Cowon Plenue D
May 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2,686 of 4,949
I actually think the Plenue D isn't bad in terms of pricing. It's not nearly as expensive as a lot of the other players out there, and the build quality seems classy (old CPU etc aside!).

I picked mine up for about $300 AUD. For reference, this is about the same as what I payed for a Cowon J3 a few years ago, iPod Classic before that, Sony NWA3000, mini disc player, even a quality discman was about the same price. It's basically the price I have always paid!
basically that dude is delusional. Tell him to create a dap instead :p

May 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #2,687 of 4,949
basically that dude is delusional. Tell him to create a dap instead
tongue.gif

Nope.

The companies on this site are delusional.. 
The touchscreen was maybe expensive when it first came out in mid 2000's.

The marketing scheme of companies on this site makes you guys think you guys should pay that much money for a device which has apparently worse touchscreen, wifi, cpu, battery life than that of a $50 prepaid phone.

So, what I'm saying is all these price tags are questionable. As you can see, you can get a touchscreen, wi-fi, snapdragon CPU, full resolution, Android 5 OS device for only $59 now. They don't ask you for contract either...
It could cost $799 if it came out in mid 2000's but not anymore...

Whatever man... even If I say this thousand times, you will spend ten thousand dollars on a DAP without touchscreen or CPU. 

Good luck, I'll log off.

May 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2,688 of 4,949
Quote:
But considering the option of using a cheap smartphone docked with a decent portable amp is a very sound approach.

This discussion of phones vs expensive DAPs is interesting and FYI the same goes for a range of current android tablets. This quote also brings up my current dilemma. Perhaps someone has a solution for me.

I have two J3s, both working fine and with two replacement batteries sitting on the shelf just in case. I/we use the J3s primarily as portables, using good over the ear phones.

Good as they are, the J3s don't measure up to the SQ of my main land-based rig: the difference is easy for me hear.

I want to have a second, smaller land-based setup away from my big system, and for it I already have a very good headphone amp, and both HD600s and HD650s. What I need is something to hold files and drive this amp. I would be using exclusively FLAC files ripped from CDs.

Running the J3 into this headphone amp is a significant SQ advance over the J3 driving HD600s/650s directly. I rather like the result.[By the way, for me it is better to max out the headphone amp gain and adjust the gain of the J3 rather than setting the J3 at its maximum as recommended by Cowon.]

So here's the query: would I actually notice a difference in SQ if I replaced the J3 with a D, with both used as a pseudo line out into my headphone amp?

May 15, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,689 of 4,949
  Nope.

The marketing scheme of companies on this site makes you guys think you guys should pay that much money for a device which has apparently worse touchscreen, wifi, cpu, battery life than that of a $50 prepaid phone.

So, what I'm saying is all these price tags are questionable. As you can see, you can get a touchscreen, wi-fi, snapdragon CPU, full resolution, Android 5 OS device for only $59 now. They don't ask you for contract either...

Whatever man... even If I say this thousand times, you will spend ten thousand dollars on a DAP without touchscreen or CPU. 

Good luck, I'll log off.

I was kind of out of the loop with assorted players for a few years until I started to look into a replacement for my J3. When I looked at the options available, I was stunned to see so many players up around the $1000 mark. THAT seems like over kill to me absolutely, especially with the weird quirks many players have. I'd love to have the kind of money that would allow me to own these devices, but sadly I'm not rich! I agree that if I was paying $1000 I'd want it to have excellent, well, pretty much everything.

I think that everyone has a price they are comfortable with, and different definors of value. I'm comfortable paying $300 for a dedicated portable audio player, other people would think I'm insane. Would I like to pay less? Absolutely! But I'm used to paying this price and for a device that will (hopefully) last me around 5 years and the value manifests itself in a tangible way (ie; the music sounds great). Some people are comfortable paying $300 for a bottle of wine, and even though I can't share their passion I don't doubt that it's worth it for them.

Living in Australia, we get gauged to hell and back with pricing on a lot of things. An iPhone for example is over $1000 which just hurts my soul. I managed to get a Sony Xperia Z for $400 only a month after it released, which seemed to be crazy value for money. 2 years later, I paid $100 more for a phone that was only marginally better and actually not as good in other areas. The price of the flagship phones has almost doubled in the space of a few years, and they are less impressive in terms of tangible upgrades to me. THAT ****s me much more than the price of the Plenue D lol.

May 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,690 of 4,949

basically that dude is delusional. Tell him to create a dap instead
tongue.gif

Nope.

Good luck, I'll log off.

Not sure why people are flagging this, other than it's off-topic, but I'm going to reply instead.  This is a bad comparison.

The reason you can get a $50 smartphone with many features is because they are made in HUGE quantities and sold at a loss, in effect. However, that $50 will have 16 GB memory at most. Note that you still pay for memory! You also get more battery life as they don't have to drive full-sized headphones, which suck most of the battery of a DAP, and that is before we even consider battery-draining library management and high-res audio playback. Want DSD? Stock on a $50 smart phone? Good luck with that!

