Cowon Plenue D
Jul 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,756 of 4,949
Can anybody suggest which BBE filters they like a lot?

If you go back in the thread there's a lot on JetEffect and EQ. Try around Jan 2019.

I tinker with the pre-sets on mine every month or two/three. What I'm using now is much different from Jan. but I've also been using my Shure se535 these days. Undoubtedly this will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like checking out other's pre-sets, so here's my current go-to...

3/80Hz
2/220Hz
1/780Hz
3/4.1Hz
4/11.7Hz (all Normal)

BBE/7
M3B/5
3D/off
SE/off

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #4,757 of 4,949
Is there any issue with leaving the D on charge when not in use? I assume that the battery will stop accepting charge once it's full, and this would mean that it's always fully charged whenever I need to use it. But please let me know if there's a technical reason why it's a bad idea.

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,758 of 4,949
Is there any issue with leaving the D on charge when not in use? I assume that the battery will stop accepting charge once it's full, and this would mean that it's always fully charged whenever I need to use it. But please let me know if there's a technical reason why it's a bad idea.

Thanks.

Most devices do not have a cut off on charging. You need a pretty advanced charging design and most hand held devices do not have this. That is why it's advised to never leave devices plugged in for long periods of time, or to charge over night as it will keep charging then reduce the charge to a trickle type charge but not shut off.

When you don't follow this, what happens is that you stress out the battery and weaken it, it's even better to not even fully charge to 100% but to like 90% to less stress the battery which in the long run makes the battery last longer. This is true for cell phones, tablets, etc. I charge my D to full or as soon as it hits full or close to it (I think) I unplug it. I never leave it plugged in all day or over night or long hours.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #4,760 of 4,949
Most devices do not have a cut off on charging. You need a pretty advanced charging design and most hand held devices do not have this. That is why it's advised to never leave devices plugged in for long periods of time, or to charge over night as it will keep charging then reduce the charge to a trickle type charge but not shut off.

When you don't follow this, what happens is that you stress out the battery and weaken it, it's even better to not even fully charge to 100% but to like 90% to less stress the battery which in the long run makes the battery last longer. This is true for cell phones, tablets, etc. I charge my D to full or as soon as it hits full or close to it (I think) I unplug it. I never leave it plugged in all day or over night or long hours.

Thanks for the information.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,763 of 4,949
I’m very happy with my recently purchased Plenue D for $99. Normally, I don’t use EQ much, but the Jet Effects, especially the reverb, is nice to have with certain music. I’ve loaded nearly 2,700 AAC files on its internal memory for casual listening, and I find myself frequently changing these effects.

I’m so happy with the Cowon that I’m now looking at the Plenue L as a future purchase. My AK240SS is over 4 years old now, and I’m not so happy with the direction A&K has gone with larger size TOTL daps. I like smaller sized gear.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #4,764 of 4,949
If you go back in the thread there's a lot on JetEffect and EQ. Try around Jan 2019.

I tinker with the pre-sets on mine every month or two/three. What I'm using now is much different from Jan. but I've also been using my Shure se535 these days. Undoubtedly this will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like checking out other's pre-sets, so here's my current go-to...

3/80Hz
2/220Hz
1/780Hz
3/4.1Hz
4/11.7Hz (all Normal)

BBE/7
M3B/5
3D/off
SE/off

I usually don't use much EQ but I tried this one cause I read "shure se535". I would never have dared to push the bass with the 535, as the shure have very powerful bass. But it works fine, except I cut off M3B, a bit too muddy for me. Otherwise it is a pretty good EQ. It is a good preset also with my seinheiser momentum. Thanks a lot for your sharing. I'll use it until I change !! :ksc75smile:

About the cowon, I hope there will be a fw update someday. Please Cowon, NO database update everytime you turn on the dap !! Whyyy? it wasn't like that with the former D2, database update appeared only if you change datas, which makes more sense.
yes I know sleep mode is there, but it (really) drains the battery so I don't use it.
Please Cowon, let me change the color of my UI, the size of the font, remind we are in 21st century. About this, is there some alternative UI like it was the case for the D2 ?

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4,765 of 4,949
I usually don't use much EQ but I tried this one cause I read "shure se535". I would never have dared to push the bass with the 535, as the shure have very powerful bass. But it works fine, except I cut off M3B, a bit too muddy for me. Otherwise it is a pretty good EQ. It is a good preset also with my seinheiser momentum. Thanks a lot for your sharing. I'll use it until I change !! :ksc75smile:

I have the Momentum as well :raised_hands: And yes, I'm a bit of a basshead. One of my other presets is the same but with the bass toned down :wink:

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4,766 of 4,949

About the cowon, I hope there will be a fw update someday. Please Cowon, NO database update everytime you turn on the dap !! Whyyy? it wasn't like that with the former D2, database update appeared only if you change datas, which makes more sense.
yes I know sleep mode is there, but it (really) drains the battery so I don't use it.
Please Cowon, let me change the color of my UI, the size of the font, remind we are in 21st century. About this, is there some alternative UI like it was the case for the D2 ?

I read that the update process can take some time, but in my case, with nearly 2,700 songs on my D, after powering up my D it’s taking maybe 5 seconds. I have the latest firmware installed.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,769 of 4,949
I tried without sd card (internal memory is full) it takes 17 seconds. With the sd card, sandisk ultra 64 gb (filled with 45gb), it takes 38 sec. My fw is 1.20.
Are you sure you are not in sleep mode ON ?

Yes, that makes more sense. Micro SD cards are generally not as fast with write/read activity. Now I understand your earlier comment.

I bought the D purely for my iTunes’ song library which easily fits in the on board storage with plenty of room to spare, so I have no plans to expand the storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back