Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,546 of 12,335
Hi Dutch good to see you have your Crack up and running, how are you liking it paired with the MF M1? I have been tempted a couple of times now to try one as they come up quiet often used in the UK for reasonable money. I also am a bit envious of your desk I love how big chunky slabs of wood can make great looking furniture.

Jamie

I love the pair! I had an X-Sabre, but felt it was too warm. I think the MF is the best DAC for the money for sure.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,547 of 12,335
As promised...

biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #4,550 of 12,335
I've found noise to be a much more prevalent issue with my various power tubes. Without a doubt, the first thing to try is picking up some cheap mil spec 6080's off ebay. There are almost always some up with buy it now + shipping for less than $10.

I have a fancy power conditioner that I used to use with my crack. When I moved the crack to another room, I found it was still dead quiet with a cheapie surge bar. My guess is that this is only really an issue if you have particularly dirty power.

As a last resort, you could try redoing the input wiring from the rca's to your pot. My braid is really tight, as depicted below. (An older pic, prior to my most recent cap upgrade) My understanding is that this can play a real role in limiting noise. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! 

Ordered two cheap 6080 from ebay to try with, also ordered some new shielded furutech for the interal RCA wiring and will redo the braid, supertight, like yours. 

Cheers 

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,554 of 12,335
The stock tubes sound great with the HD 600/650/800. If they didn't, the Crack wouldn't come with them.

Seriously, my friend and I parked our Cracks side by side and compared them with our HD 800's (we each own pair). His Crack has GEC Brown base and RCA clear top and mine has CBS Hytrons. The amps were too close to call.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,555 of 12,335
I found the 6AS7G/5998 to be more microphonic and pick up more noises. I'm back to using a 6080WB. Seems to pick up less noise. I should have probably got the speedball instead of a quick collection of tubes.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4,556 of 12,335
I found the 6AS7G/5998 to be more microphonic and pick up more noises. I'm back to using a 6080WB. Seems to pick up less noise. I should have probably got the speedball instead of a quick collection of tubes.

It's never too late to add a Speedball! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #4,559 of 12,335
Thanks!

Quote:
5998 should work perfectly with HD800

The stock tubes sound great with the HD 600/650/800. If they didn't, the Crack wouldn't come with them.

Seriously, my friend and I parked our Cracks side by side and compared them with our HD 800's (we each own pair). His Crack has GEC Brown base and RCA clear top and mine has CBS Hytrons. The amps were too close to call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back