A DAP like a Cowan or AK will be made in vastly smaller quantities and have custom designed audio hardware inside, which will make up the bulk of the unit, as well as a custom aluminium case, which is equally expensive, even if simple in design. Sourcing consistently high-quality metal casework is much harder than you think. 

The custom electronics will then have to be manufactured including custom electronics for the Android system, which by far isn't anywhere near at cheap as it will be for a huge phone manufacturer, even an OEM. Then you have to pay people to write custom software for Android to work with the hardware. 

Then you have to organise packaging, which is not cheap either. Also manuals, accessories, supply chain, customer and dealer support, dealer network, software development including bug-fixing and upgrades and a bunch of other costs you wont have imagined. Good luck getting any of that on your $50 phone!

I recommend reading Jason Stoddard's "Schiit Happened" story for an idea what manufacturing really is like, as it is not as simple as you may imagine, by a long shot. 

May 15, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #2,691 of 4,949
Not sure why people are flagging this, other than it's off-topic, but I'm going to reply instead.  This is a bad comparison.

The reason you can get a $50 smartphone with many features is because they are made in HUGE quantities and sold at a loss, in effect. However, that $50 will have 16 GB memory at most. Note that you still pay for memory! You also get more battery life as they don't have to drive full-sized headphones, which suck most of the battery of a DAP, and that is before we even consider battery-draining library management and high-res audio playback. Want DSD? Stock on a $50 smart phone? Good luck with that!

A DAP like a Cowan or AK will be made in vastly smaller quantities and have custom designed audio hardware inside, which will make up the bulk of the unit, as well as a custom aluminium case, which is equally expensive, even if simple in design. Sourcing consistently high-quality metal casework is much harder than you think. 

The custom electronics will then have to be manufactured including custom electronics for the Android system, which by far isn't anywhere near at cheap as it will be for a huge phone manufacturer, even an OEM. Then you have to pay people to write custom software for Android to work with the hardware. 

Then you have to organise packaging, which is not cheap either. Also manuals, accessories, supply chain, customer and dealer support, dealer network, software development including bug-fixing and upgrades and a bunch of other costs you wont have imagined. Good luck getting any of that on your $50 phone!

I recommend reading Jason Stoddard's "Schiit Happened" story for an idea what manufacturing really is like, as it is not as simple as you may imagine, by a long shot. 
i think he is just a hater and this will create unnecessary debate here with his posts.

May 15, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,692 of 4,949

You're an endorsed reviewer who gets free units so you shouldn't participate in this debate.
This debate is coming from consumers' point of view, not a reviewer's who gets free units. 

The debate is done and I won't comment any longer. 

As I have said, I will log-off. 

Opinions are yours... and my opinions are provided.  
I bought a DX100 for $699. Its UI and OS take 10 minutes to load files every time you turn it on, not to mention about its 4 hour long battery life. 

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-10-0-ft-Cable/dp/B004LRBJ76/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51pDOFzYOJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ZY3F2CPXWTY77PTFC2Y

Would you endorse this USB cable too? I wonder if you can get anything out of a normally produced USB cable.

May 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,694 of 4,949
i think he is just a hater and this will create unnecessary debate here with his posts.
He and his buddy can hate but they should create their own thread .

May 15, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,695 of 4,949
Indeed. Considering I bought the two DAPs I actually used -- the DX100 (for which I had the same complaints as everyone else) and the AK240 (the others either sit here for comparisons in the future or are given away) he really doesn't have an argument. 

I think it's time to get back to Cowon discussion. 

May 16, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,697 of 4,949
Indeed. Considering I bought the two DAPs I actually used -- the DX100 (for which I had the same complaints as everyone else) and the AK240 (the others either sit here for comparisons in the future or are given away) he really doesn't have an argument. 

I think it's time to get back to Cowan discussion. 

Well said. But I humbly request you to note that the name should be spelt 'Cowon'. :)

Cheers and good points well made. Thanks for directing the thread back to the Plenue D. And on that note, yours truly shall wait for delivery of my newly ordered Gold PD unit.

Cheers again

May 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #2,698 of 4,949
I just bought the PD from the Jetaudio Ebay store for $229.99. I couldn't resist that price and that battery. 
Now to search for some IEM's. MEE audio Pinnacle P1? 1MORE Triple Driver? Dunu Titan 5? RHA MA750?
I'd prefer detachable cables.

Talk about uneven pricing. I even considered ordering off Amazon where its currently around 270$, then ordering to my cousin's address in California, having him ship it to yours truly in New Delhi, India, and still the cost equalled what the local Indian dealer is offering. Suffice to say, i ordered it locally, totalling approx 365 USD in all. The only good part is that i get a local warranty.

Ah well, I guess life's just like that.

May 16, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,700 of 4,949
Talk about uneven pricing. I even considered ordering off Amazon where its currently around 270$, then ordering to my cousin's address in California, having him ship it to yours truly in New Delhi, India, and still the cost equalled what the local Indian dealer is offering. Suffice to say, i ordered it locally, totalling approx 365 USD in all. The only good part is that i get a local warranty.

Ah well, I guess life's just like that.

$241 right now on Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back