Cowon Plenue D
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #4,606 of 4,949
IMG_20181025_181657.jpg

My PD with new firmware, and using the case that came with a set of CSL 650 headphones as the player's case. A perfect fit!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,607 of 4,949
Just beneath the battery life, you tap the kind of wheel, then the wrench on top right.

My feed back on the new fw : nothing foolish...I was hoping the database update would disappear everytime you switch on, I was hoping I could change the size of the font, I was hoping I could rename the user settings.
Ok they just change the design of some icons and turn the white into black...Very dissapointed by cowon

@El Gringo Thank you. :blush: I see what the issue is. Maybe I never noticed this with the previous firmware, but to get to the play modes and settings section using the wheel/sprocket icon, you have to be inside a song -- it could be playing or paused, as long as you are inside a song. In other words, if you're viewing a list of songs, tapping the wheel/sprocket icon gives you the alternate menu of play-all / favorite / search / delete instead. Sigh! Who knew?! LoL

I agree. I'm a bit disappointed overall with this firmware, too! It feels more like a v1.13.02 firmware iteration than v1.20. Disappointing.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #4,608 of 4,949
Hello Friends:

I just upgraded my Plenue D to v1.20 firmware.
Sadly, I now can't figure out how to get to the system settings area. I'm tapping various areas of the screen but can't seem to find the trick to get to settings.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Appreciated :blush:
I see what the issue is. Maybe I never noticed this with the previous firmware, but to get to the play modes and settings section using the wheel/sprocket icon, you have to be inside a song -- it could be playing or paused, as long as you are inside a song. In other words, if you're viewing a list of songs, tapping the wheel/sprocket icon gives you the alternate menu of play-all / favorite / search / delete instead. Sigh! Who knew?! LoL

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4,609 of 4,949
How does unplugged headphones help battery life if the player is off?

Apparently the phones draw power even if the player is not playing. I have used my PD close to every weekday for a couple years. A while back I mentioned a decrease in battery life here and someone suggested unplugging the phones when not in use. I started doing that and noticed a significant difference almost instantly. Unplugging over the weekend, when I'm using the home system, is probably the biggest change, but I'm now in the habit of unplugging my IEMs from the PD when I hit my car at the end of the workday and plugging them in as I head in to work the next day. I have no doubt that it changed how my PD uses power.

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #4,610 of 4,949
Apparently the phones draw power even if the player is not playing. I have used my PD close to every weekday for a couple years. A while back I mentioned a decrease in battery life here and someone suggested unplugging the phones when not in use. I started doing that and noticed a significant difference almost instantly. Unplugging over the weekend, when I'm using the home system, is probably the biggest change, but I'm now in the habit of unplugging my IEMs from the PD when I hit my car at the end of the workday and plugging them in as I head in to work the next day. I have no doubt that it changed how my PD uses power.
Ah I c! Nice tip. I have a jack to jack cable left plugged into the phones socket when not in use. Would that draw juice in the same way? I pipe the player thru a stereo in work.

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,611 of 4,949
Ah I c! Nice tip. I have a jack to jack cable left plugged into the phones socket when not in use. Would that draw juice in the same way? I pipe the player thru a stereo in work.
I can't see how headphones consume much power (if any at all) when the device is off (not asleep, but off). Perhaps with headphones that have an intermittent short circuit or bad impedance. I have not personally experienced this (with Plenue D or Cowon J3), however I believe @mdtolic .

Regarding your specific question, a little dongle adapter with nothing connected to the other end will not consume any power at all (none at all). And by the way, having a dongle adapter is a good idea if you're going to regularly connect / disconnect the device from headphones or AUX ports, as this will spare the Plenue D jack mechanism from excessive wear and tear. :blush:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,612 of 4,949
But mine starts so much faster now the database update is only about 2 seconds anb then I'm in. Where as before it could be 15+ sevonds.

2 seconds in sleep mode?
I'm talking about Sleep mode OFF. For me it takes 37 seconds (with a 64gb sd card), 21 seconds without sd card.
It is a shame in 2018. My former D2 was doing data update only if I modify my files otherwise, it turned on in 1 second.
Sleep mode drains the battery. For someone like me who use the PD once in a while, sleep mode is not useful at all.

So PD is ok for size, battery life and sound quality. UI is 20 years late :dt880smile:

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4,614 of 4,949

Just found out that you can change fonts.
Nothing to do with audio but it's still pretty cool.
I cant get it to change font. I've tried various windows fonts, change the font name to user.ttf asu said and put them in the system folder. But when I go to display settings and select user font nothing happens? Is there only some particular ones you can use?

Im stumped

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,617 of 4,949
Has anyone figured out if it's possible to switch the colour scheme to the "black text on white background" that it was on previous firmwares? 1.20 switches it to "white text on black background" and I don't know if you can change it back.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #4,619 of 4,949
Well and honestly budget is IMO the wrong word here.
It's a device which costs more than 180$ and was much more expensive when it came out.
And for that money it has to do a single job. You can get a smartphone for that price and it can play music plus a thousand other things.
Sure it might not be a great smartphone but I think you get the point.

Don't get me wrong, it does a great job with playing music and the very long battery life but it could such a better device if the software was just a little bit better:
- a less lagy interface
- The ability to add a song to the currently playing queue
- a less buggy way to handle playlists created on a PC(never got them to work)
- maybe better default equalizer settings
- the music stops playing when you delete a file
- sometimes it "forgets" the files on the sd card which requires a reboot
Add to queue should have been on this player. Still not.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #4,620 of 4,949
so.. i spent this weekend ripping my old DVDs to flac using Dvd Audio Extractor trying to get the highest sound quality since this material is not available to dl anymore (2003/2002 stuff). Fact's that even copying only to internal memory, it's always gapping like crazy...

1. ripped the AC3 6 channels (dvd highest quality).
2. auto convertion to flac 24 bit/48hz. (+- 50Mb files).
3. copied track by track by hand (call me nuts) to internal memory (since SD is gapping for sure).
4. edited tags using MP3Tag.
5. tested with NORMAL EQ, no JetEffect setup or any additional preset.
6. cover art has 30 Kb max.

anyone experience this with 1.20 firmware?? WTH am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back