Cowon Plenue D
Jul 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,091 of 4,949
  Hi guys!

I don't often post here, but for a while now I am an owner of Plenue D. I am impressed by the general sound and instrument separation. Protective glass for Canon 600D indeed fits ideally :)

However, I have a question, perhaps some of you have similar experience.

Basically, I am listening to the D (pun intended) using Audio Technica's ATH M50x. What makes me wonder is that high frequencies are a bit too exposed.

My ultimate goal was to listen to music without having to fiddle with EQ. I am even wondering if this isn't just me, perhaps I am too sensitive to high tones...

Did anyone of you had similar experience?

Yes, MP Enhance and BBE will add sharpness and sibilance. On the BBE do not go over +3 as that is where it begins. MP Enhance just being on will do it also. I find if you turn off BBE it will give a better centered focus of the artist or the music in general when using an IEM. When used in great amounts it sounds way over processed and fake. If you listen to low volume levels they are ok to use as they add fullness and width. 3D is awful, makes it all sound hollow and fake. This is what I find with IEM's that are very sensitive. IEM's that are rolled off on the high side won't see this at all.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #3,092 of 4,949
Thanks a lot!

Actually, I have turned all effects off, just slightly lowered two highest bands of regular EQ so that the high tones don't drill a hole in my eardrums.

That is really my only complaint, again, it simply can be my ears... But the sound is just magical, I need to voice my amazement with Ludovico Einaudi's Nuvole Bianche, it sounds ******* terrific!

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3,093 of 4,949
  Thanks a lot!

Actually, I have turned all effects off, just slightly lowered two highest bands of regular EQ so that the high tones don't drill a hole in my eardrums.

That is really my only complaint, again, it simply can be my ears... But the sound is just magical, I need to voice my amazement with Ludovico Einaudi's Nuvole Bianche, it sounds ******* terrific!

Yes the EQ is all that I would use to add here and there in using different IEM's or headphones as all else at higher volumes is useless for me. Megabass muddies up the midrange I find. Better off adding in 80Hz instead as it's much lower and does not creep into the higher frequencies like the MegaBass which seems to cover a wider range. Likely it's better for large full sized headphones.

Overall, you can get the same effect with it all the BBE and MP Enhance off and just turn up the volume. Adding +1 on wide in the EQ adds very little but again at high volumes make a big difference and not much more is really needed at any frequency if you have very revealing IEM's. On Ostry almost nothing is needed, where as on W3's I have to tune out low's and add in highs. Blah.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #3,094 of 4,949
  Hi guys!

I don't often post here, but for a while now I am an owner of Plenue D. I am impressed by the general sound and instrument separation. Protective glass for Canon 600D indeed fits ideally :)

However, I have a question, perhaps some of you have similar experience.

Basically, I am listening to the D (pun intended) using Audio Technica's ATH M50x. What makes me wonder is that high frequencies are a bit too exposed.

My ultimate goal was to listen to music without having to fiddle with EQ. I am even wondering if this isn't just me, perhaps I am too sensitive to high tones...

Did anyone of you had similar experience?

You just purchased a DAP that is renowned for it's DSP range... :|

Listening to the Plenue D in 'Normal' is not that much different to using a regular smartphone. The magic starts when applying the DSPs (even mildly so).

Perhaps the Alien Shozy is more your thing, has no EQ at all but sounds sublime...

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #3,095 of 4,949
question deleted, because I found the answer in the (very long) thread here 
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,096 of 4,949
When charging, is the LED light meant to flash green quite so radidly?

How do I know when the battery is full?

Right now I see a black battery with a red lightning bolt inside.  Is that full? Or still charging?

I've had problems where I thought it was asleep and I've come to use it a few days later and the battery is completely dead.  So much for 100 hours or whatever playback.  I don't get more than 5 at the moment.

Also did the Plenue D come with its own charger?  I don't remember.  Maybe the fact I'm using an old cable is part of my problem

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,097 of 4,949
When charging, is the LED light meant to flash green quite so radidly?

How do I know when the battery is full?

Right now I see a black battery with a red lightning bolt inside.  Is that full? Or still charging?

I've had problems where I thought it was asleep and I've come to use it a few days later and the battery is completely dead.  So much for 100 hours or whatever playback.  I don't get more than 5 at the moment.

