Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 11, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,167 of 12,335
  How spacious is the inside of the Crack? Has anyone tried to put in a small DAC inside of it?

You could easily fit a Dragonfly / ODAC / HRT Streamer, etc. although the risk of noise has been raised in these types of discussions before

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #6,168 of 12,335
Maybe a stupid question but have a small party comming up and was wondering if I could plug in one those small "wireless" speakers using a mini to mini. Crack headphone out to line in on the speaker.

Again sorry if it is a stupid question but generally not used to play music for anybody else:wink:

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #6,169 of 12,335
Maybe a stupid question but have a small party comming up and was wondering if I could plug in one those small "wireless" speakers using a mini to mini. Crack headphone out to line in on the speaker.

Again sorry if it is a stupid question but generally not used to play music for anybody else:wink:

I have used a cMoyBB with some cheap computer speakers to provide additional gain. They actually handled it quite well and did not distort / blow up.

You run the risk of clipping if you input signal is too high, i.e. too loud, but you can always try and see if it works. Just start with the Crack at a pretty low volume.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #6,171 of 12,335

How spacious is the inside of the Crack? Has anyone tried to put in a small DAC inside of it?

You could easily fit a Dragonfly / ODAC / HRT Streamer, etc. although the risk of noise has been raised in these types of discussions before

Did not realize that the Crack (or tubes in general) were so sensitive to noise).

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6,172 of 12,335
  Did not realize that the Crack (or tubes in general) were so sensitive to noise).

It can be. There are several wall outlets in my house where I pick up noise. This is directly related to the other devices on the circuit.

However, if I use it on a clean circuit, then I have no noise whatsoever. Completely dead-silent and I am without the Speedball upgrade. No clue how much more silent the amp can get.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6,176 of 12,335
Hey guys, I'm new to audiophile and are planning to buy Bottlehead Crack for my soon-to-be HD600. Firstly, is there any option for a ready-assembled Crack instead of just the kit? I have zero experience on soldering and isn't planning to start now especially with Bottlehead Crack for my first. Secondly, is there a massive difference between the Crack and O2/DAC or maybe a Schiit Stack? I realize that one is tube amp and the rest are solid state but I'm no expert in audiophile and are planning to listen casually instead of doing it as a job. Those questions are probably answered before in this thread but I don't have time to skim through 400+ pages to look for the answer. Thanks.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #6,177 of 12,335
  Hey guys, I'm new to audiophile and are planning to buy Bottlehead Crack for my soon-to-be HD600. Firstly, is there any option for a ready-assembled Crack instead of just the kit? I have zero experience on soldering and isn't planning to start now especially with Bottlehead Crack for my first. Secondly, is there a massive difference between the Crack and O2/DAC or maybe a Schiit Stack? I realize that one is tube amp and the rest are solid state but I'm no expert in audiophile and are planning to listen casually instead of doing it as a job. Those questions are probably answered before in this thread but I don't have time to skim through 400+ pages to look for the answer. Thanks.

First, bottlehead offers assembling services which will cost you about $200 for the crack. To save some buck I recommend you to take a look at the for sale forums http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

Second, the difference is indeed massive, at least that's what I heard moving from schitt asgard to crack. Imo the best thing about HD600 Crack combo is you won't have to worry about upgrade your setup any time soon.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #6,178 of 12,335
I second that. 

I've upgraded my DAC to one worth 1.4K, I'm using the Beyer T1, upgraded RCAs, USB cables, Headphone cable. 

The one constant is the Crack SB. 

I've owned and sold two Bakoon amps because I prefer the Crack with the T1. 

Of course if I owned a low impedance planar like hifiman or audeze I would have probably kept a Bakoon amp too but since I don't, the Crack is my last amp standing. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #6,180 of 12,335
  I second that. 

I've upgraded my DAC to one worth 1.4K, I'm using the Beyer T1, upgraded RCAs, USB cables, Headphone cable. 

The one constant is the Crack SB. 

I've owned and sold two Bakoon amps because I prefer the Crack with the T1. 

Of course if I owned a low impedance planar like hifiman or audeze I would have probably kept a Bakoon amp too but since I don't, the Crack is my last amp standing. 

That's only because you haven't bought a Mainline!
evil_smiley.gif
(Joking - your Crack sounds awesome with the mods you chose)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back