Cowon Plenue D
Mar 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4,081 of 4,949

That is a way to see it.
Apparently, before buying, I read and watched all the material on the web save for that video and that post 
tongue.gif

As always, it all comes down to what kind of user you are. Me, I have a huge library, a huge number of folders and subfolders, and my default state is on "browse", as I constantly look through my library for the perfect track to play next, make adjustment, rewind a few seconds; I basically never play playlists or whole folders.
What's more, most of the times I'll be focusing on a particular segment of a track and replay that segment many times. So yes, for me UI functionality and responsiveness is paramount.
Plenue D has a very good UI with good functions, but responsiveness is abysmal. I switched from a Fiio X1 which had very good responsiveness (god bless mechanical inputs) but bad UI functions as I couldn't viably manipulate playback and library at the same time.
Damn. Well, if you know of a good DAP for me let me know.

Buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy is all I can suggest.  I'm more of an albums only sort of person anyway.  Find an album I want to listen to, press play on track 01 and listen to the end (uninterrupted if I'm lucky).  Avoid sony a35 series as that lag would drive you nuts.  In the meantime my 3rd gen ipod touch continues to function without missing a beat interface wise (sounds crap, power buttons knackered and volume keeps defaulting to maximum which is why I don't use it).

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,082 of 4,949

That is a way to see it.
Apparently, before buying, I read and watched all the material on the web save for that video and that post 
tongue.gif

As always, it all comes down to what kind of user you are. Me, I have a huge library, a huge number of folders and subfolders, and my default state is on "browse", as I constantly look through my library for the perfect track to play next, make adjustment, rewind a few seconds; I basically never play playlists or whole folders.
What's more, most of the times I'll be focusing on a particular segment of a track and replay that segment many times. So yes, for me UI functionality and responsiveness is paramount.
Plenue D has a very good UI with good functions, but responsiveness is abysmal. I switched from a Fiio X1 which had very good responsiveness (god bless mechanical inputs) but bad UI functions as I couldn't viably manipulate playback and library at the same time.
Damn. Well, if you know of a good DAP for me let me know.

Makes sense, for the most part I put on an album and let it play till it's over. I can understand your predicament now that you stated your listening habits. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #4,083 of 4,949
I see.
What baffles me is that not once I read on the web reviews or opinions criticizing or even just noticing these obvious, crippling issues. quite the contrary, I've often read people talking enthusiastically about this device's "awesome touchscreen", "very good ui performances", "so much better than X flagship ui and touch performances", and that's mainly why I bought the Plenue D.
If I knew these people were all a bunch of lying, pretentious sellouts, or, even worse, placebophiles desperately trying to contain and silence their buyer's remorse, I would have never bought this.
I just wish there were a bit more honesty in this scene.
So, I guess my Plenue D is for sale.

Interesting.  I haven't had any trouble, nor have I felt the UI was inadequate.  I do note that screen swiping to scroll doesn't work very quickly, but I would say the same about most of the other DAPs I've tried (to one degree or another).  The Onkyo dp-x1 had the fastest screen swipe scroll of all of them, but still a bit laggy when moving through a big list.  

I just use the scrolling thumb at the right, and I can go from the top to bottom of 1200+ songs in less than a second.  Perhaps your device is defective?

My only problem with the PD has been that I've never gotten a playlist to be able to refer to tracks both in internal memory and on the SD card.  Always looks for the path starting at the location where the playlist is located, or at the root of that device if I prefix paths with '\'.  

Cowon has not responded to requests for info on how to solve this.

BTW, how much will you ask for your PD?  I'd like to get another one for my son (to go with the IT-03s I gave him for X-mas).

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #4,085 of 4,949
Just out of curiosity, has the plenue ever had an update?

Yes, from 1.11 to 1.12 since I got mine. I think there were earlier ones as well. 1.12 seems to work just fine for me. No complaints at all.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,086 of 4,949
My PD works well, particularly after reformatting the internal drive.  I would argue that some of the lagging problem you guys are experiencing has a lot to do with memory accessing.

