Cowon Plenue D
May 16, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,716 of 4,949
I rather not have an antenna, Wifi receiving/broadcasting device to be on the same device as a DAP. Purity is the key to audio and for the OCD people a peace of mind "to think" they are really hearing the best at all times. If people don't care about audio get a $50.00 phone and connect it however you want. Most purists won't want that, I sure do not.

My phone does everything I can imagine already, I don't like these two devices mixed together. For on the go who cares sure it's nice, but when I want to be serious a DAP without all that is idea. Some things just don't go together. Show me ONE professional audio recording studio device or DAP or mixing board or recording device that has a Wifi or email capability on it. You won't and there is a reason why. 

I understand.. Hence why I have a separate DAP as well.. I was simply stating what I said for those who don't want to splurge on a DAP but want to get their taste for "Lossless Audio". However, if you turn the Mobile data, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi off you can actually minimize processor and memory usage, so you can maximize sound quality while on the go..

However, when you stated "Show me ONE professional audio recording studio device or DAP or mixing board or recording device that has Wi-Fi or email capability on it. You won't and there's a reason why." That's not really a fair statement.. Plenty of artists use laptops or computers to record nowadays.. There has been a shift in the way modern artists are getting their recording done.. For example Periphery, Meshuggah, After the Burial, or Anup Sastry.. They all use their computers/Laptops to record on to directly and mix.. Which a lot of it is done within the confines of their own homes.. Yes, there are plenty of other examples where your statement is the norm.. And honestly, I agree with your statement.. But I am confused to what your expectations are.. One hand you want an audio device to have complete connectivity, and also have purity features as well.. Gotta choose one or the other, you can't have both by your logic.. Not mine..

The point being, there are players like the Astell & Kern AK380 that has Wi-Fi, and Fiio X7, that offer Wi-Fi.. And they sound VERY good.. Perhaps You worded the question incorrectly, so I misunderstood what you were asking.. Either way.. There's enough options in Audio industry for everyone to be happy with at least one device.

May 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,717 of 4,949
I understand.. Hence why I have a separate DAP as well.. I was simply stating what I said for those who don't want to splurge on a DAP but want to get their taste for "Lossless Audio". However, if you turn the Mobile data, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi off you can actually minimize processor and memory usage, so you can maximize sound quality while on the go..

However, when you stated "Show me ONE professional audio recording studio device or DAP or mixing board or recording device that has Wi-Fi or email capability on it. You won't and there's a reason why." That's not really a fair statement.. Plenty of artists use laptops or computers to record nowadays.. There has been a shift in the way modern artists are getting their recording done.. For example Periphery, Meshuggah, After the Burial, or Anup Sastry.. They all use their computers/Laptops to record on to directly and mix.. Which a lot of it is done within the confines of their own homes.. Yes, there are plenty of other examples where your statement is the norm.. And honestly, I agree with your statement.. But I am confused to what your expectations are.. One hand you want an audio device to have complete connectivity, and also have purity features as well.. Gotta choose one or the other, you can't have both by your logic.. Not mine..

The point being, there are players like the Astell & Kern AK380 that has Wi-Fi, and Fiio X7, that offer Wi-Fi.. And they sound VERY good.. Perhaps You worded the question incorrectly, so I misunderstood what you were asking.. Either way.. There's enough options in Audio industry for everyone to be happy with at least one device.

I have no expectations. Just sharing an opinion of the other side of what audio purists think and feel. Some will want one device that will do it all. Some will not. I already been there done that. Classic example, an Ipod Touch. It lags and stutters when Wifi is on and you are playing music because you can browse the internet on it or check you mail or play games or run apps, ruined the experience and the music at the same time. I know devices today are fast and better but at a cost of battery life. Why does the D get such a great battery life? Cause one reason and one reason alone. It's made to do one thing and that's play music, nothing else nothing more.

In addition, what I mean by professional, and I mean "professional studio quality" devices like JOECO BLACKBOX PLAYER BBP1A - ADAT OPTICAL I/O that cost 
$3,495.00,​
you are not going to see these devices with Wifi or have an option to check your email or stream music while playing back audio. It's a purpose built recorder for a "purpose." Just for kicks, call the manufacturer and say "I don't see an option to check my email on your player or stream the music via Wifi to my media devices but I want the best audio performance, watch what they will say; go buy a phone or something and likely laugh at you.

