Cowon Plenue D
Apr 4, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #4,145 of 4,949
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=200+gb&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=789488&advanced=1

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4,146 of 4,949
You'll need another Control bit in the software+hardware(serial) to address Memory space beyond 128G.

If you can't address those memory locations, then it's not known by the CPU, even if the space exist.

The memory controller has to issue the next memory location to fetch the next string of digital music data.  So if it can't address locations beyond 128G, then it can't get data.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #4,147 of 4,949
Hi all,

Just a quick question - I am pretty ignorant of all things computery, and having finally become sick to death of iPods I'm thinking of buying one of these fancy Plenue D oojamajigs. All I want to do is play mp3's, create playlists, and listen to podcasts. Is this device simple enough for someone who types with one finger whilst wearing an expression of close concentration to understand? I'm not too interested if it'd take a qualification in computer science to use (as some of the posts in this thread seem to infer).

Thanks for your advice.

Matt

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,148 of 4,949
  Hi all,

Just a quick question - I am pretty ignorant of all things computery, and having finally become sick to death of iPods I'm thinking of buying one of these fancy Plenue D oojamajigs. All I want to do is play mp3's, create playlists, and listen to podcasts. Is this device simple enough for someone who types with one finger whilst wearing an expression of close concentration to understand? I'm not too interested if it'd take a qualification in computer science to use (as some of the posts in this thread seem to infer).

Thanks for your advice.

Matt

Matt:

Using the PD to listen to music is very easy.  There are a couple of gotchas along the way though.  

Getting the microSD card set up properly takes a bit of technical effort, but it's a one-time job (well, one time each time you buy a card, which might only be once). Depending on how good a friend your technical buddy is, it'll cost you a six-pack, or maybe even a twelve-pack. It's probably not beyond the abilities of a one finger typist, but since you only do it once, probably better to pay your buddy than to risk the permanent frown lines you'll acquire if you try to muddle through on your own.

Setting up playlists is either really annoying and time-consuming, or somewhat technically complex.  The difference is if you create the playlists directly on the player by selecting individual songs and adding them to the 'Favorites' lists (of which there are 10), or create them on the computer and then move them to the player. Again, you're going to enlist your buddy's help to walk you through the process a couple of times until you can repeat it on your own.

If you don't have such a friend, then I would say that you're in for a fair amount of discomfort. So, to borrow from Clint Eastwood, 'You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?' (Actually, the question is, Are you ready for a learning experience?)  
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, as I type this assessment, I'm thinking of my Dad, whom I do quite a bit of Tech Support for.  He also frowns quite a bit as he types, although he does use 2 fingers.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,149 of 4,949
Hi,i'm new on this forum but thought this was a good place to ask a question.I have just got my Plenue D but i notice clicks when changing eq and also when you activate BBe along with the other options.Is this normal?Many thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,150 of 4,949
  Hi,i'm new on this forum but thought this was a good place to ask a question.I have just got my Plenue D but i notice clicks when changing eq and also when you activate BBe along with the other options.Is this normal?Many thanks in advance.

Did you update the Cowon Plenue D firmware for the latest? (1.17)

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #4,151 of 4,949

Matt:

Using the PD to listen to music is very easy.  There are a couple of gotchas along the way though.  

Getting the microSD card set up properly takes a bit of technical effort, but it's a one-time job (well, one time each time you buy a card, which might only be once). Depending on how good a friend your technical buddy is, it'll cost you a six-pack, or maybe even a twelve-pack. It's probably not beyond the abilities of a one finger typist, but since you only do it once, probably better to pay your buddy than to risk the permanent frown lines you'll acquire if you try to muddle through on your own.

Setting up playlists is either really annoying and time-consuming, or somewhat technically complex.  The difference is if you create the playlists directly on the player by selecting individual songs and adding them to the 'Favorites' lists (of which there are 10), or create them on the computer and then move them to the player. Again, you're going to enlist your buddy's help to walk you through the process a couple of times until you can repeat it on your own.

If you don't have such a friend, then I would say that you're in for a fair amount of discomfort. So, to borrow from Clint Eastwood, 'You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?' (Actually, the question is, Are you ready for a learning experience?)  
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, as I type this assessment, I'm thinking of my Dad, whom I do quite a bit of Tech Support for.  He also frowns quite a bit as he types, although he does use 2 fingers.

Twice as skilled as I am, then, that should put a smile on his face.

If it's got 32 gig without a card then that'll be plenty so I could probably skip the troubles with the SD card until I'm feeling man enough to tackle it. With regards to mp3's, I was thinking of just dumping all of my music into one playlist (I only have a couple of hundred tracks at this point) and using the others for three or four podcasts that I follow - I could download them through iTunes, drag and drop them onto my desktop to make them mp3's, them shift them across to the Plenue. Is that feasible?

I don't really have a techie friend, that's a consequence of being an old person. I can afford to pay someone to do it though - that is also a consenquence of being an old person.

I've been doing a bit of googling to see if I can find a Plenue-for-idiots type guide but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in English. I can't believe how many people feel compelled to video themselves opening the damn box. Sheesh.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #4,153 of 4,949

Did you update the Cowon Plenue D firmware for the latest? (1.17)

Yeah i have and it is still happening.It sounds like the eq is being switched on or something.eg,switch bbe on there is a click turn it off and another small click but no clicks in between on and off.One other thing, i take it it has a screen protector factory fitted?.Love the little thing.Thanks for your reply.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #4,154 of 4,949
If it's got 32 gig without a card

I just checked, and my PD has over 31 Gb free (since all my music is on my card).  That's good news, since it means that the system doesn't eat up a significant chunk of the available storage, unlike most iDevices.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,155 of 4,949
Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking for a while as make a short list for a new DAP.  Plenue D is high on my list because I don't see much else that can compete on playback time, but the price is a bit higher than I was initially considering. So, until I finally make up my mind I inevitably have some questions:

Is anyone looking at newer products and announcements and starting to feel the Plenue D is lacking anything? e.g. the most obvious alternative for me is the Cayin N3 which is looking very promising, it just doesn't compete on playback time.

Also, since they can't last forever I'm wondering if the Plenue D battery is user replaceable?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back