Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 4, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,141 of 2,974
The USB dac quality is it nice ?  Sound quality same when used as DAP ?

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,142 of 2,974
It is good and retains that analog sound quality. It is slightly little different, can't really put it into words.  The sound quality cannot be exactly the same unless the same pcm processing code is used in your computer's player vs the P1's processor.  Unless comparing code line by line on both systems, one doesn't know what really is going on - stuff like normalization, volume controls, plus passing it through ASIO4All can all affect the sound. The only way to make sure is check the data signal right before it gets to the dac chip to see if it is bit perfect from the original file. The only difference to me is that the USB DAC function seems to be little louder than the player's volume.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,144 of 2,974
The P1 and using the HA-2 as an analog amp makes a wonderful combo. Also is you are into bass, the double effect of machbass and HA-2 bass+ makes for some of the deepest bass that is euphoric in both quality and quantity. This is with the HD650 cans but has worked on other quality cans as well.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,145 of 2,974
One thing I love about the update is I can now delete folders on the fly.
I love this as I play albums in folders then delete and top up the free space once a week say.
Also allows you to delete folders on the sd card.
Well done Cowon.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,150 of 2,974
I'm using Audio-gd NFB6 with P1's line-out via RCA to RCA using the 3.5mm adapter from Audioquest. For me, I prefer it to  ak120ii line-out that I used to test at a shop.

With Audeze LCD2 Fazor plus a balanced connector cable, I cannot distinguish between using NFB28 and this combo in term of sound quality. However, the sound characteristics from different DAC chips are still there. So it depends on your preference.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,151 of 2,974
  I think someone has already said this, and I'd like to state my agreement - JH Roxanne sounds great with the P1 to me. Lovely, clean, open, big sound.

Im using the exact setup n im seriously considering to go custom roxy....its juz how much i loved the sound of the Roxanne with the P1...with bass setting at 2 o' clock...volume at around 110 to 120.. N i feel the Maestro effects sounded best for most genres!

Owners of P1...if u do played around with the EQ settings...n found a sweet spot...mind sharing the setting for the respective frequencies?

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,153 of 2,974
I have been using the P1 for 2 days now (not long by any means) but I haven't got any of the issues that you have mentioned. I have used most of the iBasso DAPs in the past and also the ak120, and all I can say is the UI alone on the P1 will bring me back to it any day. It is just so much more refined and smooth. Picking a song from ak120 in a folder of 800 is near impossible but it's doable on the p1.

I have used rwak120, dx100 in the past but I don't think I'm experienced enough to judge the sonic capabilities but ultimately the form factor and UI made be a very happy p1 owner.

The UI is what made me choose the P1. I also have the dx100 but its interface is so slow and it chokes on a 1000 files. I have 7000 files on the P1 and the UI has no issues what so ever - still extremely fast. I also own the old S9 and it was the same, it handled a large number of files without any issues. I am still amazed at the battery life of the S9. I only use it now and then and end up charging the battery once ever few months :).

One thing I wish the P1 had is a dedicated line out. The DX100's line out is to die for. It sounds stunning on a high end home system.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,154 of 2,974
Hello to all head-fi-ers.  I am a newbie and would just like to post a couple of comments/questions regarding the Cowon P1, which I have now owned for one day.

I don't really regard myself as an audiophile, or perhaps just enough of one to become disillusioned with the sound quality from my iPod touch (and the total faff which is iTunes) so about a year ago I started to look for alternatives.  This opened up a whole new world to me (all you guys basically) and after plenty of soul-and-wallet-searching I took the plunge and bought an iBasso DX90 and a pair of PSB M4U1s (didn't fancy the noise-cancelling version as I thought it might interfere with the sound).  I've been very impressed with this combination, especially for the small outlay compared to the price of some rigs out there.  However the search for perfection can be pretty addictive and after speaking to a colleague who has owned Cowon players, quite a bit of research and more wallet plundering I have now become the owner of a P1.  Last night on unpacking it I took the micro SD card out of my DX90, put it straight into the P1 and spent the next 3 hours listening to it.  I'm finding it a step up from DX90 even with the PSBs, which leads me to my first question:

I am looking at upgrading my headphones and have started to read a lot about planar magnetics, and especially the Audeze range.  Closed back would be essential for me so I was until recently resigned to saving my pennies for a pair of LCD-XCs, but then discovered the EL8s which are apparently also available in closed back.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of pairing Audezes, or planar magnetics generally, with the P1, and if so whether they will work effectively without the need for a separate amp?

