Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 22, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,187 of 2,974
Some more random observations and comments after a few days of P1 ownership...

Good:
Superb SQ as demonstrated by direct comparison with my DX90 - wider sound stage, more bass slam (I'm not a bass head and I haven't applied any EQ settings on the P1, it just sounds fuller and deeper), clearer treble and more detail.
Love the UI.

Bad:
Have experienced a couple of skips in playback when the P1 display auto-rotates to its cover-flow view (doesn't happen every time). I'll probably just switch this off. Incidentally does anyone know what order the albums are shown in?
Still mystified by my tagging problems as documented previously. A friend has an older Cowon so I will pass him one of the offending files to compare, failing that I will contact Cowon for advice (HW issue maybe??).
Charging time and battery life could be better but not a big deal for me.

Wishlist for future FW upgrades:
An option to view by album artist.
An option to change the text scolling direction to L to R instead of back and forth (and also to stop back and forth scrolling when the text is short enough to be seen in its entirety)

Some interesting observations. I've not experienced any skipping myself when coverflow rotates. Something to watch out for though. The default album order seems to be simply in alphabetical order.
Flexibility on text scrolling would be good. I'd also like it if they got rid of brackets around titles in some of the list views. Some titles may have brackets in already and double bracketing is annoying.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,189 of 2,974
  I updated a few days ago and all seems to be running well. As I mentioned earlier the only problem I'm having is with the database. The tagging is presenting problems with the way the P1 indexes some of the files. Planning on contacting Cowen to report the issue and see what I should do to correct the problem. 

Hi Jester

I too am having some indexing problems, with around 10 artist tags being mangled by the P1.  It only seems to happen where there are multiple artist tags for a track, but it doesn't happen in all such cases. All the tags which the P1 is displaying incorrectly show up perfectly on my iBasso DX90.  Also on the P1 I have a couple of albums where each track is duplicated (track 1 twice, then track 2 twice etc.).

Are your problems in any way similar to mine and if so did you contact/get a response from Cowon?

Kind regards
David

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #1,190 of 2,974
I am the same as you but I have to love the look of the player. I just bought the AK240ss and might change the case but otherwise love it. But yesterday I went to my shop and eliminated ZX2, AR-M2 and L5 on look and feel alone, without listening (the presence of my 18 month boy made it impossible anyways). The ZX2 is not to my taste but well build, the L5 is clumsily designed IMO, and the AR-M2 is just plain ugly and badly finished.

I love the P1 finish, especially with the upgraded leather case.

Again i agree with all Mim but the SS, that I wouldn't spend money on, i think the 1st version actually looks much better and it's lighter,
The zx i just had to try after reviews saying its better sound to ak:)
L5 sound is stellar,but yes its not a beauty:)
The AR i thought exactly that, not impressed,waste of time:)

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #1,191 of 2,974
a question so with the sound enhancements in the p1 and the equalizer, can that be better for bass lovers than the calyx m

I tried the eq in fiio x5 and it was very bad implemented

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,192 of 2,974
New Plenue 1 owner here, wondering if anyone has had any luck figuring out their issues with the LED, or if there's a way to contact Cowon about it? Mine is functioning similarly to what some others in this thread have said: while charging, it's solid red/green as expected, and if playing while the screen is asleep, it flashes blue, but it's not solid blue at any other time. I honestly can't even tell if that's how it's supposed to work or not, but it seems unlikely.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,193 of 2,974
  New Plenue 1 owner here, wondering if anyone has had any luck figuring out their issues with the LED, or if there's a way to contact Cowon about it? Mine is functioning similarly to what some others in this thread have said: while charging, it's solid red/green as expected, and if playing while the screen is asleep, it flashes blue, but it's not solid blue at any other time. I honestly can't even tell if that's how it's supposed to work or not, but it seems unlikely.

Yup, that's how it's supposed to work. You can turn off the blue flashing during screen-off playback in the settings menu.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,194 of 2,974
  Yup, that's how it's supposed to work. You can turn off the blue flashing during screen-off playback in the settings menu.

Whew, glad there's nothing wrong. That's a really odd design, though; the blue looks cool, but never actually stays on?

Also saw a post here earlier claiming that holding the Power button continually would cause it to stay on, but that doesn't seem to work with mine.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,195 of 2,974
  Whew, glad there's nothing wrong. That's a really odd design, though; the blue looks cool, but never actually stays on?

Also saw a post here earlier claiming that holding the Power button continually would cause it to stay on, but that doesn't seem to work with mine.

Huh, didn't see that post but when I hold the power button continually, my P1 turns off...

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,196 of 2,974
Refinement to an earlier post in which I said my P1 gets very warm during charging.

At the time I was charging whilst using the P1.  I have since found that the P1 gets warm during playback, then cools, then gets warm again etc.

It seems to remain cool when charging only.

Any others had this?

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,197 of 2,974
Refinement to an earlier post in which I said my P1 gets very warm during charging.

At the time I was charging whilst using the P1.  I have since found that the P1 gets warm during playback, then cools, then gets warm again etc.

It seems to remain cool when charging only.

Any others had this?

Mine gets warm too during playback....i believe its normal...or not?? But it dosent bothers me...it juz get warm..bearable ...not hot. .

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,198 of 2,974
Mine gets warm too during playback....i believe its normal...or not?? But it dosent bothers me...it juz get warm..bearable ...not hot. .

I,myself,  get warm during playback, as mine sounds very good.  
biggrin.gif
  I think it has a wonderful combination of features:  very good sound in a single unit, great storage capacity,very good file-format compatibility including DSD,  very good battery life, easy GUI since it is just for music playback.......   Not perfect, but very good- seems like it should get more love for what it can do.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,199 of 2,974
For all of you lucky P1 owners - would you mind providing me with a little help on M3U playlist support........  I've had Cowon products in the past and managed to get M3U playlists working but I've looked around I can't seem to find a definitive answer for the P1.  Any help or advice would be most welcome.  If someone wouldn't mind trying it out on theirs I'd be most grateful!
Thank you.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,200 of 2,974
I've been enjoying my P1 for the last week or so and I feel like it's going to be my go-to, 'every day carry', great sounding pmp.  It's a great combination of sonics, battery life, capacity,and ease of use for me...   That said, I am now on the hunt for great iems to partner with it.  I am going to limit the quest to the following (I have my reasons, although I may not be able to say what they are- just go with it, OK?!)....

Westone W60s (I have 40s, and these would be an upgrade.

Shure 846 (I listen from the bottom up, but a not a bass-head.

Noble K10 (probably the universals, but my consider the customs--Axpona's coming soon)  I like my N6's very much

One of the JH girls- Angie, Roxanne, Layla (probably the universal version of whichever one, but may consider a custom if the recommendation is decisive in its favor).

Probably going to thin the heard given a purchase of one of the above, I have and like Ditas, Kaedes, N6s, W40s the JVC 100s and 200s.  

Help spend my money wisely....  And, hurry, I have an utter and complete lack of patience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back