Cowon Plenue D
Jan 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #556 of 4,949
Strange how almost everyone is hearing a hiss on the DX80.. I don't hear any.. but perhaps, it's because I don't own any Super sensitive IEMs.. I used various full sized cans today at the local Apple store, I thought it had no issue powering those.. Especially the Master & Dynamic MH-40.. I felt it was very neutral in tone, nothing too bright nothing too bland.. just ruler flat.. really nice.. but again.. those aren't high impedance headphones.. but I did really like the way they sounded. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #557 of 4,949
The Plenue D and S.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #559 of 4,949
The Plenue D and S.

Is that Karajan's Beethoven symphonies cycle?
tongue.gif

I finally bit the bullet and placed an order of the D 
biggrin.gif
 Hopefully it'll arrive in the week
The reason is to put my 100GB+ classical music collection on it
sadly they're all ripped by myself so there is no album cover whatsoever

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #560 of 4,949
Weird a have spoken to 2 guys an talld me that Cowon is more analog and detailed sound not dx 80.
For me the eq is a must.
I can't decide.
I read more than a year x7 thread, p1,zx2, l5 pro and i don't know what to order.I want a clear sound with good mids and punchy bass/low end.
Not thin/analytical sound.
The eq on ibasso is good?
Any other comparision?
Sorry for may english!

Guys?
Guys

IMO Cowon are Kings of EQ. I struggle to believe that with enough patience you can't achieve a sound signature that is to your liking/pairing with your favourite headphones.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #561 of 4,949
IMO Cowon are Kings of EQ. I struggle to believe that with enough patience you can't achieve a sound signature that is to your liking/pairing with your favourite headphones.

Thank you Bruce.I still have j3 but i wonder if the cowon d has clean sound and power ro drive 50-60 ohm headphones.
I wonder the eq on dx80 is good?
It is worh extra cash for de m model strictly on sq if i don't pare with hungry cans?

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #564 of 4,949
I listened to it for over 5 hours today, total bliss to my ears. Very neutral sounding, hiss free, it just let's the music sing. I played it flat with the exception of a few poorly produced tracks on Bandcamp. I used the BBEViVA2 setting for those to add a little more weight.

The D paired well with my MF200'S which was surprising considering someone said the D was bright. My MF200'S sounded bright when I first tried them but I could just be getting used to them as they're pretty new or it could be the Colorfly C3 I paired it with (most likely).

I threw every genre at the D (all FLAC / 24 Bit FLAC) I could think of and it coped admirably with all of them. I particularly loved the bass depth, nice and deep, well controlled with no boom. I put on the 'Kauan - Sorni Nai' album to hear the first track, I ended up playing the whole thing, it just sounded lush and it enveloped me, I couldn't turn it off.

Unit weight is not an issue for me, I had it in a shirt pocket for a couple of hours, it's nice and compact.

Scrolling is not A1 but perfectly usable once you get the knack. Personally, I don't think it needs an amp, it seems like overkill and would make it less portable in my eyes. I wouldn't want to change the sound and it drives my headphones with ease.

I'm going to pair it with my AKG550'S in the next couple of days and experiment a little with it. I think it will pair really well with the 550.

This is just my initial impression of the D and it's just my opinion of it. I'm by no means an expert. I would definitely audition it if you're in the market for a new DAP when it becomes more readily available.

I haven't tried it with iems as I'm prone to infections when using them so I cannot comment on their performance.

If they can sort out the scrolling via firmware and if cost effective cases etc become more available, I'll be pretty happy.

Probably not that much help, but that's my first impressions regarding the D
happy_face1.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #565 of 4,949
I have mine on the way , I also ordered the blue leather case, gorgeous, and I think my brother to my xb90 to dominican republic for his wife, so ordered another and the brother to sony z5, the xba a3, and lz a2, from import express, it was 120 with the mic, it's weird to order from companies like that it's all done on faith, also ordered from amazon xduoo x3, the 12e from fiio and the stack for my x5 and fiio 12e also comes with the silver wire, pretty soon I won't need too many things, just cases that I also ordered for both note 10.1 and note 8.0 tablets plus glass protector, these tablets with or without beats a lot of players in performance they come with wolfson dac so fiio 17k or 7k excellent can velcro anyway you want, the 10 inch is for the house , the 8 inch is on the go it's like iPad mini, but it's a computer, but I like gadgets so I waste money like women do on shoes

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #569 of 4,949
Honestly all I'll probably get are some less expensive earbuds and one more player, I wanted something good but a little different from my x5 1st generation, my note tablet 8 inch has bluetooth, and once input the hybrid case on it with the extra glass protect ,it's like my phone a tank, and has bluetooth, with those and my phone with the 18k and x5 with either amps , and now the cowon plenue d, I'll use the little fiio andes with it, as I get older I feel my ear are less sensitive so I can push a little more, but ,in a comfortable state, now the only other player I'm thinking of could be, nothing expensive, I buy on special, sometimes used,but mint,and I have a few over the headphones ,I got sd cards the rest is enjoying them on my daily activities, plus the gym or whatever,

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #570 of 4,949
I read a review that apple phones do not play cd quality, like the Samsung phones, wow, that's crazy, only if people knew, but I guess you can't tell because their good I love my ipod touch with amp and dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back