Cowon Plenue D
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,516 of 4,954
the lather case only in blue ?!

no, you can get it in brown as well
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COWON-PLENUE-D-Leather-Case-Brown-color-EXPRESS-Shipping-/170657501191?hash=item27bbfad007:g:gvoAAOSwJb9WsgrV

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,518 of 4,954
Hi
It is a very natural sounding dap
Not clinical like the Ak j
The good -battery life ,menue response ,size, eq ,drives 32 ohm headphons ok
The bad - no line out /on digital out , the lather case only in blue ?!

The 'bad' entries apply equally to the AK Jr. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #1,519 of 4,954
Thanks for the replies, I think I will give the plenue D a shot, If there was a significant difference in sound I would happily pay the extra but I don't see the point of paying at least £300 extra for things I won't really use. I just want to plug in my earphones and play music, I don't need a line out or a large screen just so long as I can find a folder press play and start listening that's about as technical as it gets for me with daps. I've got an ibasso dx90 and while it's very detailed and all in all a very good dap I am finding it a bit flat and boring and want something with a bit more soul
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,520 of 4,954
Feb 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,523 of 4,954

Speaking as someone who designs analog/digital audio gear (not daps).

Burn-in, unless we're talking about something physical like a speaker cone, or something inconsistent like vacuum tubes, is all in our heads. Modern daps use precision components and have for years. Even the lower end ones. Our brains have a tendency to fool us, everyone is susceptible. Especially if your brain is subconsciously 'looking' for a difference. If we expect there to be a difference after ten hours, we'll often think we hear it. If we have doubts about a product, we might not. 

Simply put, if a modern piece of electronics gear has no moving parts, and is using modern components, brand-name capacitors and codecs/dacs, then you should expect NO change in characteristics that are actually there, at least during the first few years. If a modern piece of gear with no moving parts changes its audio characteristics within hours/days of being brand-new, then it's either defective, or poorly designed, or as a stretch it has been built-in to trick the consumer.

For my analog/digital work, I have to pour over datasheets for all kinds of components. Including codecs, adcs, dacs and opamps (amps). Audio/electrical charactaristics change with temperature, current, depending on how you use it, and so on. But burn-in time isn't a factor. It's not the 1970s anymore.

The way these things are designed, saying there's burn-in time for the microcontroller coupled with the codec/dac, precision output caps and/or possible a headphone amp, makes about as much sense as needing to burn-in a glass by filling it with water several times, before it can be full. At least to EEs who work with modern parts.

This are the things I am wondering about, maybe someone knows the answers:
About the burn in time: It might be the case that the burn in time is not so much the DAP but instead our brains. When listening to sounds you never heard before your ears/brains must learn to distinguish from other sounds it heard in the past. Like learning a new language. At first you are not able to hear all kind of subtle differences, but over time you learn to distinguish and recognize the differences.
The earphones are a big part of the experience and need to be able to (re)produce the nuances we (think to) hear. Maybe the earphones we use are simply not good enough to showcase the quality of the DAP.
Another thing I am wondering is if the quality of the music is good enough to demonstrate the (perceived) better quality. I mean when I am listening to flacs I created from CD's, are those good enough to show the differences in quality between the better players.
The DA conversion always introduces some noise(/distortion?) to the sound (compared to the original sound). Is it possible that the better quality DAP's make it possible to hear this noise, while for a less quality DAP this noise never reaches the output?

So I am currently using RHA MA750 earphones. Are these good enough for the D? Or should I invest more money in the earphones?

Thanks everyone for all the interesting points they make in this thread. I am going slowly through all of it and enjoy it tremendously.
Regards Renetemp

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,524 of 4,954
Since I got the plenue D, I have found myself bringing it and my rha ma750i's in to work and going for a walk at lunchtime just to listen to them. The rha's to me sound awesome with the D, but if you haven't got them already, I would recommend getting a pair of comply eartips for them. I have the tsx200s and they improve the isolation and sound quality so much.

I love my oppo PM-3s, but I don't feel shortchanged when listening through my rha's. I just feel really happy to have got a pair of in ears and a pair of over ears that I am really happy with. I don't think you need to upgrade your rha's but do get some comply eartips, and make sure the rha's are properly run in- they need loads of burn in time.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,526 of 4,954
  ~86 hours from full to dead on MP3 playback unloaded. I'll do one more test on AAC files loaded and extrapolate the difference. 

