Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,296 of 12,335
  ...it's like listening to Crack for the first time ,but better ....loving my new Quickie 
L3000.gif

the detail ,sparkle and soundstage  are amazing and that's on stock tubes (2x Mullard waiting ),very happy with this 

Wow.  Those are some amazing bases!  

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5,297 of 12,335
Yay! And kudos on getting champing right... Most people use chomping, and do so incorrectly.

I am champing at the bit in joy that you didn't say kudus.

The havoc is not quite over. We will be doing some maintenance on the site this evening. Nothing too serious, just a 10K mile service.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #5,298 of 12,335
  I had zero noise floor with Crack - HD 800 pairing. Can you try using a diff source / tube and check.Also I had a tube which initially had noise but it went away after some burn in.

I used the Bifrost Uber with the Crack/HD 800. No noise at all. This is my office set-up. Sounding great. Thanks for the advice.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #5,299 of 12,335
I will also add my amp runs silent and as I had never soldered prior and considering a poor solder connection one of the prime suspects for this. I'm firmly of the opinion that the cardas eutectic solder I used was beneficial in achieving better solder joints than I might have been able to with the standard 60/40 with my first build. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,302 of 12,335
  Hi i'am about to order the Crack and my question is,Does the Speedball make a big defference in sound? I will be using the Crack to drive my Q701 and DT880 600 ohms.Thank You! 

I don't have the Speedball so I can't answer that question but...isn't the Q701 going to be a big impedance mismatch?

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #5,307 of 12,335
  What is the next important upgrade for the Crack?
I would like to order them now while i'am waiting for the Crack and SB.Thanks!

A nice potentiometer or attenuator makes a big difference. Other than that, it'd be better caps and connectors (RCAs and HP jack)

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #5,309 of 12,335

A nice potentiometer or attenuator makes a big difference. Other than that, it'd be better caps and connectors (RCAs and HP jack)

Yeah I would agree that upgrading the attenuator would probably be the most rewarding upgrade after the Speedball. In order to address that we are working on the idea of using a Submissive passive attenuator ahead of the Crack and replacing the stock pot in the Crack with an adjustable crossfeed circuit that can be defeated for those who don't want it in the signal path. We found that designing our own attenuator gave us the best results vs. using other available high end attenuators, and the best sounding stepped attenuators tend to be bigger than the Crack chassis can accomodate. So the Submissive in its own chassis that matches the Crack chassis may have some appeal to those who have the space for a second chassis in their setup.

We will be running some tests on a crossfeed circuit in the next few weeks.

Oh, and thanks for the order!

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,310 of 12,335
  Yeah I would agree that upgrading the attenuator would probably be the most rewarding upgrade after the Speedball. In order to address that we are working on the idea of using a Submissive passive attenuator ahead of the Crack and replacing the stock pot in the Crack with an adjustable crossfeed circuit that can be defeated for those who don't want it in the signal path. We found that designing our own attenuator gave us the best results vs. using other available high end attenuators, and the best sounding stepped attenuators tend to be bigger than the Crack chassis can accomodate. So the Submissive in its own chassis that matches the Crack chassis may have some appeal to those who have the space for a second chassis in their setup.

We will be running some tests on a crossfeed circuit in the next few weeks.

Oh, and thanks for the order!

I'am interested on that keep us updated i can't wait for my KIT.Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back