Also did the Plenue D come with its own charger?  I don't remember.  Maybe the fact I'm using an old cable is part of my problem
box came with just an usb cable

First off I turned led light Off so it doesn't work when I play music or operate it. That white led shines so bright when it flickers lol.

When mine is empty or needs juice, and I plug it to an usb charger a red led light turns on.
When it's full it turns to continuous green. I've never seen it flicker green myself. Maybe it's an overcharged warning? I dunno.

But man do I love my D!
It gets way more time than my Onkyo DP-X1. And that's with stock basic spc trs cable on the D compared to my trrs 8cond silver Therium balanced cable on the DP-X1 ^^

Had D completely out of juice and plugged it for a mere 5-10min max and it kept playing for 7hours

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,098 of 4,949
I have just bought a plenue d. It's my first DAP other than using the phone. I have some shure she 315 iem's but am looking for a good pair of open back over ear headphones to use with them. I don't want to have to use an amp to drive them ideally, as I want to take them with me when travelling for work to use in the hotel rooms etc, So I want to maintain a level or portability. I'm looking at hifiman he400i - would these be a good match to drive directly from the PD? What do you recommend? Thanks!

John

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,099 of 4,949
I recreated the PD in Illustrator because I wanted an icon for it to show up in OS X's finder. It's still a little bit work in progress because it has no playing screen.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated and I happily share the file(s) if somebody wants them.

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,100 of 4,949
box came with just an usb cable

First off I turned led light Off so it doesn't work when I play music or operate it. That white led shines so bright when it flickers lol.

When mine is empty or needs juice, and I plug it to an usb charger a red led light turns on.
When it's full it turns to continuous green. I've never seen it flicker green myself. Maybe it's an overcharged warning? I dunno.

But man do I love my D!
It gets way more time than my Onkyo DP-X1. And that's with stock basic spc trs cable on the D compared to my trrs 8cond silver Therium balanced cable on the DP-X1 ^^

Had D completely out of juice and plugged it for a mere 5-10min max and it kept playing for 7hours

Just connected to my laptop with the USB and its a red light.  Hopefully it's charging now.

Connecting to the mains, it's a green rapid flashing light and definitely wasn't charging properly.  

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,101 of 4,949
Comparison: Cowon Plenue D Vs FiiO X3 II

The FiiO II X3 has more power, so it took me to find a certain volume point. But anyway, here's the details I could perceive the sound of both.

I noticed a larger soundstage in the face FiiO X3 II.

The serious FiiO were a little out of control, I found kind of fat and shapeless.

The mids are equivalent in both players.

Treble of FiiO II X3 I found more accurate than the Plenue D.

Overall I liked the result with the FiiO X3 II, he has a very clear sound and excellent sound stage, and despite not being serious as I wanted, it's just a small detail in view of all of the music presentation. I think the tie-breaker here in the end is the earphone to be used, the decision between only physical buttons or touch screen + physical buttons, battery life and having or not DAC function to use on the PC.

Earphone used in the comparison: JH5 PRO

Configuration used: No equalization and high gain in FiiO X3; without equalization in Cowon Plenue D.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,102 of 4,949
I have just bought a plenue d. It's my first DAP other than using the phone. I have some shure she 315 iem's but am looking for a good pair of open back over ear headphones to use with them. I don't want to have to use an amp to drive them ideally, as I want to take them with me when travelling for work to use in the hotel rooms etc, So I want to maintain a level or portability. I'm looking at hifiman he400i - would these be a good match to drive directly from the PD? What do you recommend? Thanks!

John

You'd want to use a pretty efficient open back can to get the most out of your Plenue. I use my Fidelio X2 sometimes, and that's a great combination for me. The HE400i is a similar sound, although less efficient. Ideally the Plenue D should be best served by efficient IEMs or closed back portable cans. I would suggest that if you like the HE400i sound signature, do try out the Fidelio X2.

Else, there are a few other options like Philips' own SHP9500, Shure SRH1840, etc. And if you don't mind closed back cans, there are many more options;( I use Sony h.ear on (MDR 100AAP))Shure SRH1540, Oppo PM3, Master & Dynamic MH40/ 30, and many more.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,103 of 4,949
I give a thumbs up for the HE400i as a decent open back. Also consider the 400s as it was optimized for portable devices and has a very similar signature. I've been using mine with IEMs exclusively as I use it while walking. Campfire Lyra and Jupiter sound wonderful with the D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back