~Cheers.

May 17, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,718 of 4,949
I have no expectations. Just sharing an opinion of the other side of what audio purists think and feel. Some will want one device that will do it all. Some will not. I already been there done that. Classic example, an Ipod Touch. It lags and stutters when Wifi is on and you are playing music because you can browse the internet on it or check you mail or play games or run apps, ruined the experience and the music at the same time. I know devices today are fast and better but at a cost of battery life. Why does the D get such a great battery life? Cause one reason and one reason alone. It's made to do one thing and that's play music, nothing else nothing more.

In addition, what I mean by professional, and I mean "professional studio quality" devices like JOECO BLACKBOX PLAYER BBP1A - ADAT OPTICAL I/O that cost 
$3,495.00,​
you are not going to see these devices with Wifi or have an option to check your email or stream music while playing back audio. It's a purpose built recorder for a "purpose." Just for kicks, call the manufacturer and say "I don't see an option to check my email on your player or stream the music via Wifi to my media devices but I want the best audio performance, watch what they will say; go buy a phone or something and likely laugh at you.

~Cheers.

Lol.. Like I said before.. I agree with you that Dedicated Audio Equipment should only do one thing.. (Play music) I was simply bringing to the table the other side (the consumerist) who wants it all.. And there is no right or wrong.. Just better for everyone when we all get a player that does what we expect out of it.. I'm more than happy with the DX80, and M2, but I hold a special place in my ears for the Plenue D.. In terms of sheer energetic listening, it's one of the hardest players to beat. Especially if you consider the price point. If there was an external DAC that contained primarily Muses chips such as the Muses 02, and the Muses 8920, I'd be pretty happy especially if it used the CS4398 or AK4490.. For my personal tastes, the Sabre ES9018 is just a little too analytical for me.. Trust me, I love my details, but I also love the Sub Bass in music, a lot of times the Sub Bass gets toned down to be labeled as "Tight" "Controlled" but I feel like that something is lost in translation. Cellos, Bass guitars and Tubas lose their life and thunderous presence. Guess that's why I love the Shanling M5 so much, it has all the internal components I want in a player.. Which the M5 is next on my list of DAPs to buy. June 21 can't come soon enough.. Lol (Getting it for my birthday from the wife to me)

When it's all said and done, I sincerely believe we're saying the same thing, just taking opposite paradigms to get the same point across. The bigger point, we all know what we want.. It's up to these manufacturers to decide for themselves who they will please first. My guess, please the consumerists at the $500 and below, and the Audio purists $500+..

May 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,720 of 4,949
Lol.. Like I said before.. I agree with you that Dedicated Audio Equipment should only do one thing.. (Play music) I was simply bringing to the table the other side (the consumerist) who wants it all.. And there is no right or wrong.. Just better for everyone when we all get a player that does what we expect out of it.. I'm more than happy with the DX80, and M2, but I hold a special place in my ears for the Plenue D.. In terms of sheer energetic listening, it's one of the hardest players to beat. Especially if you consider the price point. If there was an external DAC that contained primarily Muses chips such as the Muses 02, and the Muses 8920, I'd be pretty happy especially if it used the CS4398 or AK4490.. For my personal tastes, the Sabre ES9018 is just a little too analytical for me.. Trust me, I love my details, but I also love the Sub Bass in music, a lot of times the Sub Bass gets toned down to be labeled as "Tight" "Controlled" but I feel like that something is lost in translation. Cellos, Bass guitars and Tubas lose their life and thunderous presence. Guess that's why I love the Shanling M5 so much, it has all the internal components I want in a player.. Which the M5 is next on my list of DAPs to buy. June 21 can't come soon enough.. Lol (Getting it for my birthday from the wife to me)

When it's all said and done, I sincerely believe we're saying the same thing, just taking opposite paradigms to get the same point across. The bigger point, we all know what we want.. It's up to these manufacturers to decide for themselves who they will please first. My guess, please the consumerists at the $500 and below, and the Audio purists $500+..

Yes I agree with you.

May 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,721 of 4,949

then what are those people called at $500 on the dot

May 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,725 of 4,949
Sure, an "Informed Consumer". Lol..

By the way, Mid-Fi'er was hilarious..

tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back