Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #4,531 of 12,335
Never tried the ones you mentioning but getting higher end Dac does make the difference. Arcam irDac and Matrix X-Sabre are the most noticeable among those i have tried

little to big and to salty ,if I was going to spend "G"note on a DAC it would probably be Burson Soloist tho ,Thanks 

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4,533 of 12,335
Anyone ever compare Asgard 2 vs Crack/ +SB for Senn HD 600?

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,534 of 12,335
I finally painted my top plate. Taped it all off and just went for it. Got to be one of the ugliest Cracks I've seen. Hammered British Racing Green with a deep mahogany base. I was using a slightly too big brush as well so it's an absolute ****show. I'll get some pics up for you guys when it's dried. Worth a chuckle. Already picked out the repaint colour, a pale copper. If that doesn't look any better I'm just going to spray the whole bloody thing matte black, base and all.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,535 of 12,335
I finally painted my top plate. Taped it all off and just went for it. Got to be one of the ugliest Cracks I've seen. Hammered British Racing Green with a deep mahogany base. I was using a slightly too big brush as well so it's an absolute ****show. I'll get some pics up for you guys when it's dried. Worth a chuckle. Already picked out the repaint colour, a pale copper. If that doesn't look any better I'm just going to spray the whole bloody thing matte black, base and all.

try one of this (if you want to cover it -spraying won't work ,you need sponge brush /thick cover/tap out technique 
https://www.google.com/search?q=sponge+brush&rlz=1C1ASUC_enUS564US564&espv=2&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yU5AU6_kBcbgsASh7oLwCg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

quick look at my motherboard covered with liquid tape /sponge brush 
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/4084/qrbu.jpg

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,537 of 12,335
  Thanks, bud. I'll get down to the hardware store tomorrow and sort my life out. Good news is that it still sounds like a dream so not a complete downer.

But please still show us what it looks like in its current state.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #4,538 of 12,335
try one of this (if you want to cover it -spraying won't work ,you need sponge brush /thick cover/tap out technique 
https://www.google.com/search?q=sponge+brush&rlz=1C1ASUC_enUS564US564&espv=2&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yU5AU6_kBcbgsASh7oLwCg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

quick look at my motherboard covered with liquid tape /sponge brush 
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/4084/qrbu.jpg

Ha wow, I had no idea people painted their motherboards.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #4,539 of 12,335
A neat trick which can give a perfect paint finish on a top plate prior to building if you don't want to spray would be to clean and prep your plate as normal set your top plate up perfectly flat and level but slightly raised off what ever surface its on with plenty of old news paper underneath Its best to use a two part two part polyurethane an epoxy paint.  Pour the mixed paint over the plate and with a little gentle tilting encouragement it will flow out nicely and look perfect use a small cooking blow torch to super heat the air over any bubbles so they pop (not aimed directly at the paint) a single fine brush bristle will also do. I used this method to apply the clear finish to my plate and it worked really well doing a colour would be no different. For the pour I set my plate up level on and old electric oil filled radiator which was used to heat up the plate and speed up cure.

After a light compound and a polish

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,541 of 12,335

My crack, stained ebony with black paint. The stain was too light, the paint too dark, so I mixed them, then lacquered it. I like it. It matches my other gear well. It also matches my desk well, which is cut straight from the side of a tree

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,542 of 12,335
  A neat trick which can give a perfect paint finish on a top plate prior to building if you don't want to spray would be to clean and prep your plate as normal set your top plate up perfectly flat and level but slightly raised off what ever surface its on with plenty of old news paper underneath Its best to use a two part two part polyurethane an epoxy paint.  Pour the mixed paint over the plate and with a little gentle tilting encouragement it will flow out nicely and look perfect use a small cooking blow torch to super heat the air over any bubbles so they pop (not aimed directly at the paint) a single fine brush bristle will also do. I used this method to apply the clear finish to my plate and it worked really well doing a colour would be no different. For the pour I set my plate up level on and old electric oil filled radiator which was used to heat up the plate and speed up cure.

After a light compound and a polish

I use "Dragon Skin" which is self-leveling ,they use this in special effects (fake wounds or masks) it's very temperature/moisture  resistant (this mobo have layer of about  1/8" )
and can take -300c under LN2

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #4,543 of 12,335
spacequeen, you have saved me from despair. I got down to the shop this morning, got a sponge brush and a finer artist's brush and gave the whole thing a liberal coat. Due to the hammered paint texturing, which I quite like anyway, you can't tell that the first coat was an absolute hatchet job. I still don't quite know why I went with this bizarre colour scheme, it now looks like some WW2 detonator device but nevertheless, the finish is salvaged and the colour scheme has a certain daft charm. Photos to follow!

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #4,545 of 12,335
My crack, stained ebony with black paint. The stain was too light, the paint too dark, so I mixed them, then lacquered it. I like it. It matches my other gear well. It also matches my desk well, which is cut straight from the side of a tree

Hi Dutch good to see you have your Crack up and running, how are you liking it paired with the MF M1? I have been tempted a couple of times now to try one as they come up quiet often used in the UK for reasonable money. I also am a bit envious of your desk I love how big chunky slabs of wood can make great looking furniture.

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back