Cowon Plenue D
May 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #4,171 of 4,949
Hello. I am a newbie and this is my first post.

I just ordered a PD and I am pretty excited since this is my first real investment on good sound.

I am currently using iPhone 7+ and a Bose QC15 headphones. sound level is not so high since i'm not using an amp. I think I need an amp to fully benefit from the headphones.

What I'd like to ask is if QC15 and PD is a good match? Should I buy an amp? If so, which one would you guys prefer? And if QC15 is not a good match, what would be your recommendation for a 100 USD budget?

Thanks.

May 8, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #4,173 of 4,949
I've got Senn HD-518s, although I mostly listen to IEMs. They're in the same neighborhood as your Bose.

Bose a little higher impedance 72 vs 50 Ohms, but a little more sensitive 113 vs 108 (all based on searches). Joker is the noise cancellation circuitry -- does it make the Bose more or less demanding?

I listen to my Senns @ 50-60/100, but I'm careful w/ my ears. I'm sure there are those who would say they're not being fully driven.

Bottom line, PD might be powerful enough for you, but there's probably not much headroom to spare.

PD output is 1 Vrms.

May 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,174 of 4,949
I won't need very high volumes. So, as far as I understand, I don't really need an amp to use with QC15.

For portability purposes, would you recommend an IEM for me? Budget is around 100 USD, 150USD tops. I mostly listen pop, jazz, country.

May 10, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,175 of 4,949
I won't need very high volumes. So, as far as I understand, I don't really need an amp to use with QC15.

For portability purposes, would you recommend an IEM for me? Budget is around 100 USD, 150USD tops. I mostly listen pop, jazz, country.

Way too many choices in that price range. Also, what's in your ears affects what you hear way more than any other part of the system (except arguably the quality of the music files you listen to). Very personal, based on your sound preferences. Recommendations you receive from others will be based on their listening preferences, not yours. Questions like bright vs. warm, detailed/analytical vs musical, bass-heavy vs neutral have to be answered in order for anyone to help you.

Try this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/m...audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.478568/

It's a tremendous resource.

BTW, I stopped playing in that price range a while ago. My iBasso IT03s ($260) are getting most of my time now. I've got a set of MaGaosi K3 Pros coming end of this week. About $110 from AliExpress -- I paid $94 during their anniversary sale. That's the only IEM I (will) have in your price range, but I won't know whether I'll recommend them until I listen for a while.

The good news is that the PD will let you shape the sound sig quite easily with EQ. As you read reviews, you should pay attention to whether the reviewer indicates that the IEM accepts EQ well or not.

May 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #4,176 of 4,949
Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole dap and hi res scene and have started getting into 24 bit flac anyway I have an X1 but want to upgrade and was thinking of the D.

Has anyone used it with the phantom sabres? Do they sound good together? Also would the D be a better upgrade than the x1 II as mentioned I have the phantom sabres so don't really need the Bluetooth but would like your guys opinion.

Thanks

May 20, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4,178 of 4,949
I'm thinking about buying the Plenue D has anyone here compared it to the sony walkman A15/17 ??

If so which sounds better ?
I have Plenue D and I had Sony A15. In my opinion Plenue D is much better, thanks to Jet Effect in PD you can customize the sound to your preferences and PD has more power output, A15 hardly drove my IEMs (I had EU version) ,battery in Plenue D is better also

May 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #4,180 of 4,949
I know I'm probably being incredibly thick but I just can't figure out how to play a whole album. At the moment I can only play individual tracks which is incredibly frustrating.

On the settings screen, it is the third icon. Mine looks like a folder. It's the one next to the spanner. It lets you select track, all tracks or a folder.

May 22, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #4,183 of 4,949
I'm thinking about buying the Plenue D has anyone here compared it to the sony walkman A15/17 ??

If so which sounds better ?

I have both. Without EQ, the A17 sounds better with my 64Audio U12. If you like to EQ, then you will find a lot of choices with Cowon Jet Effect. Also, keep in mind, I think the Plenue D is still limited (crippled) to 128gb on the micro sd card. Sony takes up to 256gb.

May 26, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,185 of 4,949
Edit: Don't worry, got that fixed.

For the reference, if anyone can't get the PC to recognise the plenue d, they could try to use another usb cable, at least this fixed mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back