SO I'd recommend reformatting Internal drive, copy the FW 1.17 and start over (post #4061),  before you sell the unit.

If you live in Central Florida, pm me.  I may be interested in another PD.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,087 of 4,949
I see.
What baffles me is that not once I read on the web reviews or opinions criticizing or even just noticing these obvious, crippling issues. quite the contrary, I've often read people talking enthusiastically about this device's "awesome touchscreen", "very good ui performances", "so much better than X flagship ui and touch performances", and that's mainly why I bought the Plenue D.
If I knew these people were all a bunch of lying, pretentious sellouts, or, even worse, placebophiles desperately trying to contain and silence their buyer's remorse, I would have never bought this.

I wrote a review sunday on amazon and even have a video comparing the scrolling to my 2.5 year old smart phone. It's not great, and had I not scratched the top of the player I wouldn't have minded trying out another player. Pretty much everything else about the player is really fantastic, well except the UI, so it's not a huge deal for me. I have a feeling that the UI for all dap players sans ipods is **** and that I'm spoiled by the apps on my smart phone. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #4,088 of 4,949
WOW!!!! I felt in love, dudes! Yesterday I got the golden one. And the gold is delicious. Its like whitegold and just amazing. The sound is so a big upgrade to my Blackberry Priv. The UI is compared to Smartphones pretty laggi. But doesn't matter, cause allways shuffle all! Its so **cking amazing. And I'm so happy decided for that little monster.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #4,089 of 4,949
  My PD works well, particularly after reformatting the internal drive.  I would argue that some of the lagging problem you guys are experiencing has a lot to do with memory accessing.

SO I'd recommend reformatting Internal drive, copy the FW 1.17 and start over (post #4061),  before you sell the unit.

If you live in Central Florida, pm me.  I may be interested in another PD.

Sorry, I doubt any American user would be interested in my PD, I'm in Italy 
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #4,090 of 4,949
I see.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,091 of 4,949
Whoa. "lying, pretentious, sellouts"? You're being incredibly presumptive there buddy. And maybe a bit of a tool as well. Plenty of people have complained about the UI here. However, most seem to feel the pros of the PD outweigh the cons; often by a lot. But I don't think I've heard anyone report lag and skipping to the extent you are. Could it be possible that someone on eBay sold you a defective unit eventhough they *gasp* listed it as new? It's been known to happen you know.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,092 of 4,949
The PD is a very good dap.Selling it cause other people "lied" is childish and you basically given them power over you. Your PD never did you wrong.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,093 of 4,949
After flashing v.1.17, it seems to me as if the UI is snappier and more responsive and better clarity and extension of both ends of the audio spectrum. I have listened to my .wav and .flac files with the same phones long enough to detect any audible differences, I think.

I did have a couple of lock-ups with 1.12 but so far, all is good with 1.17.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #4,094 of 4,949
Whoa. "lying, pretentious, sellouts"? You're being incredibly presumptive there buddy. And maybe a bit of a tool as well. Plenty of people have complained about the UI here. However, most seem to feel the pros of the PD outweigh the cons; often by a lot. But I don't think I've heard anyone report lag and skipping to the extent you are. Could it be possible that someone on eBay sold you a defective unit eventhough they *gasp* listed it as new? It's been known to happen you know.

It's new, it had all the sealing adhesive patches in the right places.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #4,095 of 4,949
Thinking of "upgrading" my commuting setup from iphone 6 to this Cowon Plenue D.  All my files are AIFF (on Mac) which I understand is supported by this unit. I've read about half of this fulsome thread but want to confirm:  Will artwork from my AIFF files display on the PD?  

Also will this be able to drive the AKG K545 to satisfactory levels?  (I'm not familiar with this headphone yet as is also new, I currently use Sony MDR V6.)

Curious to confirm, what's the DAC chip in this?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back