You might have told earlier, but could you please share some details about your config? (Headphone, volume level, mp3 resolution, eq setting - if any). I'm just curious as I cannot get more than 57 hours out of my Plenue D... Thanks.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,528 of 4,954
ive been using these together with the Q jays that i got on a review tour. The Q Jays rolled around the Plenue D fit in my typical IEM soft carrying case (its the fitear soft carrying case if you guys are wondering). AH FINALLY, FREEDOM FROM A BAG! I reckon I could fit a CIEM with the Plenue D into that soft carrying case as well since the bloody thing is tiny. 57 hours is already a gigantic upgrade from the 5 or so I used to get with the Calyx M so no complaints there. It is able to run the Shure 1540 with more authority than the X7 (IMO at least) so definitely no complaints there either. All in all, a great purchase. The only problem that I have is that the damn thing is a bit laggy

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,529 of 4,954

Speaking as someone who designs analog/digital audio gear (not daps).

Burn-in, unless we're talking about something physical like a speaker cone, or something inconsistent like vacuum tubes, is all in our heads. Modern daps use precision components and have for years. Even the lower end ones. Our brains have a tendency to fool us, everyone is susceptible. Especially if your brain is subconsciously 'looking' for a difference. If we expect there to be a difference after ten hours, we'll often think we hear it. If we have doubts about a product, we might not. 

Simply put, if a modern piece of electronics gear has no moving parts, and is using modern components, brand-name capacitors and codecs/dacs, then you should expect NO change in characteristics that are actually there, at least during the first few years. If a modern piece of gear with no moving parts changes its audio characteristics within hours/days of being brand-new, then it's either defective, or poorly designed, or as a stretch it has been built-in to trick the consumer.

For my analog/digital work, I have to pour over datasheets for all kinds of components. Including codecs, adcs, dacs and opamps (amps). Audio/electrical charactaristics change with temperature, current, depending on how you use it, and so on. But burn-in time isn't a factor. It's not the 1970s anymore.

The way these things are designed, saying there's burn-in time for the microcontroller coupled with the codec/dac, precision output caps and/or possible a headphone amp, makes about as much sense as needing to burn-in a glass by filling it with water several times, before it can be full. At least to EEs who work with modern parts.

This are the things I am wondering about, maybe someone knows the answers:
About the burn in time: It might be the case that the burn in time is not so much the DAP but instead our brains. When listening to sounds you never heard before your ears/brains must learn to distinguish from other sounds it heard in the past. Like learning a new language. At first you are not able to hear all kind of subtle differences, but over time you learn to distinguish and recognize the differences.
The earphones are a big part of the experience and need to be able to (re)produce the nuances we (think to) hear. Maybe the earphones we use are simply not good enough to showcase the quality of the DAP.
Another thing I am wondering is if the quality of the music is good enough to demonstrate the (perceived) better quality. I mean when I am listening to flacs I created from CD's, are those good enough to show the differences in quality between the better players.
The DA conversion always introduces some noise(/distortion?) to the sound (compared to the original sound). Is it possible that the better quality DAP's make it possible to hear this noise, while for a less quality DAP this noise never reaches the output?

So I am currently using RHA MA750 earphones. Are these good enough for the D? Or should I invest more money in the earphones?

Thanks everyone for all the interesting points they make in this thread. I am going slowly through all of it and enjoy it tremendously.
Regards Renetemp

Yes, the RHA MA-750's are fantastic with the Plenue D.. I personally prefer a Bassier Sound signature, so I prefer the MA-600's while on the go, and the T10's when wanting to have more refinement. But like I said, I prefer a darker signature.. If you want a more neutral tone.. The 750's are the way to go.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,530 of 4,954
Yes, the RHA MA-750's are fantastic with the Plenue D.. I personally prefer a Bassier Sound signature, so I prefer the MA-600's while on the go, and the T10's when wanting to have more refinement. But like I said, I prefer a darker signature.. If you want a more neutral tone.. The 750's are the way to go.

can tell me whats so nice abt the ma750 haha so when i audition it again i can listen more carefully
i dont like it personally...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back