Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 21, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,173 of 2,974
which has more warmth and more low end bass impact, and is more analogue sounding

1- ak240
2- calyx m
3- cowon p1

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #1,174 of 2,974
which has more warmth and more low end bass impact, and is more analogue sounding

1- ak240
2- calyx m
3- cowon p1

It doesn't matter.the differences are minuscule

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,176 of 2,974
not true on these aspects. Calyx has more low end I would say, then P1. And both Calyx and p1 have more analog sound than AK240. I own P1 and 240 and they have significantly different signatures.

I agree Mim yet i find it harder and harder to justify my endless dap purchases based on SQ.theres not much in it really.all good yet Paw,P1,240,Calyx not enough,i am getting zx2 now:weary::smiley:

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,177 of 2,974
And just to clarify this "analogue" word we all use all the time.
None of these players actually sounds analogue,
Its just a warmer sound signature that is still digitally detailed at best but has none of the freq extension or depth,3d and real like voicing etc as my Sony DD9 Walkman

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,178 of 2,974
I agree Mim yet i find it harder and harder to justify my endless dap purchases based on SQ.theres not much in it really.all good yet Paw,P1,240,Calyx not enough,i am getting zx2 now:weary::smiley:

can u tell me why u want to consider buying the zx2 now, do u own the p1, 240 and calyx

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,179 of 2,974
can u tell me why u want to consider buying the zx2 now, do u own the p1, 240 and calyx

I am not considering it,it is in the post from japan and ill prob get it by tues:)
I am a seriously spoilt person, i have had the pleasure of owning all of the top daps and to me its not a matter of life and death which one to keep because it isnt gonna stay for long. all these daps are far from perfect, not the way DD9 walkman was a top of the evolution tree as far as cassettes are concerned.it is perfect, still plays beautifully after many many years and better music than any digital player out there.

Now i have my hopes that despite the fact that digital is second generation format and even big systems don't usually sound as good as great analogue sources, portable daps will be producing a more real and exciting and alive sound one day, not the flat,super detailed dynamically impotent sound reproduction you get from a £2000 modern day dacs. So, however beautiful ak240 or Hugo or ZX2 might be externally,they are like buying a £2000 shiny Sony Vaio that will be full of crap and viruses as soon as you start it.
Thats just how things are to me and my view.
Therefore i just keep trying the next thing knowing full well that neither zx2 or zx3 or whatever are gonna be the massive step forward that we all want.

On the other hand i just love new shiny toys and just can't stop myself:)))

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,180 of 2,974
I am the same as you but I have to love the look of the player. I just bought the AK240ss and might change the case but otherwise love it. But yesterday I went to my shop and eliminated ZX2, AR-M2 and L5 on look and feel alone, without listening (the presence of my 18 month boy made it impossible anyways). The ZX2 is not to my taste but well build, the L5 is clumsily designed IMO, and the AR-M2 is just plain ugly and badly finished.

I love the P1 finish, especially with the upgraded leather case.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,183 of 2,974
The 240 is slightly thinner sounding, maybe more detailed, the P1 is more analog sounding and slightly fuller. Both great players depending on your tastes, iem and wallet.

If the P1 is more analogue sounding, would you say that the P1 is better-sounding than the AK240? I assume the goal of any digital player is to sound as analogue as possible.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,184 of 2,974

If the P1 is more analogue sounding, would you say that the P1 is better-sounding than the AK240? I assume the goal of any digital player is to sound as analogue as possible.

Nope, because the AK240 has a special texture that I like. Both comparably good, two slightly different approaches.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,185 of 2,974

For me, based on the store demo, according to your priority will be:
Calyx M > Cowon P1 > AK240

i thought that the p1 is more analogue or warm, so which has a thicker sound signature the calyx or p1

i wonder how the p1 compares to fiio x5 as i owned the fiio x5 before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back