Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,216 of 2,974
guys a question about the eq in cowon p1

so what i understood so far from comarisons between p1 and calyx m is that calyx m has more warmish sound bit no eq so i am stuck with only one sound signature,  while the p1 on the other hand has a good eq so my question can u achieve a similar sound signature of the calyx m playing with the p1 eq

i like always to have handy a good eq as sometimes albums demand some equing

please share your thoughts as i am totally confused which to buy

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,217 of 2,974
Hello, I research Iem, Ciem which match perfectly with the P1. Can you help me. Budget: 1000e approximately. If exist ciem/Iem very good less expensive, it's good for me :wink:

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,218 of 2,974
Anyone a cowan D3 owner and can say a few words about the two? Something more than dramatic or night & day? :D Btw, I should mention I use my D3 exclusively with my FiiO E17 as an external DAC & amp via S/PDIF feed. I'm very happy with it but would love to have a HD dap.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,219 of 2,974
Does anyone else get some delay when using their P1 as a usb dac? When watching a movie, I had to set audio to roughly +350ms in order to get the video and audio to sync up properly. Wondering if it's just me, or if there's something I'm supposed to do that I missed.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,220 of 2,974
I just ordered a set of CE6Ps from Cosmic Ears to go with my P1.
I was lucky enough to test some at the Cosmic Ears factory, and in my opinion they sound absolutely fantastic with the P1!

As soon as I take delivery of them in about a week I intend to give much more detailed in depth review.
But I highly recommend checking them out.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,221 of 2,974
it would really nice if someone can write up how the cowon dsp and eq affects music as i know many are against eq but for me eq is a must in a dap, and if that eq affect can be compared ot the eq affect of ak240 for example. Or are those eq and dsps a gimmic, and totally deteriorate sound

its been so quiet here in this thread

also many claim that soundwise the calyx m wins hands down , so what are your thoughts on such a comaprison

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,222 of 2,974
it would really nice if someone can write up how the cowon dsp and eq affects music as i know many are against eq but for me eq is a must in a dap, and if that eq affect can be compared ot the eq affect of ak240 for example. Or are those eq and dsps a gimmic, and totally deteriorate sound

its been so quiet here in this thread

also many claim that soundwise the calyx m wins hands down , so what are your thoughts on such a comaprison

i don't have that dap but as far as equalizers go ... Sony and Cowon are the kings out there ... other players may have better sound quality (subjectively) 

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,223 of 2,974
The calyx m sound warm and bit darkish, less analytical than the p1, with the right pairing it sound very musical, consider the size, battery life, features, the p1 wins, if you have to have eq, the p1 has end less setting with combination of the bbe. P1 also handles tag better.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,224 of 2,974
Apr 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,225 of 2,974
First Head-Fi post here, I've been browsing a while but after finally getting my setup I wanted to post in this thread :)

I've had the Shure SE846 for a few months and was just using an iPod 5th Generation to drive them with Qobuz loss-less streaming. Even with just an iPod the experience of the SE846 was amazing (I've gone from Sennheiser IE80 --> Sennheiser Momentum --> Shure SE846) but I found the treble quite aggressive and stark when turning the volume up, I do listen to a fair bit of electro which naturally has sharp treble 'cracks' so this might be more particular to my listening habits (also listen to alternative indie and jazz).

Although I was blown away by my new IEMs I didn't feel the sound was perfect just yet, I could hear the improvements I was personally searching for so I started looking for the right source to pair them with. I was very lucky with a local store in Paris (I'm English expat) that actually stocked the AK100ii and the Cowon Plenue 1 where i could go and try them out...

Wowzers, and I mean OH MY [insert appropriate word(s) here] WOW!

I was expecting an increase in SQ from sources that cost €1000 and from what I've read on these forums, but i was expecting a "subtle" change as had seemed to be described. Well the change was anything but subtle, it was night and day. Then we come to the signature, this for me is what separated the AK and the Cowon P1 for me, I've heard the Cowon described as "false analogue" but the person using that term didn't really know if it was a good or a bad thing. Well for my particular situation it was beyond perfect (yeah that's not possible but that's enthusiasm for you!), the sound-stage and separation are fantastic in both but the "false analogue" signature entirely eradicated the harshness of the treble for me without loosing any of the detail, yes there's a touch of warmness to it but the smoothness is sublime.

So if you like electro and own a pair of SE846 then I give my thumbs up to the P1!

Also!

Yes I have a delay when using the USB DAC in the new firmware, its great for listening to music but terrible for TV or games due to sound delay, I've tried all the different connections - direct/hub 2.0/3.0.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,227 of 2,974

Yes I have a delay when using the USB DAC in the new firmware, its great for listening to music but terrible for TV or games due to sound delay, I've tried all the different connections - direct/hub 2.0/3.0.

Ah okay so it's not just me. That's good to know ... I think? Maybe I'll have to get an O2/ODAC combo for gaming purposes, then. Or maybe they'll fix the delay at some point?

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,228 of 2,974
Apr 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,229 of 2,974
I recently compared the two DAPs (A&K 120 Titan and Cowon Pleanue P1) and two DACs (Sony PHA-2 and PHA- 3) that I have, to determine the configuration with the best sound. For the series of tests, I used my Shure SE 846 IEM and Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 IEM replacement cable. I compared several 24 bit song files, including Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Frank Sinatra, George Gershwin, Aretha Franklin, The Allman Brothers, Bad Company, Tom Petty, Nat King Cole, Journey, etc., and was somewhat surprised that the Pleanue P1 with the PHA-3 and optical connection cable produced the best sound to my ears (soundstage, clarity of the individual instruments and vocals, etc.). In addition to the best sound, the Pleanue clearly had better and many more UI options, and has many more sound options than the 120 Titan. The only downside with the P1 is the battery life, which I found to be less than six hours.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,230 of 2,974
simple questions please answer ( for me answering those question will determine my purchase as I can not try things out and return like u guys in the USA )

1- does the sound enhancements have the same terrible effect on music, like those effects on smartphones, as I use some effect and enhancements on my sony xperia z2 and simply put enhancements just suck
2- Simple question, does the sound sound anything like its thin
3- does it have a good low end punch
4- is it by any means harsh in the high end frequencies
5- does it need an amp to drive audeze lcd2
6- is the sound stage wide
7- does have good depth in sound stage

if we can rank the following where would u place the zx2 just in terms of sound quality regardless of price
1- ak240
2- rwak240
3- calyx m
4- cowon p1
5- paw lotoo

which of those 4 daps ( calyx does not have ) above has the best sound enhancement implementation and are not gimics in their implementation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back