Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #4,697 of 12,347
This amp is not designed for headphones with impedence as low as the AKG Q/K70x.

It can be used with 6SN7 tubes either thriugh modding or use of a tube converter. Use of a converter is less than optimal in my experience as it adds noise to tbe signal.

Cheers

Nathan

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,698 of 12,347
This amp is not designed for headphones with impedence as low as the AKG Q/K70x.

It can be used with 6SN7 tubes either thriugh modding or use of a tube converter. Use of a converter is less than optimal in my experience as it adds noise to tbe signal.

Cheers

Nathan

Thank You!
Did you used a external Power Supply?
Noise is used to be my problem when rolling 6SN7 to my L? MK 3 until i used a DC external power supply and connect the  chassis ground to the external power supply chassis then the noise disapeared the amp is dead queit now i hope this will work with Crack.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,700 of 12,347
  Not knowing much about electronics, other than building computers, would a small computer fan fitted be possible to help cool? 

IMO, a vent is a better solution because fans can often introduce unwanted noise into your listening environment.  That's why you typically don't see fans on home-stereo equipment (although I do have some monstrous fans on my PA amplifiers).

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck with whatever route you choose 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #4,701 of 12,347

Cheers

Nathan

Hi, indeed. The amp has an output impedance of 150 Ohms. I usually listen to my T90 (250 Ohm) on them (have the crack on loan from punit). Today I thought, let's try some low impedance headphones and see what happens. And I am quite surprised.

Next to no noise and pretty clear sounding on a Momentum Over Ear (18 Ohms !!) - duh? I never thought this would work but I actually like the result a lot. Very surprising....

Cheers,
K

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #4,703 of 12,347
That's my old Crack!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Strangely, I have a friend who loves the low impedance TH-900s with the Crack.

Yes, I always share my drugs with my friends
biggrin.gif
. Does your friend have another good amp for the TH-900 comparison ? They do not sound bad with the Crack but when you play the TH900 from a better suited amp (Meier Classic & WA22 in my case) you know what you are missing, especially at higher volumes.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,704 of 12,347
That's my old Crack!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Strangely, I have a friend who loves the low impedance TH-900s with the Crack.

You old Crack says: Hi!

I hope I can convince @punit to sell this beauty to me one day. I tried to distract him with loaning him some of my headphones, let's see if this diverting tactic works out 
atsmile.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #4,706 of 12,347
He has a Soloist, but prefers them with Crack. Maybe he should try my Mainline...

I recently started to prefer the Crack to the Soloist for the T1. The Burson isthe better amp, but the T1 has such great synergy with the Crack. I don't have the speedball either.

I think the Burson is the best all arounder I have heard yet, I have only heard the GSX-2 once and the Taurus once, and I haven't gotten to play with a Cavalli amp much, and haven't heard a Beta22, but I still think the Burson is an excellent amp. I just happen to prefer the Crack for some reason

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #4,707 of 12,347
Need your help, after trying to contact BottleHead with no success I hope you guys can give me an answer.
1) When they send the package of the DIY kit how is the package content described ( what is written on the box)  an Amplifier or Electronical Parts of some sort? ( asking because there is a 32% tax in my country on amps compared to 18 on just electronic...big different in price)
2) What is the size weight of the package?
3) is it possible to bring something like that on a plane with me? or is that to risky, they may  think I am carrying a bomb or something, don't want that hassle.
4) How is the BottleHead support? I already have a lot of concerns about DIY as it is and they don't seem too keen to help me with my questions, its been quite a while since i tried contacting them but got no answer.

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #4,710 of 12,347
Oh that is really cool to see, more of those pics please
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back