My other comment/question relates to the library indexing on the P1, which someone mentioned previously on this thread as being problematic.  I have found that a handful of the 200-300 artists in my library do not show up correctly on the P1, which they did on the DX90.  As an example, 'Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe' is displayed as 'Freddie Mercurylle'.  Could it be that the P1 is just less forgiving of iffy tags and I have some work to do, or have others found this to be a problem which might indicate a FW bug?  If it's my tags which are at fault, they might have lain undiscovered on the DX90 as I grouped artists as album artists (I was using Rockbox).  Incidentally does anyone know of a way to show album artists on the P1?  I have not found one - yet.

Overall though I have to say that the P1 is a lovely device and although it's still very early days I am extremely pleased with it.

Kind regards
David

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,155 of 2,974
  Hello to all head-fi-ers.  I am a newbie and would just like to post a couple of comments/questions regarding the Cowon P1, which I have now owned for one day.

I don't really regard myself as an audiophile, or perhaps just enough of one to become disillusioned with the sound quality from my iPod touch (and the total faff which is iTunes) so about a year ago I started to look for alternatives.  This opened up a whole new world to me (all you guys basically) and after plenty of soul-and-wallet-searching I took the plunge and bought an iBasso DX90 and a pair of PSB M4U1s (didn't fancy the noise-cancelling version as I thought it might interfere with the sound).  I've been very impressed with this combination, especially for the small outlay compared to the price of some rigs out there.  However the search for perfection can be pretty addictive and after speaking to a colleague who has owned Cowon players, quite a bit of research and more wallet plundering I have now become the owner of a P1.  Last night on unpacking it I took the micro SD card out of my DX90, put it straight into the P1 and spent the next 3 hours listening to it.  I'm finding it a step up from DX90 even with the PSBs, which leads me to my first question:

I am looking at upgrading my headphones and have started to read a lot about planar magnetics, and especially the Audeze range.  Closed back would be essential for me so I was until recently resigned to saving my pennies for a pair of LCD-XCs, but then discovered the EL8s which are apparently also available in closed back.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of pairing Audezes, or planar magnetics generally, with the P1, and if so whether they will work effectively without the need for a separate amp?

My other comment/question relates to the library indexing on the P1, which someone mentioned previously on this thread as being problematic.  I have found that a handful of the 200-300 artists in my library do not show up correctly on the P1, which they did on the DX90.  As an example, 'Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe' is displayed as 'Freddie Mercurylle'.  Could it be that the P1 is just less forgiving of iffy tags and I have some work to do, or have others found this to be a problem which might indicate a FW bug?  If it's my tags which are at fault, they might have lain undiscovered on the DX90 as I grouped artists as album artists (I was using Rockbox).  Incidentally does anyone know of a way to show album artists on the P1?  I have not found one - yet.

Overall though I have to say that the P1 is a lovely device and although it's still very early days I am extremely pleased with it.

Kind regards
David

I should have the closed-back Audeze EL-8 in-hand sometime later this week. I'll let you know how well the P1 pushes it. I don't anticipate it having many problems as it's very efficient and sensitive. I have yet to try my beloved LCD-X off the P1 as it never leaves the house, but from everything I've heard it wouldn't have any problem with the pairing. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home from work, but my headphone amp volume is set very low when pushing the LCD-X, leading me to believe that the P1 would be just fine with it.

I've never had problems with the indexing. I've found it to be true to my tagging and a lot less sensitive than the AK120 was. I did find that I had to clean up some tags and basically deleted anything that wasn't essential (track number, title, album, artist, etc) and it seems to work flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back