Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #5,401 of 12,335
  Quick question about the Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver solder - what is the consensus on its impact on sound (if any)? Any advice on how to use it properly?

No impact at all to sound. But it is easier to control than some of other solders (mostly due to the smaller diameter).

Note, if you get the lead free, it has a higher melt point, so you need to watch your technique and if needed, use heatsinks to make sure you don't toast anything important. If you are new to soldering, get the leaded variety. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #5,404 of 12,335
First of all I have to say it is a blast building Bottlehead gear.  I've built several kits over the years.  Couple of Foreplay 2's, Couple of Foreplay 3's, Paramours, SeX Amp, Couple of Cracks SeYy Speakers....probably more I'm forgetting.  Done all the mods to all the gear as well.  Fantastic quality and just fun to make.

I've finally found the magic configuration for my BH Crack here in my living room.  Some will probably shake their heads in disbelief but I'm telling you it works for me.

Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball
Western Electric 421A
Orange label RCA clear top (I'm sorry my mega buck, rare, made by aliens 12AU7's don't compliment the 421A like this one Clear Top I have).
Sennheiser HD650
Fiio E17 plugged into 2012 Mac Mini running Clementine.  I've found if I go to the Spotify app somewhere and select an album and create a new playlist with it then play it back through the Spotify plugin in Clementine with the output set as Audo Sink (OSX) then it sounds crazy, ridiculously, stupidly amazing.  Listening to Amber Rubarth "Sessions From the 17th Ward" and I've never heard it this good.

If you haven't experienced the Bottlehead Crack you absolutely should.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,406 of 12,335

Are you in love yet?

The Mundorfs and I are still courting 
biggrin.gif
 and while there are noticeable differences between the films caps I have on hand its not particularly as clear cut as I was expecting or would like considering the price differences.  

I do think its safe to say that anyone fitting Mundorfs won't be disappointed and will have a very nice sounding Crack. Also I have kept my Teflon bypass in place today and they will be masking some of the differences so tomorrow (err later today after I have got some sleep 1 am here) the Teflons will come out and then try again with just the 100ufs on their own.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #5,407 of 12,335

The Mundorfs and I are still courting 
biggrin.gif
 and while there are noticeable differences between the films caps I have on hand its not particularly as clear cut as I was expecting or would like considering the price differences.  

I do think its safe to say that anyone fitting Mundorfs won't be disappointed and will have a very nice sounding Crack. Also I have kept my Teflon bypass in place today and they will be masking some of the differences so tomorrow (err later today after I have got some sleep 1 am here) the Teflons will come out and then try again with just the 100ufs on their own.

I forgot to ask which series Mundorfs you're using?

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #5,414 of 12,335

Fitting a choke and replacing the last electrolytic capacitor with a film capacitor makes a nice improvement to bass extension.
wink_face.gif

Hi Jamie:

I got 2 chokes and a film capacitor. Unfortunately, I don't know where it goes and neither does my friend who assembled it for me. Can you help with a photo or a brief note as to where all these things go? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,415 of 12,335
Hi guys, can I join this wonderful club with my new modded Crack?
tongue.gif

And...in action!

Cheers,

Kratos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back