Cowon Plenue D
Mar 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,066 of 4,949
No, it would be best if Plenue D 2 has a faster CPU to have a more fluid UI. Another point would be a slightly larger screen with a slightly better resolution as well.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #4,069 of 4,949
I would suggest the same screen with better resolution, CPU and Bluetooth.

I believe it is almost impossible to come with Bluetooth. The entire Plenue line does not have Bluetooth.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #4,070 of 4,949
I'm not sure, a better display or CPU might be good, cause of battery live. In best case the CPU und new display will need less power. That would be awesome. Than maybe 128gig intern und 256gig extern. And maybe a line out. But before they will create a new PD they will make a new P1 or PM instead I think.

I orderd my PD yesterday and will arrive today afternoon. I'm soooo excited about the beauty.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #4,071 of 4,949
Man the BBE  and default EQ options shines pretty hard after burn in ,  burning in is not a myth because i am still listening to my Desktop USB DAC and now they really sounded crap compared to the plenue D by miles.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #4,072 of 4,949
  I'm not sure, a better display or CPU might be good, cause of battery live. In best case the CPU und new display will need less power. That would be awesome. Than maybe 128gig intern und 256gig extern. And maybe a line out. But before they will create a new PD they will make a new P1 or PM instead I think.

I orderd my PD yesterday and will arrive today afternoon. I'm soooo excited about the beauty.

Man, you just described PM2 minus long battery life and of course the price. Since I have both PD and PM2 I can tell you, although PD is sexy little fella, it aint't the ultimate DAP -the PM2 is, hence  3 times the price. Also, I can tell you as much as PD is worth 200 bucks (I've paid), PM2 is worth every penny of his $649 (that I've paid).

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #4,073 of 4,949

Plenue M2 and Plenue 2 have already been released. In the case of Plenue 2, its launch is scheduled for March 24.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #4,074 of 4,949
Hello
I bought a brand new Plenue D from Ebay.
I flashed the latest firmware (1.17) and I don't seem to have the weird audio issues many people mention.
However, I do have issues, and they're bad enough that I have stopped using it: the cursed touchscreen. Lord almighty, isn't it a piece of crap.
I literally can't pick it up again because of the pain of dealing with its abysmal touchscreen performance. What worries me is that I can't find other users reporting the same problem, so I'm starting to wonder it's just my device?

Basically, the scrolling is incredibly slow and unresponsive. Think of first generation, primordial touch screen phone slow. When I scroll through my library, not only the screen starts scrolling half a second after I swiped the screen with my finger, but it also behaves wildly after lightly tapping the screen during the scrolling in order to stop it: instead of stopping, it just pauses (quickly slows down) and then starts scrolling again after the light tap, as if it hadn't stopped completely yet.
Sometimes the screen literally flies away at the speed of light just by removing your finger from the display. Generally, any kind of rapid touch movement is absolutely impossible. I have to fidget like a madman or to hold my finger on the screen at least for one second in order to really stop the scrolling.
In addition to all of this, during any scrolling, the display also tears up VERTICALLY.  Like screen-tearing in v-unsync'd games, but vertically across the screen instead of horizontally.

I'm seriously considering to give this thing away.
Has any of you experienced similar issues?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,075 of 4,949
  Hello
I bought a brand new Plenue D from Ebay.
I flashed the latest firmware (1.17) and I don't seem to have the weird audio issues many people mention.
However, I do have issues, and they're bad enough that I have stopped using it: the cursed touchscreen. Lord almighty, isn't it a piece of crap.
I literally can't pick it up again because of the pain of dealing with its abysmal touchscreen performance. What worries me is that I can't find other users reporting the same problem, so I'm starting to wonder it's just my device?

Basically, the scrolling is incredibly slow and unresponsive. Think of first generation, primordial touch screen phone slow. When I scroll through my library, not only the screen starts scrolling half a second after I swiped the screen with my finger, but it also behaves wildly after lightly tapping the screen during the scrolling in order to stop it: instead of stopping, it just pauses (quickly slows down) and then starts scrolling again after the light tap, as if it hadn't stopped completely yet.
Sometimes the screen literally flies away at the speed of light just by removing your finger from the display. Generally, any kind of rapid touch movement is absolutely impossible. I have to fidget like a madman or to hold my finger on the screen at least for one second in order to really stop the scrolling.
In addition to all of this, during any scrolling, the display also tears up VERTICALLY.  Like screen-tearing in v-unsync'd games, but vertically across the screen instead of horizontally.

I'm seriously considering to give this thing away.
Has any of you experienced similar issues?

