) October 19, your order would have shipped by now. Today it is November 17, just a little bit less than a month after Oct. 19. So, looking to the recent past for guidance, Crack kits that are ordered today would be expected to ship in about a month, which is very consistent with the guidance Bottlehead offers on the Crack product page and on the shipping status page. They are not going to give you an absolute guarantee of a specific future shipping date until the parts for your kit are in house, as it sometimes takes longer than expected to get a hold of all the bits and pieces needed, and in order to keep costs down, Bottlehead doesn't hold onto a bunch of extra inventory. If you want one, the best advice is to get your order in ASAP and you'll get it as soon as possible. Enjoy,

-John

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6,195 of 12,335
Thanks John, that was a very accurate description of how the process works. I see posts on the internet occasionally, to the effect of "Why does Bottlehead do business that way? He should be going to a bank and borrowing money to buy inventory so he can deliver like Amazon or Land's End." We had several competitors who operated their kit businesses that way. The key word there is had. Unfortunately you can't use the operating model of a large scale manufacturer or distributor when you are a small company filling needs for a pretty exclusive niche market. Though we don't offer hand wrought exotic materials options or 30 different paint colors, our business fits the description of a custom manufacturer a lot more than a multinational selling mass quantities of finished goods. And thus we stay with the program of putting these kits together to order. It may not be the best offering for those seeking instant gratification, but the system has been working pretty well for nearly 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back