Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,561 of 12,347
Aune T1 + SB Crack + HD 600 = Awesome night.

BTW, is it only me that feels Crack doesn't really sound like a tube amp? Maybe due to my Sylvania 6080?

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #4,563 of 12,347
  Aune T1 + SB Crack + HD 600 = Awesome night.

BTW, is it only me that feels Crack doesn't really sound like a tube amp? Maybe due to my Sylvania 6080?

It's definitely not thick and lush, but still smooth like a tube amp. That's its magic I think - balancing smoothness with clarity and speed.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,564 of 12,347
I did little mod today and anchor E80CC for good ,resistor replacement (stock 273omh /new 470omh ) dropped the voltage from 
T1 and T5 
replacing the 237 R1 Try replacing the 237 R1 resistors with 470 Ohm resistors to see if the voltage bumps down between 55 and 85V.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5989.0.html

stock voltage was ;
Terminal 1: 105V
Terminal 5: 106V
P.S. some reported getting around 130V with this tube 

after resistor swap

Terminal 1: 81V
Terminal 5: 84V 

..here is the best part ..new resistors made it sound insane !!

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #4,567 of 12,347
Is that insane in a good way, or insane in a MoatsArt way?

lol ..sounds way better buddy 
biggrin.gif
..hope it stays this way 
Good luck with ECC32..hope it works out for you ..I have some really nice 6SN7s and would be interested 

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,568 of 12,347
  I did little mod today and anchor E80CC for good ,resistor replacement (stock 273omh /new 470omh ) dropped the voltage from 
T1 and T5 
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5989.0.html

stock voltage was ;
Terminal 1: 105V
Terminal 5: 106V
P.S. some reported getting around 130V with this tube 

after resistor swap

Terminal 1: 81V
Terminal 5: 84V 

..here is the best part ..new resistors made it sound insane !!

Great been following this on the bh forum and will pick up a pair of resistors and give it a try

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #4,569 of 12,347
Guys, will power source influence how Crack sound? At where I live now, electric source are generator and solar. These are my result:

Generator> wall socket> extension socket> Crack = Left side definitely weaker than right side.
Generator> wall socket> voltage regulator> extension socket> Crack = Awesome.
Solar> extension socket> Crack = Awesome.

Now I notice sometimes my left headphone kinda weaker, and got low hiss from the amp. The technician who assembled my Crack told me there shouldn't be any hiss at all or unbalanced sound. And the guy who testing this amp before me also confirm me that there's no hiss or unbalance sound.

Now I wondering if the hissing come from my power source? Or some parts/ soldering damaged or loosen while the amp posted to me? Hopefully can try this amp from my friends house next month. Need to bring this heavy ass amp. Phew!

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #4,570 of 12,347

I'm glad you like it ,my best combination is (ECC85/6AQ8/B719 ULTRON-Aune T1) +(5998 and E80CC Amperex)

Now I just wondering if it's worth it I get Modi or stick with my Aune T1. BTW, what music are listening too?

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #4,571 of 12,347
  Now I just wondering if it's worth it I get Modi or stick with my Aune T1. BTW, what music are listening too?

I've heard both (but not compared) and would say the Aune T1 and Modi are of similar quality (although they may have different signatures). Better to wait and go for a larger step in your upgrade if you decide to do so.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #4,572 of 12,347

I've heard both (but not compared) and would say the Aune T1 and Modi are of similar quality (although they may have different signatures). Better to wait and go for a larger step in your upgrade if you decide to do so.

Larger means above $300? Or above of above $300? :D

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4,573 of 12,347
  Larger means above $300? Or above of above $300? :D

I'd say (based only on my experiences) that you'd need to jump to the $500-600 mark to find significant improvements. Something like the Matrix Mini-i Pro, for example, which costs $599.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #4,574 of 12,347
So I got my kit last week, everything was there (so far, I haven't opened the speedball bag yet), and I've had a ball assembling this thing.

So I decided to try things a little differently...

I bought a sheet of 18"x6" 16 gauge copper to make my own top plate, I really wanted the power and signal inputs on the back and the volume and headphone jack on the front.  I thought polished copper would be an interesting look.  That and I threw in brass 80 mesh screen and a bronze washer to accent the vent.  I don't have the tools to put the cooling slots in so I cut a 1.5" hole, lined it with the mesh and covered it with a 1.25" ID, 2" OD bronze thrust washer.  I have some brass strips on the way to use as straps to "hold" the top down.  I thought an old fashioned metal look would be fun.  Of course I'm going to spend a lot of time polishing this thing, it takes fingerprints like you wouldn't believe.

At any rate, assembly went well, about 4 hours of soldering, the resistance checks all went well.  SO I clenched up and plugged it in, no smoke or fire and the voltage checks were all good.  When I plugged it in though there was NO sound.  I traced though everything looking for something loose, then I got the instructions out and started looking them over.  When I tried watching the headphone jack push in and out I realized it was spring loaded and the side of the jack that the inputs go into is actually important.  SInce the jack isn't on the top plate I spun it around so I could access the holes to solder them, and I wired it backwards.  Everything checked normal with the headphone plug out, but as soon as you plugged it in, I lost signal.   Some swearing and about 10 minutes of desoldering and re-soldering and the amp worked beautifully.

I'm very impressed with the kit and the instructions, everything was clear and easy, thankfully there was extra wire, as some of my wire runs were longer than called for in the instructions.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my top plate and wood.  Build a second one?

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #4,575 of 12,347

I'd say (based only on my experiences) that you'd need to jump to the $500-600 mark to find significant improvements. Something like the Matrix Mini-i Pro, for example, which costs $599.

^^ this is what I'm doing now ..was going to upgrade my DAC  recently and was about to pull the trigger on  NuForce Icon HDP or Bifrost uber but decided to wait for more noticeable upgrade ,the one Loquah mention is good example
Modi/Aune T1 sounds pretty similar -advantage Aune T1 since you can roll different tubes for desire sound sig.,and use modi only if I want to use only two tubes-> Crack or DV
music ;Jazz ,Dubstep ,Rock,heavy metal,electronic 
I know you like "headbanging" flavor and enjoy the stock tube Aune come with since it's pretty good fit for what you listening to ,try Sylvania / RCA 6BK7B on Aune and TS 7236+Tesla 802S or 6SN7GT on Crack (I will be listing a bunch of tubes in few days in Classified section ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back