This is why I gave mine back at the beginning.

However I have mine back since roughly two months and while it's still laggy as hell, it doesn't really matter anymore,
because I really like the sound of it and I only use the screen when I change tracks or quickly change an effect.
It's not like I'm reading a book on it or so.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,076 of 4,949
This is why I gave mine back at the beginning.

However I have mine back since roughly two months and while it's still laggy as hell, it doesn't really matter anymore,
because I really like the sound of it and I only use the screen when I change tracks or quickly change an effect.
It's not like I'm reading a book on it or so.

I see.
What baffles me is that not once I read on the web reviews or opinions criticizing or even just noticing these obvious, crippling issues. quite the contrary, I've often read people talking enthusiastically about this device's "awesome touchscreen", "very good ui performances", "so much better than X flagship ui and touch performances", and that's mainly why I bought the Plenue D.
If I knew these people were all a bunch of lying, pretentious sellouts, or, even worse, placebophiles desperately trying to contain and silence their buyer's remorse, I would have never bought this.
I just wish there were a bit more honesty in this scene.
So, I guess my Plenue D is for sale.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,077 of 4,949
I seriously think we as consumers have been spoiled by Apple and its likes, yes the PD is laggy but is it really that bad of a thing when we get such an amazing player to make up for the fact?

Yes it doesn't scroll as smoothly as an Ipod or smartphone but it sure does sound better than the whole lot! I'll gladly trade the functionality of an Ipod and put up with miniscule lag and be rewarded with an amazing sounding player with such outstanding battery times 10 times over now a days.

At the end of the day the sound is what really matters. My 2c.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,078 of 4,949
I see.
What baffles me is that not once I read on the web reviews or opinions criticizing or even just noticing these obvious, crippling issues. quite the contrary, I've often read people talking enthusiastically about this device's "awesome touchscreen", "very good ui performances", "so much better than X flagship ui and touch performances", and that's mainly why I bought the Plenue D.
If I knew these people were all a bunch of lying, pretentious sellouts, or, even worse, placebophiles desperately trying to contain and silence their buyer's remorse, I would have never bought this.
I just wish there were a bit more honesty in this scene.
So, I guess my Plenue D is for sale.

That's funny because right near the start of the thread (or at least the date when people physically got their hands on one) screen lag was one of the issues that got brought up.  There are also a couple of videos on youtube demonstrating the interface between the new firmwares.  One was called out because the user had sped the video up a bit.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,079 of 4,949

That's funny because right near the start of the thread [...]

I seriously think we as consumers have been spoiled by Apple and its likes, yes the PD is laggy [...]

That is a way to see it.
Apparently, before buying, I read and watched all the material on the web save for that video and that post 
tongue.gif

As always, it all comes down to what kind of user you are. Me, I have a huge library, a huge number of folders and subfolders, and my default state is on "browse", as I constantly look through my library for the perfect track to play next, make adjustment, rewind a few seconds; I basically never play playlists or whole folders.
What's more, most of the times I'll be focusing on a particular segment of a track and replay that segment many times. So yes, for me UI functionality and responsiveness is paramount.
Plenue D has a very good UI with good functions, but responsiveness is abysmal. I switched from a Fiio X1 which had very good responsiveness (god bless mechanical inputs) but bad UI functions as I couldn't viably manipulate playback and library at the same time.
Damn. Well, if you know of a good DAP for me let me know.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,080 of 4,949

That is a way to see it.
Apparently, before buying, I read and watched all the material on the web save for that video and that post 
tongue.gif

As always, it all comes down to what kind of user you are. Me, I have a huge library, a huge number of folders and subfolders, and my default state is on "browse", as I constantly look through my library for the perfect track to play next, make adjustment, rewind a few seconds; I basically never play playlists or whole folders.
What's more, most of the times I'll be focusing on a particular segment of a track and replay that segment many times. So yes, for me UI functionality and responsiveness is paramount.
Plenue D has a very good UI with good functions, but responsiveness is abysmal. I switched from a Fiio X1 which had very good responsiveness (god bless mechanical inputs) but bad UI functions as I couldn't viably manipulate playback and library at the same time.
Damn. Well, if you know of a good DAP for me let me know.

For that kind of usage PD is not good at all. I'd say PD is the ideal "commuter DAP", hit play, slide it in your pocket and forget about it. The dedicated buttons help volume up/down and changing tracks.

What you are describing is critical listening. Get a sony DAP, the ZX2, or if your budget permits the WM1A. ZX2 can be had for ~500 on the used market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back