Cowon Plenue D
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #4,651 of 4,949
I read somewhere (earlier on this thread I think) that a 200gb SD card does work in the plenue D, but only if you’re within a file limit of 16,000 (I think).
Read it again.

The player won't crash if you put in a larger card. All your music will show up in the library and in folder browsing. However, when you go to play it, only files located within the lowest 128GB (or thereabouts for the pedants!) will play. Any file located further along on the card will not play. You just get file not found.

This is the only reason my PD has been relegated to the bedroom for late night listening and I now have a Shanling M0 which is brilliant for out-and-about use.

In defence of the PD, it is doing a great job bring some 'life' to the LCD-X (which sadly failed to replace my T1 as prime headphone on the iFi rig). PD + LCD-X sounds way better than you might expect such an apparently mismatched pair to sound but only after tweaking the JetEffects.

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #4,652 of 4,949
Hi @mysticstryk,

Depends on you, personally, just nice to have a stronger signal though not really necessary in the grand scheme.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,653 of 4,949
HI @Rekkxar,

There is no obvious sound quality difference when comparing DSD & flac, there will be some die hard idiots who will disagree of course but personally & subjectively, there is none.
Your experience may diiffer of course but overall no, the only issue will be file size as DSD files tend to be ridiculously huge for no reason.
If you want a nice stable format with decent quality & file size, try something like .ogg

Oh & last thing, doesn't matter what file format, source quality always matters.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #4,654 of 4,949
HI @Rekkxar,

There is no obvious sound quality difference when comparing DSD & flac, there will be some die hard idiots who will disagree of course but personally & subjectively, there is none.
Your experience may diiffer of course but overall no, the only issue will be file size as DSD files tend to be ridiculously huge for no reason.
If you want a nice stable format with decent quality & file size, try something like .ogg

Oh & last thing, doesn't matter what file format, source quality always matters.

Thank you for confirming something an audio-vicious would disagree. And I love the OGG format, they take less space than a lot of other formats and they don't lose any noticable quality in sound. Our ears hear 320kbps 16bit, I'm okay with that, tho I don't know why I can tell apart FLAC and mp3, that confuses me as I really dislike placebo effect.

Have a nice day.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4,655 of 4,949
Thank you for confirming something an audio-vicious would disagree. And I love the OGG format, they take less space than a lot of other formats and they don't lose any noticable quality in sound. Our ears hear 320kbps 16bit, I'm okay with that, tho I don't know why I can tell apart FLAC and mp3, that confuses me as I really dislike placebo effect.

Have a nice day.

Hi @Rekkxar,

Happy to help, I use .ogg format myself extensively so good to find others who use it too & like it for the same reasons :)

Flac & mp3 is discernable, especially the early builds of both codecs, due to the way the formats encode & if source quality is less than CD quality, then it is noticable so this is not a placebo effect though once again, I'm sure the idiots will disagree if they read this but that is their problem, not ours.

Hope you continue to have a great day !

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,656 of 4,949
Hi @Rekkxar,

Happy to help, I use .ogg format myself extensively so good to find others who use it too & like it for the same reasons :)

Flac & mp3 is discernable, especially the early builds of both codecs, due to the way the formats encode & if source quality is less than CD quality, then it is noticable so this is not a placebo effect though once again, I'm sure the idiots will disagree if they read this but that is their problem, not ours.

Hope you continue to have a great day !

Yes, if I'm listening to Jazz, the differences are somewhat clear, tho it's actually very much evident in live performance, but that is also gear related, so all in all, just a healthy chain of audio is all you need. But this is too simple for many in this category heh.

A nice day to you.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,657 of 4,949
Yes, if I'm listening to Jazz, the differences are somewhat clear, tho it's actually very much evident in live performance, but that is also gear related, so all in all, just a healthy chain of audio is all you need. But this is too simple for many in this category heh.

A nice day to you.

@Rekkxar,

Very much agree all round!

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #4,658 of 4,949
I read somewhere (earlier on this thread I think) that a 200gb SD card does work in the plenue D, but only if you’re within a file limit of 16,000 (I think).

Because most of my files are ALAC, I’m comfortably within the 16,000 file limit on my current 128gb card. Presumably a 200gb card would work on the D, and also on the D2?
Nope, I, like few other members have tried 200gb and any file that is stored on the card passed 128Gb it can't be played by PD. Player can see all files, just any of them that are passed 128Gb mark appear as nonplayeble. So it is not just a number of files limit but something with the memory capacity reader inside the player. Anyway, Cowon seems to follow A&K in their lunacy of releasing new player every few months with minor diferences and always heftier price tag. They are becoming worse than Samsung and Apple with their phone "upgrades".

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,659 of 4,949
Yes, I have, with the caveat that I could never get a single playlist to reference tracks both on the SD card and in internal memory -- one or the other, not both.

Note that all file references work as if they start with '\', meaning the root of the 'current' device. So if you save a playlist on the card, it'll search for the track in a path 'anchored' at the root of the card (and vice versa for internal memory). No one has provided the 'logical name' for the card or internal memory.

Here's a post where I describe the .m3u files I did get to work:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/3795#post_13115422

I am using the jet audio app it works fine. Creates an M3U file.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #4,662 of 4,949
Jan 12, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #4,663 of 4,949
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #4,665 of 4,949
Finally time to review the PD.

It is so good that I can't seem to use my phone much anymore, even though they have different purposes, life is so much better when you have simple things to carry with you.

There's a funny glitch on my device though, every even time I plug this to my PC, the database update takes about 10 seconds after turning on. But every odd time I plug this to my PC, it takes 20 minutes to finish database update. I've tested this by changing every factor of the PD, but nothing affects the weird trend.

Despite this issue, it's the best thing I ever used money to get for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back