Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,681 of 12,347

As several people have already stated, make sure you jump the ground terminals - I have first hand experience with forgetting this little step, and I'll just say that the results can be quite shocking!

Yea I jumped the terminals :D Btw the PCB I have on my valab pot the R and L channels are wrong. R=L and L=R. Somebody made a mistake building the pot or just the plate is wrong. But that is not a big deal and the crack sounds wonderful :) Received my CBS 5814A tube too. Happy days 
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #4,685 of 12,347
Seeing some of the finishes on these amps has really got me wanting to build another one, but this time anticipating the oversights and after-thoughts from the first time around. I really like the look of the hammered paint that everyone's using 
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4,686 of 12,347
It's been about 3-4 years now with the Crack amp since I had built it.  I noticed some infrequent and random crackling in the left channel over the past few months.  Switched out tubes and that didn't make a difference.  So I decided to take a paint brush and touch all of the connection points, figuring some dust or hair may be setting it off.  All appears to be fine now.  Just wanted to post my thoughts if anyone else comes across this... I suppose it's the trade off of building a great sounding kit without a full enclosure.

Maybe one of these days I'll build a different base for it, who knows! :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,687 of 12,347
Any enclosure would still need cooling slots or holes that would allow dust in. Cleaning out any audio gear every few years is a very good idea. You should have seen the dust buildup on the insides of some of the 60 year old antique radios I have restored. Scary.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4,688 of 12,347
Have ordered the following
Obbligato gold 94 uF
Teflon 10uF
Jupiter Beeswax 1uF
Solen 220uF

Wow - that's some combo!  Are there 94uF Obbligato golds now or are you doubling up on the 47's on each channel?

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #4,689 of 12,347
Doubling up on 47 uF for each channel (94 / channel)

Teflons are RTI Electronics

can't get Jupiter HTs atm, so they will have to wait.

The Crack of Dawn MkII has to compete against MkI for capacitor real estate boasting rights!

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #4,690 of 12,347
Doubling up on 47 uF for each channel (94 / channel)

Teflons are RTI Electronics

can't get Jupiter HTs atm, so they will have to wait.

The Crack of Dawn MkII has to compete against MkI for capacitor real estate boasting rights!

Get those RTI teflons in the burn in rig asap the first 450hrs have been a bit of a torture test fitting them while they are not burned in fully. With about 500hrs on mine so far, though massively improved and now listenable the sonics are swinging from amazing to the bass sounding a loose. I wondered if it was smearing at first but as it comes and goes I don't think it is just need more burn in time perhaps due to the lower loadings with a head-amp.  Hearing lots of new things that I had not noticed before such as backing vocals splitting into distinct individuals new instrument etc. But it has been frustrating due to taking so long.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4,692 of 12,347
Nice surprise today a courier dropped off a package containing one of my favourite tubes types for the Crack. Six nos Mullard 6080's
tongue_smile.gif
 As a relative newbie to tubes I find  unwrapping a original nos tube is still a bit of a novelty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back