Cowon Plenue D
Jul 31, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,121 of 4,949
  Right, that experiment has confirmed it.
I took 3 versions of the same track in 320 MP3 and used MP3Gain to alter them to 50db, 80db & 100db, transferred them over to the Plenue and they do play at different volumes.
I also took over a FLAC of the same song and on the Plenue I can't tell the difference between the two.
However, with my PC setup I can hear a difference between MP3 320 v FLAC playing through the wonderful Musicbee into my DAC.

I'm not 100% impressed with the Plenue at the moment because I'm not getting the same quality I get out of my PC however I realise that a £199 DAP isn't going to be as good as PC > Musicbee > DAC.

Sorry for digging up an old post, I came across this via Google. 

I was wondering what sort of settings you used to get this to work?  I have a few test tracks I'm trying to analyze the volume on with MusicBee, and it is adjusting the replay gain tags accordingly.  I have duplicate files of the test tracks with no replay gain added to them.  When I play the tracks in MusicBee I can hear the volume difference between the originals and the adjusted tracks, but when I transfer them to my Plenue D the adjusted ones don't play any differently from the originals.

I was wondering if you had re-encoded your files with the new volume info rather than just using the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag.  I'd like to avoid re-encoding them if I can.

Alternately if anyone can offer some advice for normalizing my tracks for use on the Plenue D that would be wonderful... any tips on what programs or techniques that have worked for you would be very much appreciated.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,122 of 4,949
Hi, interested in this little player. May I ask if this player allows playing through folders function? As an example, after finishing track 14 of Adele's Someone Like You, the player would continue to play track 1 of the next folder (example, Alanis Morissette's All I Really Want). Thanks in advance.

If you use folder navigation, that's exactly how it works! Just choose "all" as the repeat option (it's either one track/folder/everything).

Sent from my Chroma-powered Nexus 6P

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3,123 of 4,949

Sorry for digging up an old post, I came across this via Google. 

I was wondering what sort of settings you used to get this to work?  I have a few test tracks I'm trying to analyze the volume on with MusicBee, and it is adjusting the replay gain tags accordingly.  I have duplicate files of the test tracks with no replay gain added to them.  When I play the tracks in MusicBee I can hear the volume difference between the originals and the adjusted tracks, but when I transfer them to my Plenue D the adjusted ones don't play any differently from the originals.

I was wondering if you had re-encoded your files with the new volume info rather than just using the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag.  I'd like to avoid re-encoding them if I can.

Alternately if anyone can offer some advice for normalizing my tracks for use on the Plenue D that would be wonderful... any tips on what programs or techniques that have worked for you would be very much appreciated.

I couldn't get the FLAC files to be recognised with 3 different volumes that I'd saved in Musicbee,

I had saved the same file in MP3 320 format and using MP3Gain I was able to hear volume differences.

I personally can't hear the difference between MP3 320 and FLAC files on the Plenue D so it was easier to convert all my FLAC files to MP3 320 using dbPoweramp.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,124 of 4,949

I couldn't get the FLAC files to be recognised with 3 different volumes that I'd saved in Musicbee,

I had saved the same file in MP3 320 format and using MP3Gain I was able to hear volume differences.

I personally can't hear the difference between MP3 320 and FLAC files on the Plenue D so it was easier to convert all my FLAC files to MP3 320 using dbPoweramp.

Thank you for the info.  I did a little more digging after my post and figured out that yes, pretty much the only way to do it is to re-encode everything with the volume adjustments baked in.  A pain in the butt, and I actually considered returning my Plenue D because of it, but really there isn't another player out there that fits all the other criteria I want.  It's just more work than I'm looking forward to, but in the end I think it'll be worth it.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #3,126 of 4,949
Firmware V1.14b1 (4.12MB (9.9MB Unpacked)) is on http://www.cowonglobal.com/

Changes:-

• Improve the noise between the songs
  • Support PNG file in the album art (Under 1000x1000 pixels)
  • Add string pop-up window in the browser list. (When you press list button longer, string of applied line will be displayed as pop-up window.)
  • Change sleep mode basic setting from ‘on’ to ‘off’

Firmare installed ok, I haven't tested the changes though.

Peace
L3000.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,129 of 4,949
  I've never had that sound but I recall it being discussed in the Colorfly C3 thread. That was linked to DB Poweramp, I think. It may be the same thing
confused.gif

I never had this issue either. Strange how most post all these weird things. I wonder if they bought these used or something and they were abused or dropped by the previous owner or something. I got mine new directly from COWON and 0% issues. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,130 of 4,949
  I never had this issue either. Strange how most post all these weird things. I wonder if they bought these used or something and they were abused or dropped by the previous owner or something. I got mine new directly from COWON and 0% issues. 

I was having this problem with noise until this new firmwre (V1.14b1) and my Plenue D was purchased new, sealed in the Japanese Amazon (direct them without intermediary seller). I think it's board versions or specific models of phones that detect noise (see in the firmware 1.12 talks about this noise specifically with certain headphones). I currently use the JH5 earphone, which has a great sensitivity.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,131 of 4,949

I was having this problem with noise until this new firmwre (V1.14b1) and my Plenue D was purchased new, sealed in the Japanese Amazon (direct them without intermediary seller). I think it's board versions or specific models of phones that detect noise (see in the firmware 1.12 talks about this noise specifically with certain headphones). I currently use the JH5 earphone, which has a great sensitivity.

Maybe that's the difference, mine is not the Japanese Amazon version but the USA Cowon version directly from COWON USA?

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #3,132 of 4,949

Maybe that's the difference, mine is not the Japanese Amazon version but the USA Cowon version directly from COWON USA?

Maybe it is that....

But what matters is that the problem of all was resolved. xD

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,134 of 4,949

I think most of the problems are file related or just from lack of knowledge. It gets annoying when people ask the same old questions without searching this thread or googling though. We live in the 'Want it, want it now' generation, whether it's money, goods or knowledge.

It's quite topical, I have someone who works for me who's endlessly asking me things and never finds out answers for themselves. I mentioned it to my wife expecting her to call me an 'old fart' or something (she's 18 years younger or a whole adult person as she keeps reminding me
mad.gif
) and it winds her up to.

To my recollection, I only recall 2 D's being sent back in this thread, could be wrong though.

These comments are not directed at anyone in particular, just general observations so please don't go emo on me, anyone
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,135 of 4,949
  I think most of the problems are file related or just from lack of knowledge. It gets annoying when people ask the same old questions without searching this thread or googling though. We live in the 'Want it, want it now' generation, whether it's money, goods or knowledge.

It's quite topical, I have someone who works for me who's endlessly asking me things and never finds out answers for themselves. I mentioned it to my wife expecting her to call me an 'old fart' or something (she's 18 years younger or a whole adult person as she keeps reminding me
mad.gif
) and it winds her up to.

To my recollection, I only recall 2 D's being sent back in this thread, could be wrong though.

These comments are not directed at anyone in particular, just general observations so please don't go emo on me, anyone
biggrin.gif

Man, I know it was not for me. But I tried different solutions.

- Covers in and out of the music files.

- Isolate the songs to see if it is not in any specific.

- Use with micro SD and micro SD without.

- Format the internal memory of the player.

- Make firmware downgrade.

- Try music from different formats (MP3 128kbps / 192kbps / 320kbps, FLAC 16bit / 24bit) and sources (CD, internet, website HD Tracks, etc.)

- Using different earphones.

- Try listening with different headphones.

- Read the player's manual 5 times.

- Changing the player settings (EQ, screen functions, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back