Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,201 of 2,974
  I've been enjoying my P1 for the last week or so and I feel like it's going to be my go-to, 'every day carry', great sounding pmp.  It's a great combination of sonics, battery life, capacity,and ease of use for me...   That said, I am now on the hunt for great iems to partner with it.  I am going to limit the quest to the following (I have my reasons, although I may not be able to say what they are- just go with it, OK?!)....

Westone W60s (I have 40s, and these would be an upgrade.

Shure 846 (I listen from the bottom up, but a not a bass-head.

Noble K10 (probably the universals, but my consider the customs--Axpona's coming soon)  I like my N6's very much

One of the JH girls- Angie, Roxanne, Layla (probably the universal version of whichever one, but may consider a custom if the recommendation is decisive in its favor).

Probably going to thin the heard given a purchase of one of the above, I have and like Ditas, Kaedes, N6s, W40s the JVC 100s and 200s.  

Help spend my money wisely....  And, hurry, I have an utter and complete lack of patience

From everything I've heard, the K10 is the best bet along with the Layla. The K10 reviews have been nothing but breathless, which has my attention. I currently love my Earwerkz Legend R with the P1, but want to try a silver cable as the warmth of the P1 is a bit much with Legend R with a Estron Linum Bax cable. I'd be very interested in trying a K10 at some point in the near future to see how it pairs with the P1.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,202 of 2,974
Heads up guys, new production firmware v 2.10 out for the Plenue P1 out:

http://cowonglobal.com/

The release notes are pretty thin:

EDITNew features
- Using Japanese and Chinese languages is possible(Search, Favorite menu).

- Showing a previously set PLENUE image on the screen when a song without Album Art is played.

Btw, noticed that there was another firmware release in March that officially rolled out the USB DAC function.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,204 of 2,974
Just discovered this thread. YouTube video--unit looks beautiful, responsive, well made.
How do you all chose between the Cowen and the Sony Z2???

I previously owned a ZX-1 and was unimpressed. I found it very thin and bright sounding, and the background had a noticeable hiss with all IEMs I tried and was obviously worse with some of my more sensitive (and favorite) models. I actually found the Galaxy Note 3 I was using as a phone sounded better using the PowerAMP player app. Since Sony refuses to release a decent set of specs letting me know exactly how the new ZX2 measured, I wasn't interested in spending that kind of money again without a detailed review with their own measurements, specifically in regards to SNR and output impedance. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of their implementation of Android. I'm an Android user on my phone and love it as an OS, but I prefer a purpose-built OS for a DAP.

With that said, I've heard the new ZX2 sounds a lot better than its predecessor, and I'd be interested in hearing it, but I certainly won't buy another Sony product without testing it myself first.

In my mind, there are two reasons why one would choose the Sony: battery life and streaming apps like Tidal. The Plenue P1 can't really compete on either front, although battery life is about average for a high-end DAP.

I opted to forego waiting for the Sony after some early reports that there was STILL a bit of background hiss, meanwhile the Cowon has a measured SNR of close to 120 dB which is a very black and noise-free background, and a fantastic mark for a portable DAP. Also, the SQ out of the Plenue is fantastic. It's a bit on the warm side, but instruments have an incredible lifelike timbre and the sound is dynamic and highly detailed compared to the AK120 I was using previously (and replaced the ZX1).

Again, take this as a grain of salt from a disgruntled former ZX1 owner, but I find the P1 to be a delight to use and listen to. The UI is incredibly easy to use and is smooth and full-featured, and with the addition of the USB DAC functionality in the latest firmware updates, I really have no complaints on a functionality front.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,205 of 2,974
Spamatuer,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply!
What is the usb Dac upgrade that you mention?
I would be using the dap with IEMs so background noise is definitely an issue.
On other hand, as you mention, the Sony ZX2 is getting rave reviews.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,206 of 2,974
Spamatuer,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply!
What is the usb Dac upgrade that you mention?
I would be using the dap with IEMs so background noise is definitely an issue.
On other hand, as you mention, the Sony ZX2 is getting rave reviews.

Yup, the ZX2 is definitely getting great reviews, so I'd be interested in trying it myself, but I definitely won't take a chance on another Sony device until I've heard it in person.

The USB DAC functionality means you can use it as a DAC connected via USB to your computer. For example, at work I can connect it to my work Mac and use it as the audio output instead of the headphone jack on the computer. The Mac has a really high noisefloor so the P1 as a USB DAC sounds significantly better, and I can stream Tidal using my Mac and output it through the P1.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,207 of 2,974
I've been enjoying my P1 for the last week or so and I feel like it's going to be my go-to, 'every day carry', great sounding pmp.  It's a great combination of sonics, battery life, capacity,and ease of use for me...   That said, I am now on the hunt for great iems to partner with it.  I am going to limit the quest to the following (I have my reasons, although I may not be able to say what they are- just go with it, OK?!)....

Westone W60s (I have 40s, and these would be an upgrade.

Shure 846 (I listen from the bottom up, but a not a bass-head.

Noble K10 (probably the universals, but my consider the customs--Axpona's coming soon)  I like my N6's very much

One of the JH girls- Angie, Roxanne, Layla (probably the universal version of whichever one, but may consider a custom if the recommendation is decisive in its favor).

Probably going to thin the heard given a purchase of one of the above, I have and like Ditas, Kaedes, N6s, W40s the JVC 100s and 200s.  

Help spend my money wisely....  And, hurry, I have an utter and complete lack of patience

If within those budget i would add togo334 to the list as well, it pretty amazing with p1

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #1,213 of 2,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back