Cowon Plenue D
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #4,636 of 4,949
I would have bought this DAP if it accepted something like a 400 gb micro sd card .

Even the 100 dollar Shanling Mo can do this is a smaller form factor

128gb’s in lossless files is not that much

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #4,637 of 4,949
New model - Plenue D2 on Cowon Korea's site

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #4,638 of 4,949
All I could find was a press release on their website. This is the google translated version:

COWON SYSTEM (CEO Nam-Kyu Park, www.cowon.com) announced 'PLENUE D2' which will provide best sound with dual DAC and 2.5mm balance output on January 2.

'PLENUE D2' uses dual CS43131, a next-generation premium DAC with a high-resolution headphone amplifier, to form a dual DAC, resulting in complete noise-free HD sound. With high-quality 2.5mm balanced output, DSD128 is native, allowing you to hear the sound of the original sound just a step closer to analog. With a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 130dB, a harmonic distortion factor (THD + N) of 0.0004% and a balanced output of 4.0Vrms, the 5 digital filters provided for micro- You can enjoy the sound tuning that exceeds the hearing limit even with the same original sound. JetEffect, a unique sound field technology of Cowon, is also installed, providing the optimal music environment to satisfy various customers' preferences.

'PLENUE D2' is finished with a sensational design that adds a sophisticated polyhedron structure of sophisticated cutting to an isometric edge design that divides the edge of a luxurious metal head into a geometric gold ratio. The small size inside the hand, the metal head that gives the point with gold and silver harmonizes with the black body, giving a more refined and emotional feeling.
All functions related to music playback, such as power, volume, playback, and navigation, can be operated with the physical buttons, making it easy to operate even in a pocket.

'PLENUE D2' is a combination of low-power circuit with low battery consumption and high performance battery. It can play continuously for 45 hours of MP3 standard and 30 hours of high quality standard. It also has a micro SD card slot that can expand to 128GB, . DSD format of DFF, DSF, ISO (SACD) files and various lossless sound sources are supported.

"PLENUE D2 is a product that has won the reputation of PLENUE D, which has been acclaimed by many users," said Park Nam-kyu, president of COWON. "Upgraded performance compared to previous works such as dual DAC, high quality balance output, native DSD support We hope that we will be able to offer you more opportunities to listen to music. "

'PLENUE D2' is available in two colors, gold black and silver black, with built-in 64GB capacity and price of 359,000 won.
As a commemoration of the launch, we will be launching a commemorative event that offers 100% of CU mobile gift certificates and LCD protective films to all customers who have registered 'PLENUE D2' purchase reviews for a month. Also, from January 3rd to 9th, we will hold a sound event and a customer buyout event at designated stores. You will be able to listen to and experience the product during the event, and present a premium leather case and auxiliary battery free of charge to the purchaser.

Cost is 359k won which is about $320. 64GB capacity. Micro SD slot for up to 128 GB expansion. 30/45 hrs of FLAC/MP3. I couldn't find any pics but it looks like they will be demoing them in stores in Korea next week.

Why is Cowon's lineup so complicated? They just came out with the Plenue J and now they're coming out with the D2. And the features of all these seem basically the same.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #4,639 of 4,949
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #4,640 of 4,949
Wow, it's a legit successor to the Plenue D, unlike the Plenue J.

Good: 64GB of internal space, you can use it as a DAC or whatever with the 2nd headphone jack, slightly tweaked design

Bad: Battery life is less than half of the Plenue D (45 hrs mp3/30 hrs flac), still uses micro USB to charge (I'd love it if they went to USB-C)

Unknown: Is sound quality improved over the D? Is the jittery UI fixed?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,641 of 4,949
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #4,642 of 4,949
So PD2 will still be limited to 128GB micro SD cards.

Yet another new yet already obsolete player from Cowon :frowning2:

I have about 65gbs of lossless music on my SD card. Not everyone has more music than they could possibly have time to listen too. I also believe there was a workaround for the original D that I imagine would work here (Plus we get 64gb internal to make almost 200gb anyways).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,643 of 4,949
I don't think I have to upgrade my Plenue D, Las battery life isn't something I'm looking for, tho I would love to listen to it once.

I got no issues with the storage since it's not like I'd carry all my music with me everywhere. All said and done, this device gonna be with me forever.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,644 of 4,949
I have about 65gbs of lossless music on my SD card. Not everyone has more music than they could possibly have time to listen too. I also believe there was a workaround for the original D that I imagine would work here (Plus we get 64gb internal to make almost 200gb anyways).

But it's shortsighted when you consider the PD2 supports DSD. That being said I couldn't care less about DSD, but still.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread. The Plenue D2 thread started by Sir Tiddly of the Winks Clan is here :relaxed: :-

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-model-cowon-plenue-d2.896733/

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,645 of 4,949
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,646 of 4,949
Can you differentiate between hearing a DSD track and a FLAC file? It seems like a hit or miss to me, some hears them some doesn't

Honestly, I've never even tried a DSD file. I just have no interest in it. I'm 47 years old, chances are I won't hear any difference at my age. Seems like a Marketing gimmick to get people to buy the same Music over and over again (much like 24 Bit) to me.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,647 of 4,949
So PD2 will still be limited to 128GB micro SD cards.

Yet another new yet already obsolete player from Cowon :frowning2:

I read somewhere (earlier on this thread I think) that a 200gb SD card does work in the plenue D, but only if you’re within a file limit of 16,000 (I think).

Because most of my files are ALAC, I’m comfortably within the 16,000 file limit on my current 128gb card. Presumably a 200gb card would work on the D, and also on the D2?

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #4,648 of 4,949
If you travel a lot like i do and take 6 hour or longer flights its quite nice to have all 500 gb's of your music with you. Even the 100 dollar Shanling MO can do this.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,649 of 4,949
Honestly, I've never even tried a DSD file. I just have no interest in it. I'm 47 years old, chances are I won't hear any difference at my age. Seems like a Marketing gimmick to get people to buy the same Music over and over again (much like 24 Bit) to me.

DSD overrated to me, that's all I can say I guess. But the Plenue D is good, can't say that enough...

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,650 of 4,949
I read somewhere (earlier on this thread I think) that a 200gb SD card does work in the plenue D, but only if you’re within a file limit of 16,000 (I think).

Because most of my files are ALAC, I’m comfortably within the 16,000 file limit on my current 128gb card. Presumably a 200gb card would work on the D, and also on the D2?
It is a ridiculous limitation , the 128 gb card limit, and I wont buy this unit because of it. It really takes very little in lossless files to fill up a 128 gb card. Albums are almost 1/2 gigabit each!! Thats about 256 albums

And sometimes you get in certain moods. You want to listen to punk rock but you dont have it because of the sd card limitation.

I'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back